Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 01:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo54 View Post
Nobody has taken interest in this thread so I have decided to abandon it.

@mods, please close the thread, thank you.
Before you go, can you explain why women have to be totally covered head-to-toe? And have little autonomy?

Old 06-22-2022, 10:56 AM

3,640 posts, read 40,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Before you go, can you explain why women have to be totally covered head-to-toe? And have little autonomy?
In Islam, women do not have to be totally covered head to toe. And they do not have little autonomy. There have been women leaders in counties like Pakistan and Bangladesh (Islamic countries).

Old 06-29-2022, 01:46 AM

94 posts, read 104,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Please reflect on why you think Muslim women have little autonomy and then ask a specific question about an issue. Your question appears to be centered around a media propagated stereotype or perhaps cultural traditions.

As for hijab, it is something commanded in the Quran along with the reason "so that they should be known (as Muslims) and not harassed" We consider it as modesty and protection but first most to please God.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:03 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo54 View Post
Hello,

So I just read a similar topic and I believe OP didn't do justice to it. Also, the discussion quickly deviated from religion to politics so here I'm starting a new topic and will do my best to answer any questions you might have regarding Islam.

Please note, I'm not a Islamic scholar and neither is English my first language. So my response maybe limited or I might skip it all together. Please don't throw stones at me for this. If this thread doesn't interests you, you can always ignore it.

Also, please note that my last post on this board (about two years ago if I remember correctly ) was removed by a moderator even though I believe my response was completely valid. This also limits my ability to engage in thoughtful discussions.

Thank you and kind regards.
Peace be with you, my friend.
I'll ask - Do you Love God?
Now I know anybody can just reply 'yes' - so what I'm really asking is for you to explain/detail/share.
Anybody can reply.
Thanks, and eagerly awaiting your reply.
-CCC

Old 07-03-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Peace be with you, my friend.
Peace be with you too, my friend. Welcome to the Islam forum.
Quote:
I'll ask - Do you Love God?
Now I know anybody can just reply 'yes' - so what I'm really asking is for you to explain/detail/share.
Anybody can reply.
Before I answer, from Islamic point of view, could you please give me your definition of "love" and how can someone prove that s/he loves God? I need to know the criteria you will use to judge my answer. Only then I can explain my answer in detail.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:19 PM

Hi Khalif, and thank you for considering my question.

Please forgive any brashness in my question - as my understanding of Islam is very limited.
I'm not seeking to judge or prove any point - just greater understanding of Islam's, or a Muslims personal perspective on this - a simple open informal discussion.

From my perspective (love) - I guess I'd be asking about understanding of a personal relationship with God, beyond just observing (obeying) laws/rules/commands. Also beyond ritual worship/prayer.
Now I do understand all these things are important, and I'm not seeking to diminish in any way.

Perhaps my focus can be better understood in light of a verse Jesus stated at John 14:23 in the Christian bible "Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."

So not really focusing on 'proving' or proof that one Loves God, but understanding others personal perspectives/experiences of love for God? I hope that helps.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hi Khalif, and thank you for considering my question.

Please forgive any brashness in my question - as my understanding of Islam is very limited.
I'm not seeking to judge or prove any point - just greater understanding of Islam's, or a Muslims personal perspective on this - a simple open informal discussion.

From my perspective (love) - I guess I'd be asking about understanding of a personal relationship with God, beyond just observing (obeying) laws/rules/commands. Also beyond ritual worship/prayer.
Now I do understand all these things are important, and I'm not seeking to diminish in any way.

Perhaps my focus can be better understood in light of a verse Jesus stated at John 14:23 in the Christian bible "Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."

So not really focusing on 'proving' or proof that one Loves God, but understanding others personal perspectives/experiences of love for God? I hope that helps.
Thank you my friend.

No definition of "love"?

Can there be one way love or is it always two-way love?

Is Jesus talking about one way love or a conditional (two-way) love?

I hope to respond tomorrow as I am a little tied up. My daughter has just landed in Jeddah and we are all happy for her on her hajj journey.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Thank you my friend.

No definition of "love"?

Can there be one way love or is it always two-way love?

Is Jesus talking about one way love or a conditional (two-way) love?

I hope to respond tomorrow as I am a little tied up. My daughter has just landed in Jeddah and we are all happy for her on her hajj journey.
Hi Khalif,

No problem - take your time and please enjoy your time with your family!

I don't have a set definition of 'love' in this instance that I'm trying to compare to. I'm open to all definitions/interpretations.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Thank you for making that clear.

My understanding of Islam is that it's a name given to the religion given to mankind by God, fundamental principles of which are the same in all three so-called Abrahamic religions. Abraham did not have 3 religions but one religion; belief in One God and keeping the commandments. He obeyed commands from God.

Therefore, Islam (al-islam = the islam = Islam = obeying God)

It can be better understood if we understand the purpose of creation of human and being placed on earth as the leading earthly living being. Such a leader on earth is called vicegerent (viceroy). A viceroy is a leader but not an outright leader. Such a leader does lead but also takes instructions/commands from a higher power such as king. In human case, the higher power (the King) is God. Thus if we are to meet the purpose of our creation then we need to obey those instructions/commands from God (our Creator). Otherwise we won't know the purpose of our life on earth.

Keeping the Commandments is the fundamental principle in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

So whoever obeys whatever is commanded by God whether Jewish, Christian or Muslim will have salvation (be saved from the hellfire). Therefore, doing good deeds (as commanded by God) to the earthly living beings (other humans, animals, birds, insects, fish and even looking after trees and plants) is not only the purpose of our life but a way to our salvation. There is no free license to salvation based on mere belief or based on a genealogy of a certain tribe or family.

There is no one-way love. The words of Jesus you had quoted prove this point; "If you". Not "if you just believe". One proves his/her believing by his/her works. Otherwise, merely saying, "I love God" means very little. Even you are looking to understand how to love God other than merely saying, "yes".

Rituals such as praying, fasting and going on pilgrimage journey are training grounds for humans to become better humans. These rituals in themselves are not the deeds that are good deeds that will bring you salvation but the good deeds one does towards other earthly living beings after being trained through these rituals/prayers etc.

Quote:
Personal relationship with an invisible God is something similar to the relationship between a poor person with a rich person in a foreign land who has just given the former plenty of money. The poor man has never seen the rich man but still has a spiritual relationship. Wouldn't the poor man help a little his poor neighbour if the rich man asked him to do so?

Relationship between man and God is spiritual. There is spirit in man that came from God. Source of our spirit is God. This is the link. God's words carry spirit from God. With those words, our spirit is strengthened. The more our spirit is strengthened with more spirit from God, the closer we get to God spiritually.

This is how I see my relationship with God. It is a two-way relationship. It is a two-way love between man and God. Not many people can understand such a spiritual relationship.

Quote:
Yes, "anyone who loves me" and "obey my teaching". Conditional love. Keep in mind that Jesus wasn't teaching from himself but as God had taught him. That's why God was going to love those who obeyed.

Quote:
I hope what I have written here will help. We can understand each other only if we discuss these matters sincerely.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Thank you for making that clear.

My understanding of Islam is that it's a name given to the religion given to mankind by God, fundamental principles of which are the same in all three so-called Abrahamic religions. Abraham did not have 3 religions but one religion; belief in One God and keeping the commandments. He obeyed commands from God.

Therefore, Islam (al-islam = the islam = Islam = obeying God)

It can be better understood if we understand the purpose of creation of human and being placed on earth as the leading earthly living being. Such a leader on earth is called vicegerent (viceroy). A viceroy is a leader but not an outright leader. Such a leader does lead but also takes instructions/commands from a higher power such as king. In human case, the higher power (the King) is God. Thus if we are to meet the purpose of our creation then we need to obey those instructions/commands from God (our Creator). Otherwise we won't know the purpose of our life on earth.

Keeping the Commandments is the fundamental principle in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

So whoever obeys whatever is commanded by God whether Jewish, Christian or Muslim will have salvation (be saved from the hellfire). Therefore, doing good deeds (as commanded by God) to the earthly living beings (other humans, animals, birds, insects, fish and even looking after trees and plants) is not only the purpose of our life but a way to our salvation. There is no free license to salvation based on mere belief or based on a genealogy of a certain tribe or family.

There is no one-way love. The words of Jesus you had quoted prove this point; "If you". Not "if you just believe". One proves his/her believing by his/her works. Otherwise, merely saying, "I love God" means very little. Even you are looking to understand how to love God other than merely saying, "yes".

Rituals such as praying, fasting and going on pilgrimage journey are training grounds for humans to become better humans. These rituals in themselves are not the deeds that are good deeds that will bring you salvation but the good deeds one does towards other earthly living beings after being trained through these rituals/prayers etc.

Personal relationship with an invisible God is something similar to the relationship between a poor person with a rich person in a foreign land who has just given the former plenty of money. The poor man has never seen the rich man but still has a spiritual relationship. Wouldn't the poor man help a little his poor neighbour if the rich man asked him to do so?

Relationship between man and God is spiritual. There is spirit in man that came from God. Source of our spirit is God. This is the link. God's words carry spirit from God. With those words, our spirit is strengthened. The more our spirit is strengthened with more spirit from God, the closer we get to God spiritually.

This is how I see my relationship with God. It is a two-way relationship. It is a two-way love between man and God. Not many people can understand such a spiritual relationship.

Yes, "anyone who loves me" and "obey my teaching". Conditional love. Keep in mind that Jesus wasn't teaching from himself but as God had taught him. That's why God was going to love those who obeyed.

I hope what I have written here will help. We can understand each other only if we discuss these matters sincerely.

Hi Khalif,
Thank you so much for your reply.
There is much wisdom in these words you wrote - I'm glad I asked, and I hope all will see also these words you shared!

This resonates largely with my personal beliefs and experiences.
I too feel that many are missing a close personal relationship with God.
I personally feel that we CAN get a 'taste' of paradise even while still in this life; it won't come without also sacrifice and some innocent suffering in this life, as those too are part of the spiritual strengthening, in my opinion.

Thank you again for taking time to share a thoughtful reply.
May peace be with you, and your entire household; and may God continue to bless you all abundantly!

-CCCyou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam