Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 05:49 PM

253 posts, read 126,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
Glad I grew up in a time that didn't exist.
When you grew up, were gay people routinely beat up, arrested, and charged with crimes?

When you grew up, did a pregnant teen get sent away to "visit Auntie" until the situation was resolved?

When you grew up, did women have a world of options other than wife and mother?

When you grew up, was inter-racial marriage legal nationwide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 04:31 AM

77 posts, read 136,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Tell your friend to read all the threads by the OP, a first grader would know, that this person should not be teaching any child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Reminds me of former TN Senator Bill Frist, who "diagnosed" Terri Schiavo by viewing a videotape.
Things said in prior posts by the OP:
My coworkers hated me at my job because of my entitled attitude, lack of initiative, and moodiness.

Even with my problems with mental health I don’t really have an excuse for flaking on several decent jobs and being forced to “boomerang” home in my early 30s.

I am so entitled and have such a lack of initiative I would be homeless if not for my mom.

I purchased a lethal dose of fentanyl off the streets of San Francisco but I stupidly told my uncle when he came unexpectedly to drive me back “home” to Iowa. Now I don’t have a way out.

I fill my time with suicidal ideation, masturbation, chain smoking, pacing around aimlessly and Internet use.

My life is a complete mess and there is no way of fixing it and finding meaning again. I now live with my mom in the suburbs of Des Moines

I feel awkward interacting with the public and have never successfully done so.

Wherever I go I am always instinctively looking for a ledge to hang myself from, etc. I don’t see anything else worth doing.

Does that sound like someone you want teaching your child?

Old 10-10-2023, 05:05 AM

lthenderson: This was the original question introduced in this topic:

"I am moving back to my home state from California, and am thinking about getting a teaching license. Do you think I should bother with this as a trans woman? Would I face discrimination? I will be living in the Des Moines Area but will probably look for jobs in the other metros as well (Quad Cities, IA City). Thanks."

Responses were formed based upon a fairly simple binary question (without any additional information) about a transgender person entering the teaching profession. Unknown personal struggles by this person are irrelevant to that question and if those former statements are accurate, this person would have challenges in ANY job. So, if I read you accurately, because THIS transgender person may not be successful in a teaching role, the door should be slammed shut for ALL transgender people?

If a white, straight, christian high school coach coerces a teen student into a sexual relationship, should all white, straight, christian coaches be banned from similar roles? It's the person, not the class of people that look like the person.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:53 PM

77 posts, read 136,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
lthenderson: This was the original question introduced in this topic:

"I am moving back to my home state from California, and am thinking about getting a teaching license. Do you think I should bother with this as a trans woman? Would I face discrimination? I will be living in the Des Moines Area but will probably look for jobs in the other metros as well (Quad Cities, IA City). Thanks."

Responses were formed based upon a fairly simple binary question (without any additional information) about a transgender person entering the teaching profession. Unknown personal struggles by this person are irrelevant to that question and if those former statements are accurate, this person would have challenges in ANY job. So, if I read you accurately, because THIS transgender person may not be successful in a teaching role, the door should be slammed shut for ALL transgender people?

If a white, straight, christian high school coach coerces a teen student into a sexual relationship, should all white, straight, christian coaches be banned from similar roles? It's the person, not the class of people that look like the person.
As I stated in my original response to the OP many pages ago, anybody whose is outside of societal norms, whether by appearance or things they said in an interview, would get extra scrutiny before I would hire them and that would include someone with racist tattoos or transgender. I wouldn't know a Christian high school coach from a heathen one by looks alone and since it is prohibited from asking about religion in an interview, unless they said something offbeat in their interview, they would both stand an equal chance of me hiring them. Most definitely I would not hire the OP if doing a reference check, any of the above quoted things were revealed.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:33 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
I think it is such a sad world we now live in where people have such issues about what gender they may or may not be. Glad I grew up in a time that didn't exist. But these days there is too much sickness to even measure in our society so not any surprise. I would have to agree, they shouldn't be teaching the kids.
It did exist back when you were growing up, but it was in the closet. Kids (and the adults they grew into) suffered in silence.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:48 AM

8,801 posts, read 5,101,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It did exist back when you were growing up, but it was in the closet. Kids (and the adults they grew into) suffered in silence.
And now there is help for mental illness...no shame, in seeking help.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:22 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
This isn't mental illness.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You forgot to answer this specific question: your doctoral degree in Psychology was conferred upon you by which esteemed institution of higher learning?

Old 10-17-2023, 02:30 PM

4,881 posts, read 6,957,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't mental illness.
Yes it is, if it progresses into adulthood.

Unfortunately, in adolescents, it all too often involves coercion.

Kids at that age are very confused about a lot of things. Thus, very vulnerable to be talked into crazy crap by adults or their peers.

TEACHERS have a lot of influence over kids. Nowhere in their contract does it state that they should be attempting to influence kids into their ideologies. If they insist on doing so, they should be fired. Period.

Last edited by jmgg; 10-17-2023 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-17-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Yes it is, if it progresses into adulthood.

Says who? Cite the medical research that has determined this. And I mean valid medical research, not what local yokels at the tavern are bloviating about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa