Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times

Advertisements

Adding to that, the residents of Eastover would be apoplectic if the city considered selling state property for a giant Costco, right across from the city's nicest, most expensive neighborhood. Additionally that state property was set aside for cultural purposes decades ago (hence the research and development center, the various museums etc).

To me a good location might be where that hotel is along I-55N west frontage road, roughly where Old Canton Rd crosses under the interstate kind of between Stein Mart and Kroger. but across the interstate That hotel is about 7 stories maybe and has changed hands a dozen times over the years.

Or...there's that other hideous motel just north of the west frontage rd/Northside Drive interchange. With all those old aging apartments and offices back in there, you would think for the right price they cobble together land somewhere in that area, thus improving the city rather than ruining one of the nicer areas along Lakeland (imho).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 04:52 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
You guys know that just because there's a empty piece of land doesn't mean you can drop a business into it OR that a company would want to be there.

Not to mention there isn't a spot at Ridgeland/Lakeland. That's owned by Mississippi Public Broadcasting. There's no space anyways.
Actually, Costco IS talking to Mayor Yarber about other spots in the city of Jackson, so the spot of Ridgewood and Lakeland MAY be a possibility, but if not I'm sure they're working something out. Costco has repeatedly made it clear that they want to locate in Jackson and nowhere else in the Metro area.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,476 times
They want to be in jackson because Sams is in Rankin and Madison.

And no they aren't going to be at Ridgewood and Lakeland for the reasons I stated. If they want interstate access it's going to be tough in Jackson & I-55.

I do know that Office Depot at Canton Mart rd is closing this month. That might be a potential site. However Krogers is right next door and I doubt they would tolerate a discount big box retailer next to them.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,393 times
Quote:
I do know that Office Depot at Canton Mart rd is closing this month. That might be a potential site. However Krogers is right next door and I doubt they would tolerate a discount big box retailer next to them.
The Office Depot site is nowhere near big enough for a Costco lol, but you're probably right about the Kroger thing. No way is that happening!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,149 times
Quote:
Not to mention there isn't a spot at Ridgeland/Lakeland. That's owned by Mississippi Public Broadcasting. There's no space anyways.
I was wondering if MPB owned that.

I was researching...the average Costco is about 155K square feet. The average Walmart Supercenter is about 200K. You also have to take parking and a gas station into account. I don't know where in north Jackson on Lakeland, County Line or along I-55 that has room for such a building without having to buy property and tearing it down. They could put it on West County Line near 220. I believe that's part of Jackson (I'd have to double check). Another spot is south Jackson near the old Home Depot. A Walmart and Lowe's are nearby. Why not?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
The Office Depot site is nowhere near big enough for a Costco lol, but you're probably right about the Kroger thing. No way is that happening!
That's correct, unless Costco reduced the building footprint

Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I was wondering if MPB owned that.

I was researching...the average Costco is about 155K square feet. The average Walmart Supercenter is about 200K. You also have to take parking and a gas station into account. I don't know where in north Jackson on Lakeland, County Line or along I-55 that has room for such a building without having to buy property and tearing it down. They could put it on West County Line near 220. I believe that's part of Jackson (I'd have to double check). Another spot is south Jackson near the old Home Depot. A Walmart and Lowe's are nearby. Why not?
South Jackson? That's not their market. And can't see them on W County Line rd on 220.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 PM

Costco at Smith-Wills is a no-go. Mayor Yarber said they're still looking at sites in the city, preferably along I-55.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Costco at Smith-Wills is a no-go. Mayor Yarber said they're still looking at sites in the city, preferably along I-55.
Everyone's known that for several weeks now.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM

^^

It was made official a few days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson