Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM

219 posts, read 455,583 times

Advertisements

They are like people.. they're not aliens! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
I am sure you can find phony and rude people anywhere you go, but I have lived in Iowa all my life and yes there may be a few people who give us a bad name, (which can be anywhere you go) but don't let that stop you from moving here. It may take a little while to get to know people, but most are friendly, open, and enjoy good conversation.
They are very willing to help if ever you are in need. My first husband would talk to anyone and if someone needed help, he was more than willing to stop and help them. He loved it. It was surprising who he would meet from all over the country. When he became ill with cancer, everyone was willing to help in anyway they can and they did! My second husband is the same way. If he sees someone who needs help he doesn't hesitate, even if it's someone in the parking lot of Menards loading large items or as small as holding a door for someone. Also, don't don't hesitate to join a group or get involved in something. We are very accepting and most will welcome you in with open arms. I live in the country, but am only a few hrs from Des Moines and Ames, 2 hrs Iowa City, Rochester MN, and 5 hrs from Chicago. I am only a 45 min drive from Mason City, and Waterloo so I have no problems when I want to go shopping or out to eat. But I can always come home to the peace and quiet of the country. I am just saying, you can't tell what a place is like with just one visit. Come, stay awhile, and get to know us before you decide.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,267 times
I've noticed that there is so much drama here in Iowa even tho there are also lot of friendly people. I've even bumped into some rude people at times. Not surprising as it can happen anywhere.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I've noticed that there is so much drama here in Iowa even tho there are also lot of friendly people. I've even bumped into some rude people at times. Not surprising as it can happen anywhere.
I understand. But I think that living in south Florida.....a 'resort' for vacationers and rich people, is so out of my natural element that 'drama' is the least of my concerns.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM

39 posts, read 53,016 times
That has not been my experience. lol anything but. I've lived in 7 different states. This is the only state I've lived in where I have called the cops and called them on numerous occasions. I'm not one to just call the cops. All my neighbors have called the cops as well. Not a good place in my experiences.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcright79 View Post
That has not been my experience. lol anything but. I've lived in 7 different states. This is the only state I've lived in where I have called the cops and called them on numerous occasions. I'm not one to just call the cops. All my neighbors have called the cops as well. Not a good place in my experiences.
This thread topic is discussing what people in Iowa are like. From your comment I have no idea where you live (or why you picked such a crummy neighborhood to live in), but your experience isn't representative of the entire state of Iowa (or almost any city, I'd argue).

Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcright79 View Post
Interesting.

I've lived at a total of five addresses in four different towns in Iowa over the last 7 years and have called the cops four times: Once to report somebody parked in front of my mailbox, twice to report that I'd hit a deer, and once to report somebody buzzing around town at 10:00 at night on a four-cycle ATV with no muffler. And I should point out that the perpetrator was from Missouri.

I'm sorry to hear that life in your little corner of this 56,275 square mile state sucks, but I hardly think your experience is typical for most of the rest of the state.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
I think what he is getting at....Iowans can have a "tattle-tale" and also a frivolous mentality. Like the new Arby's commercial...the word "Iowa" had to be edited. Too many Iowans got mad that "Iowa" was said in a sarcastic tone.

Or the Bloom article, the man received death threats over it. This could be said about anywhere, but it's definitely stronger in Iowa than most places.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I've lived in 4 different parts of Iowa in 4 different cities over the last 5 years and we have never had an issue with anyone where we have lived outside of general small town nosy neighbor gossiping down at the local Casey's. I don't know everything about Iowa and it's residents but so far I've encountered good humans.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
People in Iowa are very friendly, especially in the rural areas. You will always get the wave and a friendly "Hello." One bad thing is that being a newcomer you will find it hard to become friends with the locals. I have found that everywhere, but especially in the midwest.
You contradict yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa