Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:29 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,097 times

Advertisements

Bash: to hurl harsh verbal [literal] abuse at. [mine]
Bash | Define Bash at Dictionary.com

Quote:
Woodrow LI wrote:
I have yet to see you produce one verse you can prove bashes non-Muslims.
Show and PROVE a single verse bashes non-Muslims.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/40539096-post4.html
I have always claim that Islam-in-part condemn non-Muslims to the hilt to the extent of dehumanizing them. There are thousands of such verses of various degrees from mild to extreme.

Generally one verse is not sufficient to trigger SOME Muslims to commit real evil and violence on non-Muslims. It is always a set of verses in combination with the martial ethos and real existential desperation in SOME Muslims that trigger them to initiate terrible evils and violence on non-Muslims.

Since Woodrow had always ask for one verse where Allah bashes non-Muslims, here is one verse amongst the thousands for a start;
8:55 Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe. [Pickthall]

Inna sharra alddawabbi AAinda Allahi allatheena kafaroo fahum la yu/minoona
Indeed, (the) worst (of) the living creatures near Allah (are) those who disbelieve, and they (will) not believe.
There is a biblical context to the above relating to Pharaoh and Moses, however what is critical is the general principle abstracted i.e. 'non-Muslim are the worst of beasts [all moving creatures]'.
This principle is to back the primal "us versus them" impulse that is necessary to keep believers in fear, wariness of non-Muslims as a threat and thus believers can be controlled en masse.

Since this is from the authority of Allah, this is very degrading and dehumanizing, and carry a lot of weight of contempt & enmity towards any non-Muslim in general.

The other point is, if God is omnipotent and Omni-whatever, why does he need to stoop so low to degrade, dehumanize, condemn, and use other vile labels on non-Muslims that will facilitate
SOME* Muslims to commit terrible evils on non-Muslims. [note Milgram's effect]
* I am not saying all Muslims are worked up by such set of verses but if merely 20% = 300 million , this is a very significant quantum and even lone-wolf[s] will create a lot of horrifying terror.

Thus the above proved there is one verse that bashes non-Muslims.
QED.

Btw, the above is merely a discussion on ONE verse which is my opinion is not pertinent in judging the religion-in-part till we take into account the whole set of the relevant thousands of related verses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:53 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Bash: to hurl harsh verbal [literal] abuse at. [mine]
Bash | Define Bash at Dictionary.com

I have always claim that Islam-in-part condemn non-Muslims to the hilt to the extent of dehumanizing them. There are thousands of such verses of various degrees from mild to extreme.

Generally one verse is not sufficient to trigger SOME Muslims to commit real evil and violence on non-Muslims. It is always a set of verses in combination with the martial ethos and real existential desperation in SOME Muslims that trigger them to initiate terrible evils and violence on non-Muslims.

Since Woodrow had always ask for one verse where Allah bashes non-Muslims, here is one verse amongst the thousands for a start;
8:55 Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe. [Pickthall]

Inna sharra alddawabbi AAinda Allahi allatheena kafaroo fahum la yu/minoona
Indeed, (the) worst (of) the living creatures near Allah (are) those who disbelieve, and they (will) not believe.
There is a biblical context to the above relating to Pharaoh and Moses, however what is critical is the general principle abstracted i.e. 'non-Muslim are the worst of beasts [all moving creatures]'.
This principle is to back the primal "us versus them" impulse that is necessary to keep believers in fear, wariness of non-Muslims as a threat and thus believers can be controlled en masse.

Since this is from the authority of Allah, this is very degrading and dehumanizing, and carry a lot of weight of contempt & enmity towards any non-Muslim in general.

The other point is, if God is omnipotent and Omni-whatever, why does he need to stoop so low to degrade, dehumanize, condemn, and use other vile labels on non-Muslims that will facilitate
SOME* Muslims to commit terrible evils on non-Muslims. [note Milgram's effect]
* I am not saying all Muslims are worked up by such set of verses but if merely 20% = 300 million , this is a very significant quantum and even lone-wolf[s] will create a lot of horrifying terror.

Thus the above proved there is one verse that bashes non-Muslims.
QED.

Btw, the above is merely a discussion on ONE verse which is my opinion is not pertinent in judging the religion-in-part till we take into account the whole set of the relevant thousands of related verses.
55-59 is not bashing non-Muslims

As you are using Pickthall I will stick with Pickthall
Like all ayyats it needs to be read as a paragraph not a single sentence, to get even a vague idea of what/who is being discussed.

The previous ayyats in surah 55 let us know it has to do with treaties and the necessity to honor them

Quote:
Sanctity of treaties has been enjoined and the Muslims commanded to observe them as long as the other party does not break them. 55 - 59
The ayyat is not speaking of non-believers in General, it is speaking of those who deliberately deny the truth and violate treaties Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

8:55 (Picktall) Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe;

8:56 (Picktall) Those of them with whom thou madest a treaty, and, then at every opportunity they break their treaty, and they keep not duty (to Allah).

8:57 (Picktall) If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember.

8:58 (Picktall) And if thou fearest treachery from any folk, then throw back to them (their treaty) fairly. Lo! Allah loveth not the treacherous.

8:59 (Picktall) And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip (Allah's purpose). Lo! they cannot escape.

This is not bashing unbelievers.
It is warning those that know the truth and oppose it by violating treaties and commit acts of treachery.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
55-59 is not bashing non-Muslims

As you are using Pickthall I will stick with Pickthall
Like all ayyats it needs to be read as a paragraph not a single sentence, to get even a vague idea of what/who is being discussed.
Didn't I qualify that as a condition in my post above. I had said earlier that single verse must be read in the context of the paragraph, and elsewhere I extended it to the chapter, the mecca/medina phase, the whole of the Quran and a tons of whatever else in relevant.
see: http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...fectively.html

Quote:
The previous ayyats in surah 55 let us know it has to do with treaties and the necessity to honor them

The ayyat is not speaking of non-believers in General, it is speaking of those who deliberately deny the truth and violate treaties Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

8:55 (Picktall) Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe;
8:56 (Picktall) Those of them with whom thou madest a treaty, and, then at every opportunity they break their treaty, and they keep not duty (to Allah).
8:57 (Picktall) If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember.
8:58 (Picktall) And if thou fearest treachery from any folk, then throw back to them (their treaty) fairly. Lo! Allah loveth not the treacherous.
8:59 (Picktall) And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip (Allah's purpose). Lo! they cannot escape.

This is not bashing unbelievers.
It is warning those that know the truth and oppose it by violating treaties and commit acts of treachery.
I have spent the last > 7 months reading and analyzing the Quran on a full time basis. So don't try to pull wools over my eyes. Chapter 8 is to boost the Muslim warriors confidence after the Battle of Badr by relying on threats of hell on Judgment day to believers and a comparative bashings with the worst put-downs of non-Muslims.

Verse 45-51 is one idea, where Muhammad was motivating his followers with a comparison to hypocrites and the threats of Judgment Day.

Verse 52-55 is a sub-idea following from 45-51, i.e. to bring in the example of the story of Pharaoh and Moses and the horrible destiny of the obstinate infidels then. Verse 55 is a summation to project all non-believers are worst than beast.

Verse 56-59 after bashing infidels as worst than beasts, verse 56-59 is another lot of bashing of infidels in their dealing with treaty to add to the severity of contempt for infidels so as to drum and whip up more 'hatred' and zeal for the Muslims to kill non-Muslims.

Verse 60-71 is a the setting for Muslim to go to war with non-Muslims. Muslims are exhort to SPEND i.e. to support the cause of wars against the infidels. There should be slaughter to terrorize before captives are to be taken.

The fact is the truer Muslims [SOME] then and at present, gleaned the evil-laden principles from the above verses, the whole of the Quran, from the martial ethos of Muhammad and put them in real practices [the real evils, horrors and violence are glaringly obvious] to ensure their rewards in heaven and avoid the threats of torments and tortures on Judgment Day.

In the context of chapter 8, the whole of the Quran, the martial ethos of Muhammad and Islam, verse 8:55 is a terrible bashing of non-infidels, [pejoratively and derogatorily labeled as 'Kafir' and 'Kuffar' {plural}] that culminate in real fatalities and evils upon non-Muslims since the 7th century to the present.

Note 8:55 is merely ONE amongst the 3420++ of degrading verses [of different degrees] of the 6236 verses in the Quran that bash non-Muslims to the hilt.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:41 AM

No matter how you twist it, 55-59 are a single thought, you alter the meaning by pulling 55 out of context. Nonbelievers are not being bashed.

Those who break treaties are being warned.

To quote 55 alone without including 56 is deception by ommission. Giving a partial truth and calling it the truth.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
No matter how you twist it, 55-59 are a single thought, you alter the meaning by pulling 55 out of context. Nonbelievers are not being bashed.

Those who break treaties are being warned.

To quote 55 alone without including 56 is deception by ommission. Giving a partial truth and calling it the truth.
I understand and expect you will be very bias.

To get to the truth, read the context again and carefully and note a parallel verse re 7:135-6.

7:135. But when We did remove from them the terror for a term which they must reach, behold! they broke their covenant.

7: 136. Therefore We [Allah] took retribution from them [people of Pharaoh]; therefore We drowned them in the sea: because they denied Our revelations and were heedless of them.
Verse 8:52-54 describes the ungrateful Pharaoh and his folks [the infidels] and supported by 7:135 as above.
Note the Story of the Pharaoh and Moses happened thousands of years before, thus by making reference to it what Muhammad was attempting was to describe non-Muslims in general as worst-of-beasts.
Therefore 8:55 followed with these ungrateful 'who will not believe' as worst of the beast.
Otherwise 8:52-54 will be left hanging ..

It is with this general principle of infidels as worst-of-beasts that is to be transposed onto the existing infidels Muhammad had made treaties with. In this case verse 8:55 [general principle supported by Pharaoh example] is linked with 8:56 the current situations.

Btw, I have not brought in verses where Muhammad labeled infidels as 'apes', 'pigs - swine', 'like dogs' and other derogatory labels.

In the context of chapter 8, the whole of the Quran, the martial ethos of Muhammad and Islam, verse 8:55 is a terrible bashing of non-infidels, [pejoratively and derogatorily labeled as 'Kafir' and 'Kuffar' {plural}] that culminate in real fatalities and evils upon non-Muslims since the 7th century to the present.

My interpretation is correct because it is proven by SOME Muslims committing real evils based on such verses while I am sure many of the silent majority would agree with 'infidels' i.e. non-Muslims as worst-of-beasts because they are 'who will not believe.
Of course this is not taken literally but it deliver a false sense of arrogance for them and this put-down is definitely a bashing of non-Muslims in general.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:08 AM

To keep me from getting cunfused I am just adressing the first part in this post.

Quote:
I understand and expect you will be very bias.

To get to the truth, read the context again and carefully and note a parallel verse re 7:135-6.
7:135. But when We did remove from them the terror for a term which they must reach, behold! they broke their covenant.

7: 136. Therefore We [Allah] took retribution from them [people of Pharaoh]; therefore We drowned them in the sea: because they denied Our revelations and were heedless of them.
----SNIP---
Surah 7 and 8 do contain much repetition. This is very similat to 8:55-56

But dealing with just surah 7 The people being addressed were non-Muslims. That part is clear. I am under the Assumption the Jewish Population of Mecca were being addressed which is the reason for ther references to Pharaoh and Moses This is almost like a Judaic Torah lesson.

The Paragraph containing 135-136 is quite lengthy. running from 59-171 The topic of the paragraph being

Quote:
Events from the lives of some well-known Prophets -- Noah, Hud, Salih, Lot, Shu`aib, Moses (Allah's peace be upon them all) -- have been related to show the consequences of the rejection of the Message, and the addressees of Prophet Muhammad (Allah's peace be upon him) have been admonished to accept and follow the Message in order to escape perdition. 59 - 171
This is virtually the same lesson as what is found in the Jewish Torah and the Christian OT

Just quoting a sufficient amount to show that

Quote:
7:127 (Picktall) The chiefs of Pharaoh's people said: (O King), wilt thou suffer Moses and his people to make mischief in the land, and flout thee and thy gods? He said: We will slay their sons and spare their women, for lo! we are in power over them.

7:128 (Picktall) And Moses said unto his people: Seek help in Allah and endure. Lo! the earth is Allah's. He giveth it for an inheritance to whom He will. And lo! the sequel is for those who keep their duty (unto Him).

7:129 (Picktall) They said : We suffered hurt before thou camest unto us, and since thou hast come unto us. He said: it may be that your Lord is going to destroy your adversary and make you viceroys in the earth, that He may see how ye behave.

7:130 (Picktall) And We straitened Pharaoh's folk with famine and the dearth of fruits, that peradventure they might heed.

7:131 (Picktall) But whenever good befell them, they said : This is ours; and whenever evil smote them they ascribed it to the evil auspices of Moses and those with him. Surely their evil auspice was only with Allah. But most of them knew not.

7:132 (Picktall) And they said: Whatever portent thou bringest when with to bewitch us, we shall not put faith in thee.

7:133 (Picktall) So We sent them the flood and the locusts and the vermin and the frogs and the blood--a succession of clear signs. But they were arrogant and became guilty
7:134 (Picktall) And when the terror fell on them they cried: O Moses! Pray for us unto thy Lord, because He hath a covenant with thee. If thou removest the terror from us we verily will trust thee and will let the Children of Israel go with thee.

7:135 (Picktall) But when We did remove from them the terror for a term which they must reach, behold! they broke their covenant.

7:136 (Picktall) Therefore We took retribution from them; therefore We drowned them in the sea: because they denied Our revelations and were heedless of them.

7:137 (Picktall) And We caused the folk who were devised to inherit the eastern parts of the land and the western parts thereof which We had blessed. And the fair word of the Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel because of their endurance; and We annihilated (all) that Pharaoh and his folk had done and that they had contrived.

7:138 (Picktall) And We brought the Children of Israel across the sea, and they came unto a people who were given up to idols which they had. They said: O Moses! Make for us a god even as they have gods. He said: Lo! ye are a folk who know not.
No bashing of non-Muslims a clear warning that those who break covenants or treaties will be punished. The very same warning that was given in the past in the Torah and the Bible.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
To keep me from getting confused I am just adressing the first part in this post.

Surah 7 and 8 do contain much repetition. This is very similat to 8:55-56

But dealing with just surah 7 The people being addressed were non-Muslims. That part is clear. I am under the Assumption the Jewish Population of Mecca were being addressed which is the reason for ther references to Pharaoh and Moses This is almost like a Judaic Torah lesson.

The Paragraph containing 135-136 is quite lengthy. running from 59-171 The topic of the paragraph being

This is virtually the same lesson as what is found in the Jewish Torah and the Christian OT

Just quoting a sufficient amount to show that
I have a summary of the whole Quran that show only the headings and sub-titles of each paragraph within each chapter and for all chapters. This is to facilitate easier comprehension.

I introduced 7:135-136 to prove that 8:55 is the final summation point of para 82:55.
Verse 7-103-170 relate to the Story of Moses.
7:135-136 demonstrate that the Pharaoh and his people were non-Muslims [infidels] and were "ungrateful people who will not believe" i.e. the infidels.
8:52 (Pickthall) (Their way is) as the way of Pharaoh's folk and those before them; they disbelieved the revelations of Allah, and Allah took them in their sins. Lo! Allah is Strong, severe in punishment.
8:53 That is because Allah never changeth the grace He hath bestowed on any people until they first change that which is in their hearts, and (that is) because Allah is Hearer, Knower.
8:54 (Their way is) as the way of Pharaoh's folk and those before them; they denied the revelations of their Lord, so We destroyed them in their sins. And We drowned the folk of Pharaoh. All were evil-doers.
8:55 (Pickthall) Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe.
What I am trying to show is this phrase "ungrateful people who will not believe" as related to Pharaoh's folk in 8:55 should be related to 8:52-54 which is also referring to Pharaoh's folk.

My point is 8:55 should be linked with 8:52-54 and not 8:56-59.
Why? because "ungrateful people who will not believe" as is inferred as related to 7:135-136.

From another angle;
8:55 (Pickthall) Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe;
Why worst-of-beasts? What justifications?
Answer: the supporting verses and justification are from 8:52-54 as in the Story of Moses in other chapters, e.g. chapter 7:135-136.

What Muhammad was trying to instigate was in general "non-Muslims are the worst of beasts" by referring to a part of the Pharaoh-Moses Story.

In this case, Muhammad first bashed 'non-Muslims' as "the worst of beasts' then followed by using this negative sentiment for the Muslims to take note regarding treaty.

Quote:
No bashing of non-Muslims a clear warning that those who break covenants or treaties will be punished. The very same warning that was given in the past in the Torah and the Bible.
In general and by default no person should break promises and those who break promises/terms-of-contract will have to the bear the agreed penalties.
There are a lot of people who broke promises in various contracts. If someone broke their promises with you, will you bash them as 'the worst of beasts.' The ones who are likely to curse 'the worst of beasts' are the immatured, uneducated, uncultured and unmentionable ones.
The question to be raised is why such uncultured curses and put downs [hundreds and thousands of them] exist in the core holy texts of a religion which is claimed to be a religion of peace and compassion??

Regardless of how you window-dress and deflect [as expected], these bashings and put-downs of non-Muslims [Jews, Christians, pagans, idolaters, others] exist as real in the Quran.
btw, we are only discussing ONE amongst the many thousands of various degrees.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:59 PM

Here is another lot of Islam bashing non-Muslims [Jews, Christians, pagans, idolaters, non-theists]
(verses from Pickthall- in this [] is mine)

8:22. Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the deaf, the dumb, who have no sense.

8:55. Lo! the Worst of Beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful [infidels] who will not believe;

27:82. And when the Word is fulfilled concerning them, We shall bring forth a beast of the earth to speak unto them because mankind had not faith in Our revelations.

2:65. And ye know of those of you [the Jews] who broke the Sabbath, bow We said unto them [the Jews]: Be ye apes, despised and hated!

5:60. Shall I tell thee of a worse (case) than theirs for retribution with Allah? Worse (is the case of him) whom Allah hath cursed, him [Kafir] on whom His wrath hath fallen! Worse is he of whose sort Allah hath turned some to apes and swine, and who serveth idols. Such are in worse plight and further astray from the plain road.

7:166. So when they [Jews infidels] took pride in that which they had been forbidden, We said unto them: Be ye apes despised and loathed! [Dehumanized]

7:176. And had We willed We could have raised him by their means, but he [Adam] clung to the earth and followed his [Adam] own lust. Therefor his [Adam] likeness is as the likeness of a dog; if thou attackest him he panteth with his tongue out, and if thou leavest him he panteth with his tongue out. Such is the likeness [as a dog] of the, people [infidels] who deny Our revelations. Narrate unto them [Children of Adam] the history (of the men of old), that haply they may take thought.

7:179. Already have We urged unto hell many [infidels] of the jinn and humankind, having hearts wherewith they understand not, and having eyes wherewith they see not, and having ears wherewith they hear not. These are as the cattle nay, but they [infidels] are worse! These are the neglectful. [Dehumanized]

8:65. O Prophet! Exhort the believers [Muslims] to fight. If there be of you [Muslims] twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred [infidels], and if there be of you a hundred steadfast they shall overcome a thousand of those [infidels] who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) [the infidels] are a folk without intelligence. [put-down]

9:28. O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year [AH 9]. If ye fear poverty (from the loss of their merchandise) Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise. [Dehumanized]

9:35. On the day when it will (all) be heated in the fire of hell, and their foreheads and their flanks and their backs will be branded therewith (and it will be said unto them): Here is that which ye hoarded for yourselves. Now taste of what ye used to hoard. [branded like the Jews numbered tatoo by Nazi - another sign of dehumanizing]

25:44. Or deemest thou that most of them hear or understand? They [infidels] are but as the cattle, nay, but they are farther astray!

29:41. The likeness of those [infidels] who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider [reduced to insect] when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew. [infidels chose inferior gods in idols]

47:12. Lo! Allah will cause those who believe and do good works to enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; while those who disbelieve [infidels] take their comfort in this life and eat even as the cattle eat, and the Fire is their habitation.

74:50. As they [infidels] were frightened asses

98:6. Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings. [note contrast 3:110 Muslims are the best] [us versus them]

The ones who are likely to curse the above are the immatured, uneducated, uncultured and unmentionable ones.
The question to be raised is why such uncultured curses and put downs [hundreds and thousands of them] exist in the core holy texts of a religion which is claimed to be a religion of peace and compassion??

The irony is when non-Muslims countered with factual critique they are branded as "Islamophobic" which is another form of irrational bashing.

Note there are thousands of others [from mild to crude] bashings which I have not brought in yet.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 AM

352 posts, read 419,654 times
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim In The Name Of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful. As salaamu alaykum The Peace Be Upon You.

Quote:
The ones who are likely to curse the above are the immatured, uneducated, uncultured and unmentionable ones.

The irony is when non-Muslims countered with factual critique they are branded as "Islamophobic" which is another form of irrational bashing.

In fact, it depends upon how, exactly, you want to live your life. Look at the sickening world about you. It might not be so bad if people lived their degrading lifestyles for themselves alone, but they must try to bring everyone else down to their level.

Must the Holy Qur'an play footy with them? Should the Noble Qur'an lie to them, and make them believe that what they're doing is all right, when in fact they are destroying humanity world wide? This is in reality a common sense matter. It calls for reason. Something that the devils, have beaten out of many if not most people.

Wassalaam. devotee

Old 07-27-2015, 03:27 PM

A deja vue experience. A submission of a multitude is not always impressive. It takes on the appearance of an attempt to confuse. an advertising agent tactic--If You can't Dazzle with brilliant facts, baffle with an onslaught.

Trying to slice this elephant into manageable portions.

Quote:
Here is another lot of Islam bashing non-Muslims [Jews, Christians, pagans, idolaters, non-theists]
(verses from Pickthall- in this [] is mine)

8:22. Lo! the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the deaf, the dumb, who have no sense.

8:55. Lo! the Worst of Beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful [infidels] who will not believe;

27:82. And when the Word is fulfilled concerning them, We shall bring forth a beast of the earth to speak unto them because mankind had not faith in Our revelations.
You may have noticed, the Qur'an is not a new Revelation. It is basically a condensed version of Jewish, Sabeean and Christian Scripture with emphasis on where the past generations ceased following what was revealed
The Bible has a long history of calling non-believers beasts., 19 or so references in the Jewish scriptures
Psalm 49:12
People, despite their wealth, do not endure; they are like the beasts that perish.

Psalm 49:20
People who have wealth but lack understanding are like the beasts that perish.

Psalm 57:4
I am in the midst of lions; I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts— men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords.

Psalm 68:30
Rebuke the beast among the reeds, the herd of bulls among the calves of the nations. Humbled, may the beast bring bars of silver. Scatter the nations who delight in war.

Like in the Qur'an descriptive phrases of the era are used---This is not Bashing in the Bible or the Qur'an

Quote:
2:65. And ye know of those of you [the Jews] who broke the Sabbath, bow We said unto them [the Jews]: Be ye apes, despised and hated!
5:60. Shall I tell thee of a worse (case) than theirs for retribution with Allah? Worse (is the case of him) whom Allah hath cursed, him [Kafir] on whom His wrath hath fallen! Worse is he of whose sort Allah hath turned some to apes and swine, and who serveth idols. Such are in worse plight and further astray from the plain road.
7:166. So when they [Jews infidels] took pride in that which they had been forbidden, We said unto them: Be ye apes despised and loathed! [Dehumanized]
I am not certain if ape is actually meant. The Arabic word for ape is sydan. and that is what is being used. It is also used for Monkey. simians and JackanapesLooks like I will have to look at each one in context and also check with Maududi's commentary
2:65
Ayyat 65 is includeed in this revelation
In this portion invitation to the Guidance has particularly been extended to the children of Israel and their past and present attitude has been criticised to show that the cause of their degradation was their deviation from the Guidance. 40 - 120
Now to look at it in the contest of the ayyats immediatly before it and immediatly. As a general rule it takes 9 ayyates to express a complete thought So I will quote 60-69
2:60 (Picktall) And when Moses asked for water for his people, We said: Smite with thy staff the rock. And there gushed out therefrom twelve springs (so that) each tribe knew their drinking place. Eat and drink of that which Allah hath provided, and do not act corruptly, making mischief in the earth.

2:61 (Picktall) And when ye said: O Moses! We are weary of one kind of food; so call upon thy Lord for us that he bring forth for us of that which the earth groweth of its herbs and its cucumbers and its corn and its lentils and its onions. He said: Would ye exchange that which is higher for that which is lower? Go down to settled country, thus ye shall get that which ye demand. And humiliation and wretchedness were stamped upon them and they were visited with wrath from Allah. That was because they disbelieved in Allah's revelations and slew the prophets wrongfully. That was for their disobedience and transgression.

2:62 (Picktall) Lo! those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

2:63 (Picktall) And (remember, O children of Israel) when We made a covenant with you and caused the Mount to tower above you, (saying): Hold fast that which We have given you, and remember that which is therein, that ye may ward off (evil).

2:64 (Picktall) Then, even after that, ye turned away, and if it had not been for the grace of Allah and His mercy ye had been among the losers.

2:65 (Picktall) And ye know of those of you who broke the Sabbath, bow We said unto them: Be ye apes, despised and hated!

2:66 (Picktall) And We made it an example to their own and to succeeding generations, and an admonition to the God fearing.

2:67 (Picktall) And when Moses said unto his people: Lo! Allah commandeth you that ye sacrifice a cow, they said: Dost thou make game of us? He answered: Allah forbid that I should be among the foolish!

2:68 (Picktall) They said: Pray for us unto thy Lord that He make clear to us what (cow) she is. (Moses) answered: Lo! He saith, Verily she is a cow neither with calf nor immature; (she is) between the two conditions; so do that which ye are commanded.

2:69 (Picktall) They said: Pray for us unto thy Lord that He make clear to us of what color she is. (Moses) answered: Lo! He saith: Verily she is a yellow cow. Bright is her color, gladdening beholders.
How is that bashing anybody?
Now looking at 5:60
From Maududi
The revelation it is in is ayyats 51-59
In view of the degenerate moral condition of the Jews and the Christians, the Believers have been warned not to make them their friends and confidants. Likewise they should be on their guard against the evil designs of the hypocrites, the disbelievers and the like and should rely on the true Believers alone. The people of the Book have, in their turn been exhorted to give up their enmity and adopt the right attitude, for they cannot get salvation without this. 51 - 69

5:55 (Picktall) Your friend can be only Allah; and His messenger and those who believe, who establish worship and pay the poor due, and bow down (in prayer).

5:56 (Picktall) And whoso taketh Allah and His messenger and those who believe for friend (will know that), lo! the party of Allah, they are the victorious.

5:57 (Picktall) O ye who believe! Choose not for friends such of those who received the Scripture before you, and of the disbelievers, as make a jest and sport of your religion. But keep your duty to Allah if ye are true believers.

5:58 (Picktall) And when ye call to prayer they take it for a jest and sport. That is because they are a folk who understand not.

5:59 (Picktall) Say: O, People of the Scripture! Do ye blame us for aught else than that we believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed aforetime, and because most of you are evil-livers?

5:60 (Picktall) Shall I tell thee of a worse (case) than theirs for retribution with Allah? Worse (is the case of him) whom Allah hath cursed, him on whom His wrath hath fallen! Worse is he of whose sort Allah hath turned some to apes and swine, and who serveth idols. Such are in worse plight and further astray from the plain road.

5:61 (Picktall) When they come unto you (Muslims), they say: We believe; but they came in unbelief and they went out in the same; and Allah knoweth best what they were hiding.

5:62 (Picktall) And thou seest many of them vying one with another in sin and transgression and their devouring of illicit gain. Verily evil is what they do.

5:63 (Picktall) Why do not the rabbis and the priests forbid their evil speaking and their devouring of illicit gain? Verily evil is their handiwork.

5:64 (Picktall) The Jews say: Allah's hand is fettered. Their hands are fettered and they are accursed for saying so. Nay, but both His hands are spread out wide in bounty. He bestoweth as He will. That which hath been revealed unto thee from thy Lord is certain to increase the contumacy and disbelief of many of them, and We have cast among them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection. As often as they light a fire for war, Allah extinguisheth it. Their effort is for corruption in the land, and Allah loveth not corrupters.
This was addressed specifically to the Jews of Medina as a warning. It is not a bashing of all non-believers

Now to Look at 7:166
This was revealed in the 5th discourse(revelation) ayyats 59-171
Events from the lives of some well-known Prophets -- Noah, Hud, Salih, Lot, Shu`aib, Moses (Allah's peace be upon them all) -- have been related to show the consequences of the rejection of the Message, and the addressees of Prophet Muhammad (Allah's peace be upon him) have been admonished to accept and follow the Message in order to escape perdition. 59 - 171

7:162 (Picktall) But those of them who did wrong changed the word which had been told them for another saying, and We sent down upon them wrath from heaven for their wrongdoing.

7:163 (Picktall) Ask them (O Muhammad) of the township that was by the sea, how they did break the sabbath, how their big fish came unto them visibly upon their sabbath day and on a day when they did not keep sabbath came they not unto them. Thus did We try them for that they were evil-livers.

7:164 (Picktall) And when a community among them said: Why preach ye to a folk whom Allah is about to destroy and punish with an awful doom, they said: In order to be free from guilt before your Lord, and that haply they may ward off (evil).

7:165 (Picktall) And when they forgot that whereof they had been reminded, We rescued those who forbade wrong, and visited those who did wrong with dreadful punishment because they were evil livers.

7:166 (Picktall) So when they took pride in that which they had been forbidden, We said unto them: Be ye apes despised and loathed!

7:167 (Picktall) And (remember) when thy Lord proclaimed that He would raise against them till the Day of Resurrection those who would lay on them a cruel torment. Lo! verily thy Lord is swift in prosecution and lo! verily He is Forgiving, Merciful.

7:168 (Picktall) And We have sundered them in the earth as (separate) nations. Some of them are righteous, and some far from that. And We have tried them with good things and evil things that haply they might return.

7:169 (Picktall) And a generation hath succeeded them who inherited the Scriptures. They grasp the goods of this low life (as the price of evil doing) and say: It will be forgiven us. And if there came to them (again) the offer of the like, they would accept it (and would sin again). Hath not the covenant of the Scripture been taken on their behalf that they should not speak aught concerning Allah save the truth? And they have studied that which is therein. And the abode of the Hereafter is better, for those who ward off (evil). Have ye then no sense?

7:170 (Picktall) And as for those who make (men) keep the Scripture, and establish worship--lo! We squander not the wages of reformers.
Again there is no bashing of any group

Quote:
7:176. And had We willed We could have raised him by their means, but he [Adam] clung to the earth and followed his [Adam] own lust. Therefor his [Adam] likeness is as the likeness of a dog; if thou attackest him he panteth with his tongue out, and if thou leavest him he panteth with his tongue out. Such is the likeness [as a dog] of the, people [infidels] who deny Our revelations. Narrate unto them [Children of Adam] the history (of the men of old), that haply they may take thought.

7:179. Already have We urged unto hell many [infidels] of the jinn and humankind, having hearts wherewith they understand not, and having eyes wherewith they see not, and having ears wherewith they hear not. These are as the cattle nay, but they [infidels] are worse! These are the neglectful. [Dehumanized]
Keep in mind the (infidels) are an opinion and not part of the Qur'an
Using Maududi this was the 8th discourse revealed as part of Surah 7,

The example of the one who had the knowledge of the Message but discarded it, has been cited as a warning to those who were treating the Message as false; they have been exhorted to use their faculties to recognize the Message; otherwise Hell would be there abode. 175 - 179
176-179 were a single revelation and is the coplete though of the discourse
7:175 (Picktall) Recite unto them the tale of him to whom We gave Our revelations, but he sloughed them off, so Satan overtook him and he became of those who lead astray.
7:176 (Picktall) And had We willed We could have raised him by their means, but he clung to the earth and followed his own lust. Therefore his likeness is as the likeness of a dog; if thou attackest him he panteth with his tongue out, and if thou leavest him he panteth with his tongue out. Such is the likeness of the people who deny Our revelations. Narrate unto them the history (of the men of old), that haply they may take thought.
7:177 (Picktall) Evil as an example are the folk who denied Our revelations, and were wont to wrong themselves.
7:178 (Picktall) He who Allah leadeth, he indeed is led aright, while he whom Allah sendeth astray they indeed are losers.

7:179 (Picktall) Already have We urged unto hell many of the jinn and humankind, having hearts wherewith they understand not, and having eyes wherewith they see not, and having ears wherewith they hear not. These are as the cattle nay, but they are worse! These are the neglectful.
The last 2 discourse give an excellent Summation of Surah 7
In this concluding portion of the Surah, some deviations of those who do not use their faculties properly to understand the Message have been dealt with and they have been admonished, reproved and warned of the serious consequences of their antagonistic attitude towards the Message of the Holy Prophet. 180 - 198

In conclusion, instructions have been given to the Holy Prophet, and through him to his followers, about the attitude they should adopt towards those who reject the Message and deviate from it. 199 - 206

7:180 (Picktall) Allah's are the fairest names. Invoke Him by them. And leave the company of those who blaspheme His names. They will be requited what they do.

7:181 (Picktall) And of those whom We created there is a nation who guide with the Truth and establish justice therewith.

7:182 (Picktall) And those who deny Our revelations--step by step We lead them on from whence they know not.

7:183 (Picktall) I give them rein (for) lo! My scheme is strong.

7:184 (Picktall) Have they not bethought them (that) there is no madness in their comrade? He is but a plain warner.

7:185 (Picktall) Have they not considered the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and what things Allah hath created, and that it may be that their own term draweth nigh? In what fact after this will they believe?

7:186 (Picktall) Those whom Allah sendeth astray, there is no guide for them. He leaveth them to wander blindly on in their contumacy.

7:187 (Picktall) They ask thee of the (destined) Hour, when will it come to port. Say: Knowledge thereof is with my Lord only. He alone will manifest it at its proper time. It is heavy in the heavens and the earth. It cometh not to you save unawares. They question thee as if thou couldst be well informed thereof. Say: Knowledge thereof is with Allah only, but most of mankind know not.

7:188 (Picktall) Say: For myself I have no power to benefit, nor power to hurt, save that which Allah willeth. Had I knowledge of the Unseen, I should have abundance of wealth, and adversity would not touch me. I am but a warner, and a bearer of good tidings unto folk who believe.

7:189 (Picktall) He it is who did create you from a single soul, and therefrom did make his mate that he might take rest in her. And when he covered her she bore a light burden, and she passed (unnoticed) with it, but when it became heavy they cried unto Allah, their Lord, saying: If thou givest unto us aright we shall be of the thankful.

7:190 (Picktall) But when He gave unto them aright, they ascribed unto Him partners in respect of that which He had given them. High is He exalted above all that they associate (with Him).

7:191 (Picktall) Attribute they as partners to Allah those who created naught, but are themselves created,

7:192 (Picktall) And cannot give them help, nor can they help themselves?

7:193 (Picktall) And if ye call them to the Guidance, they follow you not. Whether ye call them or are silent is all one to them.

7:194 (Picktall) Lo! those on whom ye call beside Allah are slaves like unto you. Call on them now, and let them answer you, if ye are truthful!

7:195 (Picktall) Have they feet wherewith they walk, or have they hands wherewith they hold, or have they eyes wherewith they see, or have they ears wherewith they hear? Say: Call upon your (so-called) partners (of Allah), and then contrive against me, spare me not!

7:196 (Picktall) Lo! my Protecting Friend is Allah who revealeth the Scripture. He befriendeth the righteous.

7:197 (Picktall) They on whom ye call beside Him have no power to help you, nor can they help themselves.

7:198 (Picktall) And if ye (Muslims) call them to the Guidance they hear not; and thou (Muhammad) seest them looking toward thee, but they see not.

7:199 (Picktall) Keep to forgiveness (O Muhammad), and enjoin kindness, and turn away from the ignorant.

7:200 (Picktall) And if a slander from the devil wound thee, then seek refuge in Allah. Lo! He is Hearer, Knower.
7:201 (Picktall) Lo! those who ward off (evil), when a glamour from the devil troubleth them, they do but remember (Allah's guidance) and behold them seers!

7:202 (Picktall) Their brethren plunge them further into error and cease not.

7:203 (Picktall) And when thou bringest not a verse for them they say: Why hast thou not chosen it? Say: I follow only that which is inspired in me from my Lord. This (Qur'an) is insight from your Lord, and a guidance and a mercy for a people that believe.

7:204 (Picktall) And when the Qur'an is recited, give ear to it and pay heed, that ye may obtain mercy.

7:205 (Picktall) And do thou [O Muhammad) remember thy Lord within thyself humbly and with awe, below thy breath, at morn and evening. And be thou not of the neglectful.

7:206 (Picktall) Lo! those who are with thy Lord are not too proud to do Him service, but they praise Him and adore Him.

No bashing there

Quote:
8:65. O Prophet! Exhort the believers [Muslims] to fight. If there be of you [Muslims] twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred [infidels], and if there be of you a hundred steadfast they shall overcome a thousand of those [infidels] who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) [the infidels] are a folk without intelligence. [put-down]
Hope you realize, there never was an Arabic word that translates into infidel. The term was coined by Pope Gregory in the First Crusade from the French infidelis and originally was the label for Non-Catholic. The Crusades were not just killing Muslims all non-Catholics were included Muslims, Jews, Byzyntine, Eastern Orthodox, Coptics Hindus, etc
Later when the Protestants also got involved in the Crusades it took on the Meaning of non-Christian.
It got associated withMuslims because of the Rudolph Valentino movies of the 1920s in which Arabs were riding camels waving swords and loping off the heads of non-Arabs. It was the non-Muslim world that eventually translated it into Arabic as Kafir
8:65 is the 4th portion revealed in Surah 8
From Maududi
The Muslims should always be prepared for war on every front, but should be ready to make peace if the other party is inclined towards it. 60 - 66
since it is the coplete discourse it is the full meaning in it self
8:60 (Picktall) Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them whom ye know not. Allah knoweth them. Whatsoever ye spend in the way of Allah it will be repaid to you in full, and ye will not be wronged.

8:61 (Picktall) And if they incline to peace, incline thou also to it, and trust in Allah. Lo! He is the Hearer, the Knower.

8:62 (Picktall) And if they would deceive thee, then lo! Allah is sufficient for thee. He it is Who supporteth thee with His help and with the believers,

8:63 (Picktall) And (as for the believers) hath attuned their hearts. If thou hadst spent all that is in the earth thou couldst not have attuned their hearts, but Allah hath attuned them. Lo! He is Mighty, Wise.

8:64 (Picktall) O Prophet! Allah is sufficient for thee and those who follow thee of the believers.

8:65 (Picktall) O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there be of you twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred, and if there be of you a hundred steadfast they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) are a folk without intelligence.

8:66 (Picktall) Now hath Allah lightened your burden, for He knoweth that there is weakness in you. So if there be of you a steadfast hundred they shall overcome two hundred, and if there be of you a thousand (steadfast) they shall overcome two thousand by permission of Allah. Allah is with the steadfast.

Nothing about bashing anyone. All about self defense if attacked

Quote:
9:28. O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year [AH 9]. If ye fear poverty (from the loss of their merchandise) Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise. [Dehumanized]

9:35. On the day when it will (all) be heated in the fire of hell, and their foreheads and their flanks and their backs will be branded therewith (and it will be said unto them): Here is that which ye hoarded for yourselves. Now taste of what ye used to hoard. [branded like the Jews numbered tatoo by Nazi - another sign of dehumanizing]
All about a specific people that had violated the Treaty and were warned to get out or face the consequences
Maududi
In this portion the Muslims have been urged to fight in the Way of Allah with the mushrik Arabs, the Jews and the Christians, who were duly warned of the consequences of their mischievous and inimical behaviour. 13 - 37
9:26 (Picktall) Then Allah sent His peace of reassurance down upon His messenger and upon the believers, and sent down hosts ye could not see, and punished those who disbelieved. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

9:27 (Picktall) Then afterward Allah will relent toward whom He will; for Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

9:28 (Picktall) O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year. If ye fear poverty (from the loss of their merchandise) Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise.

9:29 (Picktall) Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the religion of truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

9:30 (Picktall) And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!

9:31 (Picktall) They have taken as lords beside Allah their rabbis and their monks and the Messiah son of Mary, when they were bidden to worship only One God. There is no god save Him. Be He glorified from all that they ascribe as partner (unto Him)!

9:32 (Picktall) Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah disdaineth (aught) save that He shall perfect His light, however much the disbelievers are averse.

9:33 (Picktall) He it is who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, however much the idolaters may be averse.

9:34 (Picktall) O ye, who believe! Lo! many of the (Jewish) rabbis and the (Christian) monks devour the wealth of mankind wantonly and debar (men) from the way of Allah. They who hoard up gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah, unto them give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom.

9:35 (Picktall) On the day when it will (all) be heated in the fire of hell, and their foreheads and their flanks and their backs will be branded therewith (and it will be said unto them): Here is that which ye hoarded for yourselves. Now taste of what ye used to hoard.

9:36 (Picktall) Lo! the number of the months with Allah is twelve months by Allah's ordinance in the day that He created the heavens and the earth. Four of them are sacred: that is the right religion. So wrong not yourselves in them. And wage war on all the idolaters as they are waging war on all of you. And know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him).

9:37 (Picktall) Postponement (of a sacred month) is only an excess of disbelief whereby those who disbelieve are misled, they allow it one year and forbid it (another) year, that they may make up the number of the months which Allah hath hallowed, so that they allow that which Allah hath forbidden. The evil of their deeds is made fair-seeming unto them. Allah guideth not the disbelieving folk.

9:38 (Picktall) O ye who believe! What aileth you that when it is said unto you: Go forth in the way of Allah, ye are bowed down to the ground with heaviness. Take ye pleasure in the life of the world rather than in the Hereafter? The comfort of the life of the world is but little in the Hereafter.

No bashing taking place

Quote:
25:44. Or deemest thou that most of them hear or understand? They [infidels] are but as the cattle, nay, but they are farther astray!
Begining with Maududi
This Surah was revealed at a single revelation in it's completed form. It is a single discourse
The Surah deals with the doubts and objections that were being raised against the Qur'an, the Prophethood of Muhammad (Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) and his teachings by the disbelievers of Makkah. Appropriate answers to each and every objection have been given and the people have been warned of the consequences of rejecting the Truth. At the end of the Surah, a clear picture of the moral superiority of the Believers has been depicted as in the beginning of Surah Al-Mu'minun, as if to say, 'Here is the criterion for distinguishing the genuine from the counterfeit. This is the noble character of those people who have believed in and followed the teachings of the Holy Prophet and this is the kind of people that he is trying to train. You may yourselves compare and contrast this type of people with those Arabs, who have not as yet accepted the Message, and who are upholding "ignorance" and exerting their utmost to defeat the Truth. Now you may judge for yourselves as to which you would like to choose." Though this question was not posed in so many words, it was placed before every one in Arabia in a tangible shape. It may be noted that during the next few years, the practical answer given to this question by the whole nation, with the exception of a small minority, was that they chose Islam.

25:39 (Picktall) Each (of them) We warned by examples, and each (of them) We brought to utter ruin.

25:40 (Picktall) And indeed they have passed by the township whereon was rained the fatal rain. Can it be that they have not seen it? Nay, but they hope for no resurrection.

25:41 (Picktall) And when they see thee (O Muhammad) they treat thee only as a jest (saying): Is this he whom Allah sendeth as a messenger?

25:42 (Picktall) He would have led us far away from our gods if we had not been staunch to them. They will know, when they behold the doom, who is more astray as to the road.

25:43 (Picktall) Hast thou seen him who chooseth for his god his own lust? Wouldst thou then be guardian over him?

25:44 (Picktall) Or deemest thou that most of them hear or understand? They are but as the cattle, nay, but they are farther astray!

25:45 (Picktall) Hast thou not seen how thy Lord hath spread the shade. And if He willed He could have made it still, then We have made the sun its pilot;

25:46 (Picktall) Then We withdraw it unto Us, a gradual withdrawal?

25:47 (Picktall) And He it is Who maketh night a covering for you, and sleep repose, and maketh day a resurrection.

25:48 (Picktall) And He it is Who sendeth the winds, glad tidings heralding His mercy, and We send down purifying water from the sky.

25:49 (Picktall) That We may give life thereby to a dead land, and We give many beasts and men that We have created to drink thereof.

25:50 (Picktall) And verily We have repeated it among them that they may remember, but most of mankind begrudge aught save in gratitude.

Nobody being bashed there.

Quote:
29:41. The likeness of those [infidels] who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider [reduced to insect] when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew. [infidels chose inferior gods in idols]
29:36 (Picktall) And unto Midian We sent Shueyb, their brother. He said O my people! Serve Allah, and look forward to the Last Day, and do not evil, making mischief, in the earth.

29:37 (Picktall) But they denied him, and the dreadful earthquake took them, and morning found them prostrate in their dwelling place.

29:38 (Picktall) And (the tribes of) Aad and Thamud! (Their fate) is manifest unto you from their (ruined and deserted) dwellings. Satan made their deeds seem fair unto them and so debarred them from the Way, though they were keen observers.

29:39 (Picktall) And Korah, Pharaoh and Haman! Moses came unto them with clear proofs (of Allah's sovereignty), but they were boastful in the land. And they were not winners (in the race).

29:40 (Picktall) So We took each one in his sin; of them was he on whom We sent a hurricane, and of them was he who was overtaken by the (Awful) Cry, and of them was he whom We caused the earth to swallow, and of them was he whom We drowned. It was not for Allah to wrong them, but they wronged themselves.

29:41 (Picktall) The likeness of those who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew.

29:42 (Picktall) Lo! Allah knoweth what thing they invoke instead of Him. He is the Mighty, the Wise.

29:43 (Picktall) As for these similitudes, We coin them for mankind, but none will grasp their meaning save the wise.

29:44 (Picktall) Allah created the heavens and the earth with truth. Lo! therein is indeed a portent for believers.

29:45 (Picktall) Recite that which hath been inspired in thee of the Scripture, and establish worship. Lo! worship preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do.

Quote:
29:41. The likeness of those [infidels] who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider [reduced to insect] when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew. [infidels chose inferior gods in idols
May want to read a bit more about what a spider means in Islam and why Muslims are discourged from harming spiders. They have a special place in Islam and are not considered insects The name of this Surah is al-Ankubut (The Spider)

From Maududi

AL-`ANKABUT
Name

The Surah takes its name from verse 41 in which the word `Ankabut (Spider) has occurred.
Period of Revelation

Verses 56 to 60 clearly show that this Surah was sent down a little before the migration to Habash, and this is supported by the internal evidence of the subject matter as well. Some commentators have opined that since it mentions the hypocrites, and hypocrisy appeared in Madinah, the first ten verses of this Surah were revealed at Madinah and the rest of it at Makkah; whereas the people whose hypocrisy has been mentioned here are those who had adopted a hypocritical way of life because they were afraid of the oppression and extreme physical torture to which the Muslims were being subjected by the disbelievers. Evidently, this kind of hypocrisy could be there only at Makkah and not at Madinah. Similarly, some other commentators, seeing that in this Surah the Muslims have been exhorted to migrate, have regarded it as the last Surah to be revealed at Makkah, whereas the Muslims had migrated to Habash even before their migration to Madinah. These opinions are not based on any tradition but on the internal evidence of the subject matter, and this internal evidence, when considered against the subject matter of the Surah as a whole, points to the conditions prevailing in the time of the migration to Habash and not to the last stage at Makkah.
Theme and Subject matter

A perusal of the Surah shows that the period of its revelation was the period of extreme persecution of the Muslims at Makkah. The disbelievers were opposing and fighting Islam tooth and nail and the new converts were being subjected to the severest oppression. Such were the conditions when Allah sent down this Surah to strengthen and encourage the sincere Muslims as well as to put to shame those who were showing weakness of the faith. Besides, the disbelievers of Makkah have been threatened and warned not to invite for themselves the fate that the antagonists of the Truth have been experiencing in every age.

In this connection, the questions that some young men answered. For instance, their parents were urging them to abandon Muhammad (may Allah's peace be upon him), and return to their ancestral religion, for they argued: "The Qur'an in which you have put your faith, regards the rights of the parents as the uppermost; therefore, listen to what we say; otherwise you will be working against the dictates of your own Faith." This has been answered in verse 8.

Similarly, the people of some clans said to the new converts to Islam, "Leave the question of punishments, etc., to us. Listen to us and abandon this man. If God seizes you in the Hereafter, we will come forward and say, 'Lord, these people are innocent: we had forced them to give up the Faith; therefore, seize us'." This has been dealt with, in vv. 12-13.

The stories mentioned in this Surah also impress the same point mostly, as if to say, "Look at the Prophets of the past: they were made to suffer great hardships and were treated cruelly for long periods. Then, at last they were helped by Allah. Therefore, take heart: Allah's succour will certainly come. But a period of trial and tribulation has to be undergone." Besides teaching this lesson to the Muslims, the disbelievers also have been warned, as if to say, "If you are not being immediately seized by Allah, you should not form the wrong impression that you will never be seized. The signs of the doomed nations of the past are before you. Just see how they met their doom and how Allah succoured the Prophets."

Then the Muslims have been instructed to the effect: "If you feel that the persecution has become unbearable for you, you should give up your homes, instead of giving up your Faith: Allah's earth is vast: seek a new place where you can worship Allah with the full peace of mind." Besides all this, the disbelievers also have been urged to understand Islam. The realities of Tauhid and the Hereafter have been impressed with rational arguments, shirk have been refuted, and drawing their attention towards the signs in the universe, they have been told that all these Signs confirm the teachings that the Prophet is presenting before them.

[Next] [Top] [Previous]

Courtesy : USC Muslim Students Association Islamic Sever

9:35 (Picktall) And verily of that We have left a clear sign for people who have sense.

29:36 (Picktall) And unto Midian We sent Shueyb, their brother. He said O my people! Serve Allah, and look forward to the Last Day, and do not evil, making mischief, in the earth.

29:37 (Picktall) But they denied him, and the dreadful earthquake took them, and morning found them prostrate in their dwelling place.

29:38 (Picktall) And (the tribes of) Aad and Thamud! (Their fate) is manifest unto you from their (ruined and deserted) dwellings. Satan made their deeds seem fair unto them and so debarred them from the Way, though they were keen observers.

29:39 (Picktall) And Korah, Pharaoh and Haman! Moses came unto them with clear proofs (of Allah's sovereignty), but they were boastful in the land. And they were not winners (in the race).

29:40 (Picktall) So We took each one in his sin; of them was he on whom We sent a hurricane, and of them was he who was overtaken by the (Awful) Cry, and of them was he whom We caused the earth to swallow, and of them was he whom We drowned. It was not for Allah to wrong them, but they wronged themselves.

29:41 (Picktall) The likeness of those who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew.

29:42 (Picktall) Lo! Allah knoweth what thing they invoke instead of Him. He is the Mighty, the Wise.

29:43 (Picktall) As for these similitudes, We coin them for mankind, but none will grasp their meaning save the wise.

29:44 (Picktall) Allah created the heavens and the earth with truth. Lo! therein is indeed a portent for believers.

29:45 (Picktall) Recite that which hath been inspired in thee of the Scripture, and establish worship. Lo! worship preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do.

No bashing or insult there

Quote:
47:12. Lo! Allah will cause those who believe and do good works to enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; while those who disbelieve [infidels] take their comfort in this life and eat even as the cattle eat, and the Fire is their habitation..
Period of Revelation

The contents of this Surah testify that it was sent down after the hijrah at Madinah at the time when the fighting had been enjoined, though active fighting had not yet been undertaken. Detailed arguments in support of this view have been given in E. N. 8 below.
Historical Background

The conditions at the time when this Surah was sent down were such that the Muslims were being made the target of persecution and tyranny in Makkah in particular and in Arabia in general, and life had become miserable for them. Although the Muslims had emigrated to the haven of Madinah from every side, the disbelieving Quraish were not prepared to leave them alone and let them live in peace even there. Thus, the small settlement of Madinah was hemmed in by the enemy, who was bent upon exterminating it completely. The only alternative left with the Muslims were that either they should surrender to the forces of ignorance, giving up their mission of preaching the true Faith, or even following it in their private lives, or should rise to wage a war at the cost of their lives to settle finally and for ever whether Islam would stay in Arabia or the creed of ignorance. On this occasion Allah showed the Muslims the same way of resolution and will, which is the only way for the true believers. He first permitted them to fight in Surah Al Hajj 39 and then enjoined fighting in Al Baqarah 190. But at that time everyone knew fully well what it meant to wage a war in those conditions. There were only a handful of Muslims in Madinah, who could not muster even a thousand soldiers; yet they were being urged to take up the sword and clash against the pagan forces of the whole of Arabia. Then the kind of the weapons needed to equip its soldiers for war could hardly be afforded by the town in which hundreds of emigrants were still homeless and unsettled even by resort to starving its members at a time when it had been boycotted economically by the Arabs on all sides.

Theme and Subject Matter

Such were the conditions when this Surah was revealed. Its theme is to prepare the believers for war and to give them preliminary instructions in this regard. That is why it has also been entitled al-Qital. It deals with the following topics:

At the outset it is said that of the two groups confronting each other at this time, one has refused to accept the Truth and has become an obstruction for others on the way of Allah, while the other group has accepted the Truth which had been sent down by Allah to His servant, Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace and blessings). Now, Allah's final decision is that He has rendered fruitless and vain all the works of the former group and set right the condition and affairs of the latter group.

After this, the Muslims have been given the initial war instructions they have been reassured of Allah's help and guidance: they have been given hope for the best rewards on offering sacrifices in the cause of Allah and they have been assured that their struggle in the cause of the Truth will not go to waste, but they will be abundantly rewarded both in this world and in the Hereafter.

Furthermore, about the disbelievers it has been said that they are deprived of Allah's support and guidance: none of their designs will succeed in their conflict with the believers, and they will meet a most evil fate both in this world and in the Hereafter. They thought they had achieved a great success by driving the Prophet of Allah out of Makkah, but in fact by this they had hastened their own doom.

After this, the discourse turns to the hypocrites, who were posing to be sincere Muslims before the command to fight was sent down, but were confounded when this command actually came down, and began to conspire with the disbelievers in order to save themselves from the hazards of war. They have been plainly warned to the effect that no act and deed is acceptable to Allah of those who adopt hypocrisy with regard to Him and His Prophet. There, the basic issue against which all those who profess the Faith are being tried is whether one is on the side of the Truth or Falsehood, whether one's sympathies are with Islam and the Muslims or with disbelief and the disbelievers, whether one keeps one's own self and interests dearer or the Truth which one professes to believe in and follow. One who fails in this test is not at all a believer; his Prayer and his Fasting and his discharging of the zakat deserve no reward from Allah.

Then the Muslims have been exhorted not to lose heart for being small in numbers and ill equipped as against the great strength of the disbelievers: they should not show weakness by offering peace to them, which might still further embolden them against Islam and the Muslims, but they should come out with trust in Allah and clash with the mighty forces of disbelief. Allah is with the Muslims: they alone shall triumph; and the might of disbelief will be humbled and vanquished.

In conclusion, the Muslims have been invited to spend their wealth in the cause of Allah. Although at that time they were economically very weak, the problem that they confronted was the very survival of Islam and the Muslims. The importance and delicacy of the problem demanded that the Muslims should not only risk their lives for safeguarding themselves and their Faith from the dominance of disbelief and for exalting Allah's Religion but should also expend their economic resources as far as possible in the preparations for war. Therefore, they were clearly warned to the effect:Anyone who adopted a *****rdly attitude at the time, would not, in fact, harm Allah at all, but would result in his own destruction, for Allah does not stand in need of help from men. If one group of men shirked offering sacrifices in the cause of His Religion, Allah would remove it and bring another group in its place.
Syed Maududi's Commentary for Surah #47

47:1 (Picktall) Those who disbelieve and turn (men) from the way of Allah, He rendereth their actions vain.

47:2 (Picktall) And those who believe and do good works and believe in that which is revealed unto Muhammad--and it is the truth from their Lord--He riddeth them of their ill deeds and improveth their state.

47:3 (Picktall) That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood and because those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus Allah coineth their similitudes for mankind.

47:4 (Picktall) Now when ye meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when ye have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens. That (is the ordinance). And if Allah willed He could have punished them (without you) but (thus it is ordained) that He may try some of you by means of others. And those who are slain in the way of Allah, He rendereth not their actions vain.

47:5 (Picktall) He will guide them and improve their state,

47:6 (Picktall) And bring them in unto the Garden which He hath made known to them.

47:7 (Picktall) O ye who believe! If ye help Allah, He will help you and will make your foothold firm.

47:8 (Picktall) And those who disbelieve, perdition is for them, and He will make their actions vain.

47:9 (Picktall) That is because they are averse to that which Allah hath revealed, therefor maketh He their action fruitless.

47:10 (Picktall) Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who were before them? Allah wiped them out. And for the disbelievers there will be the like thereof.

47:11 (Picktall) That is because Allah is patron of those who believe, and because the disbelievers have no patron.

47:12 (Picktall) Lo! Allah will cause those who believe and do good works to enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; while those who disbelieve take their comfort in this life and eat even as the cattle eat, and the Fire is their habitation.

47:13 (Picktall) And how many a township stronger than thy township (O Muhammad) which hath cast thee out, have We destroyed, and they had no helper!

47:14 (Picktall) Is he who relieth on a clear proof from his Lord like those for whom the evil that they do is beautified while they follow their own lusts?

47:15 (Picktall) A similitude of the Garden which those who keep their duty (to Allah) are promised: Therein are rivers of water unpolluted, and rivers of milk whereof the flavor changeth not, and rivers of wine delicious to the drinkers, and rivers of clear run honey; therein for them is every kind of fruit, with pardon from their Lord. (Are those who enjoy all this) like those who are immortal in the Fire and are given boiling water to drink so that it teareth their bowels?

Again nobody is being bashed.

Quote:
74:50. As they [infidels] were frightened asses
In vv. 49-53, the root cause of the disbelievers' aversion has been pointed out, saying: "Since they are fearless of the Hereafter, and look upon this worldly life as an end in itself, they flee from the Qur'an as though they were wild asses fleeing away from the lion: therefore, they propose unreasonable conditions for believing, whereas even if each and every condition of theirs was fulfilled, they could not advance even an inch on the way of Faith with their denial of the Hereafter."

74:49 (Picktall) Why now turn they away from the Admonishment

74:50 (Picktall) As they were frightened asses

74:51 (Picktall) Fleeing from a lion!

74:52 (Picktall) Nay, but everyone of them desireth that he should be given open pages (from Allah).

74:53 (Picktall) Nay, verily. They fear not the Hereafter.

Nobody being bashed

Quote:
98:6. Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings. [note contrast 3:110 Muslims are the best] [us versus them]

It is warnings. Each person has access to what happens after death. We all have our choices. The Qur'an like the Scriptures that came earlier explains what results of our choices will be.

The irony is when non-Muslims countered with factual critique they are branded as "Islamophobic" which is another form of irrational bashing..
No irony. The fact is there is no bashing of anyone. The only way the anti=Islamic sites twist words to make them appear to be bashing is my taking them out of context The source of all the bashing and aggression comes down to be the work of 4 or 5 sites.

Quote:
Note there are thousands of others [from mild to crude] bashings which I have not brought in yet.
So far you have not shown one instance of bashing.

Prove that any examples you call bashing are bashing and not misleading people by presenting them out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam