Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times

Advertisements

As a Christian, I find it very breath taking and beautiful listening to Islamic call to prayer.

My favorite call to prayer in Dubai.... Amazing voice!

call to prayer, Outside Dubai Mall, Dubai..Nov 09 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 PM

762 posts, read 1,217,121 times
I agree it is lovely to hear. I also like the sound of church bells calling to pray...in fact any call to pray is beautiful to hear.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
So do I...
recently saw the Whirling Dervishes from Turkey. Prior to the ceremony, the call was sung-I was so taken by his voice-so very clear...
just beautiful! Since I've listened to differing ones on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
As a Christian, I find it very breath taking and beautiful listening to Islamic call to prayer.

My favorite call to prayer in Dubai.... Amazing voice!

call to prayer, Outside Dubai Mall, Dubai..Nov 09 - YouTube

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM

209 posts, read 414,623 times
Peace be on you. A useful resource about Adhan.
Quote:
The purpose of this page is to serve as a reminder for daily prayers. It is intended to be left open in the browser to allow each adhan to be played at its proper time.
Adhan - The Timely Call to the Daily Prayers

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 AM

209 posts, read 414,623 times
Adhan or the Muslim call to Prayer - Transliteration - Translation

Quote:
In the early days of Islam, there was no prescribed way of telling people that the time for Prayer had commenced nor was there any means to call the Muslims to the mosque for congregational Prayers. The Holy Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was however, aware of the Jewish, Christian and pagan practices in this regard. He sought counsel and asked his Companions as to what should be done to call Muslims to the mosque for congregational Prayers. One morning, Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Aziz, may Allah be pleased with him, approached the Holy Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, and related to him a dream which he had had the night before. He had seen someone announcing the Prayer time and calling people to the mosque for the congregational Prayer in a loud voice. Hadhrat Abdullah then related the words of the Athan which he had heard in the dream. They were as follows:

Transliteration:

Allahu Akbar (four times)

Translation:

Allah is the Greatest (Recited four times)

Transliteration:

Ash-hadu alla ilaha illallah (twice)

Translation

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah (Recited twice)

Transliteration:

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar Rasulullah (twice)

Translation:

I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. (Recited twice)

Transliteration:

Hayya alassalah (twice)

Translation:

Come to Prayer (Recited twice)

Transliteration:

Hayya alal-Falah (twice)

Translation:

Come to success. (Recited twice)

Transliteration:

Allahu Akbar (twice)

Translation:

Allah is the Greatest. (Recited twice)

Transliteration:

La ilaha illallah

Translation:

There is none worthy of worship except Allah.

Hadhrat Umar, May Allah be pleased with him, who later became the second Khalifa was also sitting in the company of the Holy Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. He said that he had also had a dream and had heard the same words. The Holy Prophet, on whom be peace and blessings of Allah, was therefore in no doubt that this was a message from Allah, so he adopted the method of Athan to call worshippers to the mosque. Athan is thus widely recognised as the call to Prayer all over the world........

During the Athan for Fajr Prayer, the Mu'athin should also recite the words given below twice after saying, Hayya 'alal falah:

Transliteration:

AsSalatu khairum-minan-naum (twice)

Translation:

Prayer is better than sleep.
REFERENCE: Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM

134 posts, read 239,383 times
Very nice. I wish Christians would get excited to pray like billions of Muslims do 5 times a day.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
Very nice. I wish Christians would get excited to pray like billions of Muslims do 5 times a day.
Do you really think that all Muslims are happy to pray and get excited to pray 5 times a day? Or is it a sense of obligation? Not to say that Christians don't do things out of the wrong motive.

This call to prayer is actually the first one that I've ever heard that I could stand. To be honest, I just can't stand to listen to most of them. It just sounds kind of sad, as if the person is in pain. This one though, was not bad.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you really think that all Muslims are happy to pray and get excited to pray 5 times a day? Or is it a sense of obligation? Not to say that Christians don't do things out of the wrong motive.

This call to prayer is actually the first one that I've ever heard that I could stand. To be honest, I just can't stand to listen to most of them. It just sounds kind of sad, as if the person is in pain. This one though, was not bad.
One thing that often needs to be clarified for non-Muslims. There are 2 words that translate into English as prayer. Salat and Du'a.

Du'a is our personal prayers and correspond pretty much to the Christian concept of prayer, we say them in our own words, or favorite traditional ones or even as a simple conversation with God(swt) they are said when and wherever we have the inclination to say them.

Salat is more like a Worship service, if possible it should be done in congregation with 3 or more present, and the prayers are led by an Imam, the Imam may be simply the oldest male present and often is.

The Adhan is the call to Salat

While there is a sense of obligation, it is an obligation that is self enforced. It is close to impossible to know if a Muslim has missed saying the Salat. There are many reasons you might not see a person at salat. Some being:

He was unable to get to the Mosque on time so said them were he was,

He preferred to say them with his immediate neighbors

He failed to perform wadu and therefore forbidden to attend Salat

He said them in a different Mosque than he usually does

Or any of countless other reasons.

One thing you will hear from many Muslims that move to a Non-Islamic nation is how much they miss hearing the Adhan.

Can only speak for myself, I find performing Salat to be very invigorating and refreshing. The physical aspect of the salat is quite refreshing sort of like a short exercise session. Typically salat only lasts from 5 to 15 minutes. It can last longer depending on what Surat the Imam chooses to recite.

Usually does last longer at the Evening prayers during Ramadan when many of us attempt to recite at least one Juz (1/30 th) of the Qur'an each day.

Overall just speaking for myself I would do my best to say the 5 salat daily even if it was not an obligation. Because of where I live most of the time it is only my wife and myself saying salat at salat time.

I do have an Ahan program on the computer and it does play the proper adhan at the correct time.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One thing that often needs to be clarified for non-Muslims. There are 2 words that translate into English as prayer. Salat and Du'a.

Du'a is our personal prayers and correspond pretty much to the Christian concept of prayer, we say them in our own words, or favorite traditional ones or even as a simple conversation with God(swt) they are said when and wherever we have the inclination to say them.

Salat is more like a Worship service, if possible it should be done in congregation with 3 or more present, and the prayers are led by an Imam, the Imam may be simply the oldest male present and often is.

The Adhan is the call to Salat

While there is a sense of obligation, it is an obligation that is self enforced. It is close to impossible to know if a Muslim has missed saying the Salat. There are many reasons you might not see a person at salat. Some being:

He was unable to get to the Mosque on time so said them were he was,

He preferred to say them with his immediate neighbors

He failed to perform wadu and therefore forbidden to attend Salat

He said them in a different Mosque than he usually does

Or any of countless other reasons.

One thing you will hear from many Muslims that move to a Non-Islamic nation is how much they miss hearing the Adhan.

Can only speak for myself, I find performing Salat to be very invigorating and refreshing. The physical aspect of the salat is quite refreshing sort of like a short exercise session. Typically salat only lasts from 5 to 15 minutes. It can last longer depending on what Surat the Imam chooses to recite.

Usually does last longer at the Evening prayers during Ramadan when many of us attempt to recite at least one Juz (1/30 th) of the Qur'an each day.

Overall just speaking for myself I would do my best to say the 5 salat daily even if it was not an obligation. Because of where I live most of the time it is only my wife and myself saying salat at salat time.

I do have an Ahan program on the computer and it does play the proper adhan at the correct time.
Hey Woodrow....just to be clear, my statement was not to be rude or insensitive, but I just honestly don't like the sound of the stuff on the loudspeaker. It just grates on me. perhaps it means more if I knew the language.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
When the Adhan is pronounced satan takes to his heels and passes wind with noise during his flight in order not to hear the Adhan.
When the Adhan is completed he comes back and again takes to his heels when the Iqama is pronounced and
after its completion he returns again till he whispers into the heart of the person (to divert his attention from his prayer) and
makes him remember things which he does not recall to his mind before the prayer and that causes him to forget how much he has prayed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam