Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 11:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As a Liberal I feel if you are going to wear your religion on your sleeve (in this case your head), don't whine when your religion is discussed.

I will not respect Islam more than other religions, infact I will judge based on the abysmal human rights record in the vast numbers of Muslim countries.

Islam has no place in a civilized society!
Wish I could rep you for that.

Don't wear your religion on the outside and expect people to NEVER comment on it. People who see me out and about have no idea what religion I belong to. I certainly never shove it in anyone's face. I do hear derogatory remarks about Jews from time to time, but my response is usually to roll my eyes and ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 11:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
False. Many people believe that we can say anything you want, calling it freedom of speech, but we can't. That is not correct. Example: CD mods have the right to delete any post they want, as can any website. We don't have freedom of speech here, although we do have a lot more leeway than most websites (thanks mods). The police have arrested people many times for a crime they now call "making terroristic threats," including teenagers. No one is allowed to threaten the president. So no, we aren't allowed to say anything we want, or even most anything we want, especially after 9/11 happened.

Nothing in my post was earlier post was incorrect. I guess you are used to arguing with people who do try to assert Freedom of Speech is protected in non-governmental situations. Try again. I'm well aware of the legal limitations on the legal concept of freedom of speech, and how that applies (or not) to private actors.

There are exceptions to legal concept of "freedom of speech" as it is constituently interpreted - but personal abuse is not one I'm afraid. Threatening the person with boldly harm like you say (and certain other exceptions) - you can get somewhere, but saying someone should go back to their own country - not a chance in hell you will ever get a successful prosecution under any Texas assault law. (see post above).

Now - the specific post you were referring to was in response to the rhetorical question should someone who got beat up for being a muslim just suck it up? - and the answer was no since we uphold freedom of speech and thought (not the Constitutional protection) but clearly delimit actions. There is freedom of speech and thought but not of actions. cf Countries where there are also limitations on what you can say (and even profess to think).

Don't be too quick to assume this is a binary situation with everyone either being a stereotyped liberal or a stereotyped republican.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Just go home.

They were born in, and live in, America. They were home.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States affords them the right to tell others to leave. They can't force them to leave, but they can certainly tell them to.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:14 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
What we have the right to do is often very different than what we should do. The college hippies had the right to say horrible things to Vietnam Vets when they came back from the war. Should they have done so? In my opinion no, but the government has no business telling people what they can/can't say or think.

Also, just because someone has the right to say something doesn't mean there won't be consequences. The government can't prosecute speech, but people can still feel consequences through work, family, friends, etc.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I think all Christians who think all Muslims belong in Saudi Arabia should go back to Israel.

Everyone should live in the country where their religion originated. Solves a lot of problems... Well, unless you are over there, I guess.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?
Part of religious belief doesn't mean that should be accepted here.
Part of muslim belief is a 70 year old man can marry 10 year old girl.
Should we allow that here?
Should they bring their belief and impose it where it's not welcomed?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Part of religious belief doesn't mean that should be accepted here.
Part of muslim belief is a 70 year old man can marry 10 year old girl.
Should we allow that here?
Should they bring their belief and impose it where it's not welcomed?
And the problem with wearing a headscarf is what, exactly? A 70 year old man cannot marry a 10 year old girl because we have numerous laws against pedophilia and child marriage. What law is a woman who chooses to cover her hair violating?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Wish I could rep you for that.

Don't wear your religion on the outside and expect people to NEVER comment on it. People who see me out and about have no idea what religion I belong to. I certainly never shove it in anyone's face. I do hear derogatory remarks about Jews from time to time, but my response is usually to roll my eyes and ignore it.

ban it all!! take away all crosses, all virgin Mary's, all bumper stickers - all WWJD bracelets - no more bibles on the car dash-and OMG those catholic girls uniforms! and now lets start with the Kippah and the star of David and so forth- next "OM" and for Pete's sake YOGA!! yoga PANTS just stop that mess!!

bunch of biased ignorant folks pointing fingers to the vey reason the USA exists-- shame on you - men and women die for those freedoms-- stop already!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
I think as muslims, and living in TEXAS especically. They should be prepared for stuff like that to happen. I barely see muslims out here in austin. I maybe see one or two month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam