Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM

67 posts, read 84,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It seems to me that Saudi Arabia is the main location for extremism in the Arab world due to their acceptance of Wahhabism, correct?
This may be an old thread but I just want viewers of this to realize that the Wahhabis, also called Salafis, of Saudi Arabia do not condone the extremist terrorist ideas that you see in the Media.

You can find all their publications denouncing terrorism and suicide bombings here:
http://www.salafipublications.com/sp...=channel&CID=3

Furthermore, a simple search for Muslims condemning extremism would yield plenty of results, but the problem is you may not here it in the western media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 AM

226 posts, read 161,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
except through Islamic schools sponsored by the Saudi Arabian government ruled by Sharia Law

Do you know of any? It is dang near impossible for anyone to get any financial aide from Saudi to start a Mosque or Madrassa (School) I can not say with certainty there are not any in the US but I have not seen or heard of any.

Virtually every Mosque and Madrassa in the USA is locally financed with no help from anyone outside the local community. In many cases financed fully by the Imam.

If you know of any in the USA financed by Saudi, please let me know. I'd like to know how they managed to get any money out of the al-Saud Family.

The majority of Muslims in the USA are not Arab and have no contact with Saudi Arabia. Most Arabs in the US are Christians not Muslims. Dearborn Michigan is the only spot in the USA where you have a large Arabic Muslim population, but from what I understand most are Shi'ite which is pretty much an enemy of Saudi.
See:

Support for Mosques and Islamic Centers in United States - King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz

Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 AM

2010 survey -- percentage expressing confidence in Osama bin Laden:

Palestinians = 51%
Jordan = 28%
Indonesia = 24%
Egypt = 23%
Pakistan = 18%
Turkey = 3%
Lebanon = 2%
Nigeria (Muslim population only) = 54%

Mixed Views of Hamas and Hezbollah in Largely Muslim Nations | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
That names 16 Mosgues and Islamic centers. there are over 2000 in the USA that get no help from Saudi and will not take it if offered.

Quote:
Researchers counted 2,106 mosques in the United States, mostly located in or around big cities, with New York state and California alone having 503 mosques. As more Americans have moved to the suburbs, so has the growth of new mosques. While many mosques have historically been established by South Asian immigrants, the study found that newer immigrant groups such as Somalis, Iraqis, West Africans and Bosnians have began to establish their own mosques since 2000.
SOURCE

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM

I need to point out that in that quote, those were my words and not the words of victimofGM. I had made an error when I tried to quote him. I had accidentally clicked edit instead of quote and never noticed my error.

I have now corrected victimofGM's post as best as I could.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
That names 16 Mosgues and Islamic centers. there are over 2000 in the USA that get no help from Saudi and will not take it if offered.
Also...

Islamic Research supported outside the Arab/Islamic world - King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz

Islamic Research supported outside the Arab/Islamic world

American University of Colorado
American University in Washington
Arab World Institute, Paris, France
Duke University, North Carolina
Howard University, Washington
Institute of the History of Arab and Islamic Science, Frankfurt, Germany
Johns Hopkins University, Maryland
Middle East Institute, Washington
Shaw University, North Carolina
Syracuse University, New York

Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
Also...

Islamic Research supported outside the Arab/Islamic world - King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz

Islamic Research supported outside the Arab/Islamic world

American University of Colorado
American University in Washington
Arab World Institute, Paris, France
Duke University, North Carolina
Howard University, Washington
Institute of the History of Arab and Islamic Science, Frankfurt, Germany
Johns Hopkins University, Maryland
Middle East Institute, Washington
Shaw University, North Carolina
Syracuse University, New York
Those are not Mosques or Islamic centers. they are secular schools under the guidlines of the States they are in. In would be interesting to see just how much financial assistance they are getting. I doubt if there are any conditions attached to any endowments those colleges have gotten from the al-Saud Family.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Saudi also apparently funds mosques through:

North American Islamic Trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to a report by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), in 2000 NAIT funded an estimated 27% of the 1,209 mosques in the US.[10] NAIT held title to over 320 properties as of June 2003. Title to about one in four mosques in the US are held by NAIT.[11]

NAIT facilitates the establishment of mosques (such as the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center, the grounds of which were purchased on June 19, 1983, by NAIT)[12] and Islamic schools by extending limited interest-free loans to needy communities from its investment venture called the Islamic Centers Cooperative Fund (ICCF). About 8% of this fund goes annually to support local communities acquiring and improving mosques. The remainder is placed in real estate and other investments....

Saudi Arabia has funded NAIT in order to spread Wahhabism, the conservative fundamentalist Saudi Arabian version of Islam that views other versions as heretical, in the US.[21][22] As NAIT has helped US communities build mosques, NAIT in turn has been dependent on Saudi funding. According to a September 30, 2002, Newsweek report, "NAIT money has helped the Saudi Arabian sect of Wahhabism—or Salafism, as the broader, pan-Islamic movement is called—to seize control of hundreds of mosques in the U.S. Muslim communities."[23] US law enforcement officials have indicated that they feel the mosques supported by NAIT have especially radical agendas.[24] Furthermore, NAIT's book service promotes the writings of the founder of Wahhabism, Muhammad ibn Abd-al-Wahhab.[25][26]

The mosques built through NAIT often require continued maintenance support from NAIT, which keeps title to the mosques, often appoints individuals to the mosques' boards of directors, appoints the mosque's imam (who is often Wahhabi), supplies free Wahhabi literature, and brings promising candidates to Saudi Arabia for additional indoctrination before sending them back to the US."

Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 AM

My opinion on this, is that Saudi Arabia shouldn't be funding anything in the West, until such time as they allow proper religious freedom in their own country.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
Saudi also apparently funds mosques through:

North American Islamic Trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to a report by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), in 2000 NAIT funded an estimated 27% of the 1,209 mosques in the US.[10] NAIT held title to over 320 properties as of June 2003. Title to about one in four mosques in the US are held by NAIT.[11]

NAIT facilitates the establishment of mosques (such as the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center, the grounds of which were purchased on June 19, 1983, by NAIT)[12] and Islamic schools by extending limited interest-free loans to needy communities from its investment venture called the Islamic Centers Cooperative Fund (ICCF). About 8% of this fund goes annually to support local communities acquiring and improving mosques. The remainder is placed in real estate and other investments....

Saudi Arabia has funded NAIT in order to spread Wahhabism, the conservative fundamentalist Saudi Arabian version of Islam that views other versions as heretical, in the US.[21][22] As NAIT has helped US communities build mosques, NAIT in turn has been dependent on Saudi funding. According to a September 30, 2002, Newsweek report, "NAIT money has helped the Saudi Arabian sect of Wahhabism—or Salafism, as the broader, pan-Islamic movement is called—to seize control of hundreds of mosques in the U.S. Muslim communities."[23] US law enforcement officials have indicated that they feel the mosques supported by NAIT have especially radical agendas.[24] Furthermore, NAIT's book service promotes the writings of the founder of Wahhabism, Muhammad ibn Abd-al-Wahhab.[25][26]

The mosques built through NAIT often require continued maintenance support from NAIT, which keeps title to the mosques, often appoints individuals to the mosques' boards of directors, appoints the mosque's imam (who is often Wahhabi), supplies free Wahhabi literature, and brings promising candidates to Saudi Arabia for additional indoctrination before sending them back to the US."
Not quite telling the whole story

From the article there is also this:

Quote:
NAIT finances and holds titles to mosques, Islamic schools, and other real estate to safeguard and pool the assets of the American Muslim community, develops financial vehicles and financial products that are compatible with both Shari'ah and American law, publishes and distributes Islamic literature, provides legal advice to Muslim organizations, and facilitates and coordinates Islamic community projects
It does not seem they are using any Saudi money.

The entire article looks like it was written by some one chasing booger bears and contains quite a bit of conjecture on the writer's part.

The mosques built through NAIT often require continued maintenance support from NAIT--and what is unusual and out of line with that. Any lender does the same thing.

Saudi Arabia has funded NAIT in order to spread Wahhabism, the conservative fundamentalist Saudi Arabian version of Islam that views other versions as heretical,--any supporting evidence of that?

"According to a report by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), in 2000 NAIT funded an estimated 27% of the 1,209 mosques in the US.[10] NAIT held title to over 320 properties as of June 2003. Title to about one in four mosques in the US are held by NAIT.[11] --How many of those notes have been paid off? Also notice those are no interest loans no one made any money off them.

Also notice the Article is a bit behind time.

Currently their are over 2,000 Mosques. But only about 700 Imams in the entire USA Most Mosques simply have the oldest person present at prayer time serve as the Imam.

Many US Muslims are anti-Salafi

Uncle Sam also keeps a close eye on all Mosques in the US. It is rare to find one that violates any laws or supports terrorism in any form.

There is a listing of all the Salafi Mosques in the US. You can see it HERE

You will find that tmany American Muslims are against the Salafi Movement.

Quote:
This is not to preach Islam, but to prove the real fact that this Salafi Wahaby movement is hijacking Islam and contradicting it. It is a long subject, but I give some aspects of this contradiction.
SOURCE

Quote:
Defeating Salafism and Wahhabism the Right way

by M. Zuhdi Jasser
Family Security Matters
January 20, 2009
SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam