Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Luke is in the NT

There are many things in the NT that when taken out of context give the appearance of promoting violence.

The same holds true with the Qur'an. Things have to be read and understood in context and no ayyat is to be taken as being a stand alone Command.
We know when one religion takes ofer another, there is a merging process, you cannot just turn off the old like a light switch, a good example being VooDoo, the merging of the caribean religions with Catholicism.

The NT is a change in the old ways to a different attitude entirely, and most examples of violence are in parabelles. And None I can recall of that are orders for the future.

Islam is different in this manor where it prescribes violence from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I find the passages where Jesus said he brought a sword and not peace to be "stand alone" (and seemingly odd) given the otherwise pacifist message and actions of Jesus and early Christians, where martyrs are to be like a sheep at the slaughter. As Obama himself said: the US Department of Defense shouldn't exist given a very literal interpretation of the sermon on the mount.

Of course that hasn't stopped church leaders from using those couple of vague verses from committing war (or often genocidal acts against innocents). And the violent nature of the OT wasn't out of site and out of mind. The Israelite practice of extermination and permanent relocation of the native Canaanites was the blue print for similar treatment of the Native Americans

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I find the passages where Jesus said he brought a sword and not peace to be "stand alone" (and seemingly odd) given the otherwise pacifist message and actions of Jesus and early Christians, where martyrs are to be like a sheep at the slaughter. As Obama himself said: the US Department of Defense shouldn't exist given a very literal interpretation of the sermon on the mount.

Of course that hasn't stopped church leaders from using those couple of vague verses from committing war (or often genocidal acts against innocents). And the violent nature of the OT wasn't out of site and out of mind. The Israelite practice of extermination and permanent relocation of the native Canaanites was the blue print for similar treatment of the Native Americans
I believe you are using the only verse of this nature which was actually in Luke and a parable.

Muslims use this all the time to pretend jesus was violent, but unfortunally it is the only verse they can attempt to bend, and certainly does not equalize the hundreds In Islam.

It is also directly against the teachings of jesus, where the teachings and behavior,of muhammed are inline with constant murder.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
I believe you are using the only verse of this nature which was actually in Luke and a parable.

Muslims use this all the time to pretend jesus was violent, but unfortunally it is the only verse they can attempt to bend, and certainly does not equalize the hundreds In Islam.

It is also directly against the teachings of jesus, where the teachings and behavior,of muhammed are inline with constant murder.
Not quite the only verse of that Nature in the NT. A person bent upon finding violence in the NT has no problem in doing so. Just have to take innocent statements out of context.

Just go to any anti-Christian site and you will find at least 111 verses that hate mongers find to be full of hate and violence.

An Example HERE

I do not believe a one of them promotes violence, but sadly there are people who do, just as some people believe the anti-Islamic or anti-Judaic sites.

People that hate easily find justification for their hate. Usually all it takes is to read single lines as if they were commands.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Have you personally seen any Islamic extremists in the USA? Can you name one living American Muslim that is labelled an extremist or know of even one American Mosque that has an extremist label?

Muslims do not tithe. Frankly I have not found any Muslim Extremists here. they will not get any support. You have to be quite wealthy in the USA to be able to open a Mosque, few extremists would meet that criteria.

As for on a world wide basis not just American Muslims but Muslims world wide constantly reject the extremists.

For example:

HERE

We do not join or belong to Mosques like Christians join churches, the Mosque and the Imam has no control over the community.

We are not centrally directed by any central earthly leadership. we don't even have ordained clergy. Very few if any American Muslims would ever go back to a Mosque if the Imam gave a radical extremist sermon on the Friday Jummah. (Except for Friday Jummah there usually is no sermon at a Mosque.)
This is true and it is largely why the majority of Muslims are IRRELEVANT to the problem of radical Islam. That is no way minimizes the threat of Radical Islam or the need to eradicate whatever sources there are of funding and indoctrination. The idiocy of Political Correctness is being used to thwart efforts to eradicate this anachronistic and barbaric threat to human civilization worldwide. Here is a video of a law student trying to make a PC point during a discussion of the threat of Radical Islam. I am pretty sure she was sorry she brought it up. The Moderate Muslims are IRRELEVANT.https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204326980673843

Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 AM

That is not correct.

You have an established pattern of conduct with jesus, that pattern being forgiveness, non-violence, and using one verse, a parable to pretend jesus is violent.

That does not compare, or even come close, to the pattern of violence muhammed displayed, and the literally hundreds of verses explaining it all.

I am the one to always stress putting it in context, but I follow through with it, and emphasize the context.
Most of the Qur'an cannot even be put into it's context unless the Sunnah is used.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Brigitte Gabriel gives FANTASTIC answer to Muslim woman claiming all Muslims are portrayed badly » T - YouTube

Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Not quite the only verse of that Nature in the NT. A person bent upon finding violence in the NT has no problem in doing so. Just have to take innocent statements out of context.

Just go to any anti-Christian site and you will find at least 111 verses that hate mongers find to be full of hate and violence.

An Example HERE

I do not believe a one of them promotes violence, but sadly there are people who do, just as some people believe the anti-Islamic or anti-Judaic sites.

People that hate easily find justification for their hate. Usually all it takes is to read single lines as if they were commands.
I defy you to show me even a handful of Christian verses that promote violence.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
This debate about the violence of both Islam and Christianity is a pretty good ad for discarding religion of any kind.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Moderate Islam seems to have facilitated Islamic fundamentalism here and a potential terrorist.

How a Glasgow girl became an ISIS bride - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam