Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

it's the middle-aged ppl that I'm referring to...
the majority of those under 30 are much easier to get along with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Between Council Bluffs and Cedar Falls I lived in Iowa for years. People in the bigger cities are pretty much the same everywhere but in the smaller towns people from Iowa are for the most part hardworking, friendly people. Not so much they will go out of their way to be friendly to you, but if you make the first move they are friendly right back. Most people I knew in Cedar Falls were very hardworking. Many holding a full-time job and maybe one or two part-time jobs as well. I have lived almost everywhere but the east coast, and the one thing I really noticed about Iowa was the work ethic.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Default Well Put But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
Not all 'white' people who came to America to begin a new life were murderers. Before civilized laws and such the newcomers and the natives got on very well and learned from each other. Sounds like you are the one generalizing. The other poster merely related stories from descendants -- none of which sounds unbelievable. Why respond with such an attack on all 'white' people?
One has to remember that the frontiers of this country began at the East Coast. Then there was a leap of sorts over to the west coast. Finally, the last real frontier got squeezed into what is now the Mid-Western part of our country. There was still that feel to it when I lived there; that it was possible to really start a new life here. Much more so then in older, settled areas of the country. It does make you more self-reliant, and you learn a lot about yourself living where life is really more difficult, especially in far-flung areas.

Memories in the Mid-West are still quite fresh. This is a big lesson I learned. From a distance, and without experiencing something, people learned a skewered version of people, places and events. When you actually live where these things have recently occurred time wise, the picture changes. You begin to see more of both sides of the equation. You realize that sometimes we develop an idealized picture of things without having the experience that should go along with how we view the world.

Mention has been made of treatment of the Indians, but the other side of that coin (and I learned this from quite a few Indians myself) is that the different tribes were at constant war with each other, committing huge atrocities. Some even disappeared forever. The Sioux (Lakota, Nakota and Dakota) were originally a woodlands tribe from what is now Canada and a bit South. They fought their way onto the Plains, displacing or eradicating other tribes. The Sioux and Crow were constantly at war with each other. That's why most Indian scouts for the US Cavalry in that area were Crows. They wanted to get back at the Sioux any way they could! There are a number of jokes told by the Sioux today involving the Crows. And no doubt, vice versa.

The mid-west, including Iowa and South Dakota, can be an exciting place to live. I would recommend that people spend a little time researching the history (and not the generalized stuff found in most textbooks), especially from primary documents to try to get a balanced picture. It's best to push all pre-conceived notions in the background. This goes for any part of the country that one is considering.

My health, age and other factors preclude moving back (actually, we would have chosen Iowa if given a choice). But if you are younger, can take the continental climate, and are adventurous, you just might find the place of your dreams somewhere in the Great Plains.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 AM

53 posts, read 201,243 times
Smile Hi All:

I too have been looking to relocate the past 5 years or so from Phoenix. Always hated AZ from the age of 4 and don't feel much different about the heat, bugs, and dregs of society that have come here even after 50 years in the desert. But I digress.... I've been looking seriously at Missour the past year, but Iowa keeps calling to me as well. I lived in Iowa for a time as a kid and loved it. I learned to ice skate there and I found the people friendly enough. Perhaps times have changed over the years - but I still think I will revisit the idea of relocating to Iowa. It's just GETTING there that's not fun and kind of expensive since there don't seem to be any really big airports with a millon flights a day in the entire state. And the flights that are there are EXPENSIVE. Oh well.... I guess everything has it's price and mine will be an airline ticket.

Oh and I don't know who wrote it but you have to have a love or 'calling' for a place. Az has never called to me. I need trees, green grass, clouds, rain and a sense of community. All lacking here. Like the CA folks I'm looking for a calmer, quieter, safer place. And since I grew up on a farm maybe I'll even be able to communicate with the natives. What I really mean is I don't think I'll bring any big city ideas with me, since up until 15 years ago Phx was NOT a big city. The big city just grew up, over and around us.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Did Some Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ View Post
It's just GETTING there that's not fun and kind of expensive since there don't seem to be any really big airports with a millon flights a day in the entire state. And the flights that are there are EXPENSIVE. Oh well.... I guess everything has it's price and mine will be an airline ticket.

Oh and I don't know who wrote it but you have to have a love or 'calling' for a place. Az has never called to me. I need trees, green grass, clouds, rain and a sense of community. All lacking here. Like the CA folks I'm looking for a calmer, quieter, safer place. And since I grew up on a farm maybe I'll even be able to communicate with the natives. What I really mean is I don't think I'll bring any big city ideas with me, since up until 15 years ago Phx was NOT a big city. The big city just grew up, over and around us.
I did a bit of research on one of the travel services that advertise on TV; i.e., Expedia, Travelocity etc. If you just want to look around Iowa for a bit, two adult tickets roundtrip would cost you about $250-$950 per person from Phoenix to Des Moines (2 adults--sometimes best to leave any children behind for the time being). The huge discrepancy in price is usually based on how many stops you can put up with on the way If you are just looking around to see if you want to relocate there, this might be the way to do it. I didn't do the package thing (which would have included the hotel and car) because I didn't know exactly how you would want to do your research.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Just some suggestions I'm passing on in hopes that it might help you if you do seriously consider relocating.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:39 AM..

Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 PM

53 posts, read 201,243 times
I've probably searched every site, board and local news paper between Oregon and Maine. I can almost quote chapter and verse about the pro's and cons of a state. But that doesn't replace the input of people who actually live there. I like the fact that Iowa has such a good school system and a high number of high school grads. It impresses me that education is a priority. Here in AZ we are lucky to graduate 50% and those with luck are the english speakers. I don't have any kids, but I think education is A BIG DEAL! I also like the fact that Iowa is the #6 safest state in the union. We are #47 and by reading the daily paper with driveby after drive by, or shooting after shooting, it gets very depressing. Also I have no desire to learn spanish as my FIRST language. Hence a state that has real Americans who speak English in it.

I will check out those website. I've never tried one before because the airfare to KC etc is usually about $250 99% of the time with US Air or Southwest. Neither of which go to Iowa.. well not the last time I checked anyway. BUT the good thing is I have a flexable schedule at work and can go when the air fare is priced right. Right now I'm putting the finishing touchs on my house and hopefully I can use it as a rental by this fall. Seeing a REAL season again would be ideal. If not I'll get where I'm going by next spring. I have no intention of wasting another summer here in Phx being tied to my refrigeration unit.

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions. I will keep them all in mind. It seems all the Iowans here are pretty friendly and love their state.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 19,259 times
Shhh, it is a secret...Iowa is wonderful and so are the people....

I was not from around 'there' and everyone, was great...

I miss it...

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM

114 posts, read 397,848 times
Hi, I was born and raised until my 20's in and around Ft. Dodge (Rolfe) and parts of Illinois. Back then,in the 60's, it was a pretty quiet place, culturally and socially speaking, but I thought this was a sign of the times. However, after returning 30 years later to visit family, my feeling is it's not much different now. Think of it more in terms of exposure to people, and when kids go off to college and return, gradually each generation gets more 'open-minded', to a point. Iowa is still very much a Bilble belt kind of place, and this may explain a little of the aloofness coupled with isolation. The weather is condusive to staying indooors with one's family alot, and not going to coffee shops in town and shopping, etc. Most people tend to make their own fun, or drink, or work from dawn to dusk. It does create a somewhat alienating society. That being said, I think that people are very nice, if not a little uptight. It takes time for them to loosen up. They hear alot about the liberal attitudes of the rest of the country and may judge things more harshly. They get into their routines and strangers seldom are a normal part of their lives. It's even challenging as a relative coming back (from California) to be totally accepted again. I've been tainted by lots of experiences they may never have to deal with, and I think the state is a little old-fashioned in attitudes. That's a good thing; they still have a bit of innocence. And, coincidentally, I heard stories of Indians etc as part of our local lore; in fact, I reacted to such stories with pride and as a way, perhaps, to explain my families large noses and high cheek bones, though this could also be German or .......who knows! I digress.
I also found that Des Moines is where all inner state transportation ends. To go into the farms where I was raised, one has to rent a car, or if going to a larger town, a bus. Trains took me to the biggest cities only. So be patient with Iowans. They are a rare jewel in our country. People who survive is cold climates do seem different than warm climates, just my humble opinion. I love them still.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 32,054 times
Whew! I had to pipe in here....was searching for info on my home city (Sioux City, IA) and found this message board....and have been poking about the threads out of curiosity.

FWIW, I am a 30 yo living in Iowa for the last 6 years (including 3 years law school in DSM) Sioux City ever since. I have lived in 4 states in my 3 decades....born in IA, moved to Arkansas, then lived mostly in Missouri and Illinois, including KC and STL, as well as the Ozarks.......

Iowa IS a great place to live (if you can handle the climate......the cold and the hot are extreme, and you have to be able to take that)

There are great places in Iowa OUTSIDE of DSM/IC, IMO. Sioux City is one of them. I'd say Dubuque is another, albeit smaller choice.

Also, if you are looking for cheap airfare to IA from AZ, fly into OMAHA, NE. It is just over the border from Council Bluffs, IA. Southwest flies there. Definitely better deals to be had in and out of Omaha than DSM or any other city in IA. I fly out of Omaha or Sioux Falls here -- 80-90 mins either way.

I would not say people here are unfriendly at all....and I would say that the average intellect in Iowa is higher than in either MO or AR (sorry, just my opinion! ) I also believe firmly that Iowans as a whole are more politically savvy than any other midwestern state, in part due to our unique '1st in the nation' status (for caucusing/primary time). But I think that 1st in the Nation status is for good reason -- Iowa is a very balanced state -- rural and urban, republican and democratic, liberal and conservative....it is a good measure of the middle ground of America, historically.

Do not fool yourselves into thinking Iowa is not ethically diverse simply because it is landlocked and far from any border. To the contrary, we have a significant hispanic and vietnamese population in Sioux City, and in other parts of the state. Signs at the local county courthouse appear in three languages. Certainly there may still exist some backwards thinking in Iowa, as in any state, but I would say that racism is much less prevalent here than I saw in Missouri, Arkansas or Illinois (as a resident).

I think I have addressed the OP's question, and others raised along the way here. I am an Iowan by choice (looked at going back to KC, STL and even job searched in AZ -- wanted the warm weather!) We chose Sioux City purposefully and purposely in the end. It is a nice sized town with enough retail to keep me happy and a lack of any significant traffic, which keeps me sane. I have more real estate buying power here than you could possibly imagine on either coast, and it is a growing town with diversity, arts, cultural opportunites, and a growing population of younger residents.

If only it didn't snow.....

Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM

I think I mentioned elsewhere that Iowans have the highest education percentage wise then any other State--at least, in the late '80s this was true.

I loved Sioux City and when I was younger and healthier we thought about moving there. We had just spent 2 years in Vermillion, SD and were ready to move out of that state. Everything you say is true, and I'm glad it is so even after all these years. It is just the right size, driving was easy, the people were very nice. Unfortunately, the climate would now be a bit much for us. Very cold and snowy (there always seemed to be a blizzard, and the summers 100+). But if you are younger and can learn to live with the weather, Sioux City is a very nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa