Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Of course it is, people are constantly walking the streets downtown exploring & taking photos. I work at the Marriott, so I would know!
haha. Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU. I mean HECK Ridgeland has more walkers than freaking Madison! No one EVER walks in Madison, I've never seen anyone walking around Madison AT ALL. Ridgeland & Jackson are more walking cities put together than ALL of Madison the "City".
Are you finished? Where did I say Madison was a walking city? Hmm?

If you want to think a lot of people like walking around Jackson or if you think Jackson is a city where people wake up one morning and say "hey, let's travel to Jackson and go walk around the city" then go ahead and believe that all you want.

Last edited by madison2013; 11-02-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Madison's immaculate subdivisions are great for walking. Lost Rabbit, Reunion, Ingleside, Lake Caroline, countless others. There's a new lake and park on Madison Avenue. If memory serves, I believe that lake will venture throughout town following an existing stream (I think...) That said, it's not an urban walk, like walking around a university campus or through a downtown area.

I read today in the news that Madison is another step towards settling the contract with the development company in Birmingham to build its downtown. And they are expanding some of the roads such as Madison Avenue and Hoy Rd, so ideally they will have bike paths and walking paths through town leading to the new downtown Madison.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Thanks Grandview Gloria but I have no money right now for the high end stuff. I'll stick to the ordinary everyday stuff the average person does/buys around there.

Among other things, I just like to walk the streets when I go to a new place.
Well, in that case, I think that you'll love Jackson. There are plenty of people there, walking the streets, day and night. You'll have plenty of company. In fact, quite a few Jacksonians have realized that streetwalking makes a dandy vocation.

Definitely, you should take in Historic Farish Street. The intent in its four-decades-long restoration was that it become Jackson's Entertainment District - what Bourbon Street is to New Orleans, and what Beale Street is to Memphis. There certainly are similarities... And something interesting seems to be happening there, no matter the hour: Body found in ditch near downtown Jackson

Farish Street is probably best as the terminus of a walking tour of Jackson. So, before that, I'd commune with nature in lovely Smith Park, just across the street from both the Governor's Mansion and The Cathedral of Saint Peter. Amid the aura of both state and ecclesiastic authority, you're sure to have interesting interactions with other park patrons. They'll be glad to see you!

And if weather proves less-than-ideal, do not fear! Three spectacular shopping malls provide walking opportunities galore. Jackson Mall, Northpark Mall, and MetroCenter each have their own unique 'vibes', and generally, one has impromptu spontaneous interactions with young people who frequent these walking venues. Particularly recommended is spacious Northpark Mall, with it's newly-developed 60,000-square-foot La Plaza de Metrocenter - a perpetual fiesta - a mall-within-the-mall, geared toward Latino-owned and operated stores! Muy especial!

Just remember to check to see whether one of the many area gangs is having its 'Initiation Week'. If so, then I wouldn't be wearing any rings while mall-walking.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-11-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Well, in that case, I think that you'll love Jackson. There are plenty of people there, walking the streets, day and night. You'll have plenty of company. In fact, quite a few Jacksonians have realized that streetwalking makes a dandy vocation.

Definitely, you should take in Historic Farish Street. The intent in its four-decades-long restoration was that it become Jackson's Entertainment District - what Bourbon Street is to New Orleans, and what Beale Street is to Memphis. There certainly are similarities... And something interesting seems to be happening there, no matter the hour: Body found in ditch near downtown Jackson

Farish Street is probably best as the terminus of a walking tour of Jackson. So, before that, I'd commune with nature in lovely Smith Park, just across the street from both the Governor's Mansion and The Cathedral of Saint Peter. Amid the aura of both state and ecclesiastic authority, you're sure to have interesting interactions with other park patrons. They'll be glad to see you!

And if weather proves less-than-ideal, do not fear! Three spectacular shopping malls provide walking opportunities galore. Jackson Mall, Northpark Mall, and MetroCenter each have their own unique 'vibes', and generally, one has impromptu spontaneous interactions with young people who frequent these walking venues. Particularly recommended is spacious Northpark Mall, with it's newly-developed 60,000-square-foot La Plaza de Metrocenter - a perpetual fiesta - a mall-within-the-mall, geared toward Latino-owned and operated stores! Muy especial!

Just remember to check to see whether one of the many area gangs is having its 'Initiation Week'. If so, then I wouldn't be wearing any rings while mall-walking.

The not-a-Mississippi-resident has chimmed in. Don't put much thought into whatever she rambles on about.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,205 times
Quote:

OMG, you teed me off when you said "area gangs" LOL you really have no CLUE what the Jackson metro area is like these days do you ... This isn't the 1990s anymore. Get your head out of your butt.

For starters, Ridgeland NEVER had any gangs, and last time I checked people still flack to Northpark Mall in the millions each day, so there you go.

And secondly, MetroCenter is making a small comeback, guaranteed you are that the Lower Level is completely vacant, but that's only because of a condo deal that fell through some time ago, so give it time. But the Upper Level has had the most shops it's had up there in YEARS. Still the area may seem "rough" to some, but like Bob Crechale, owner of locally known & locally famous restaurant Crechale's Cafe said, that is just a perception by people.

Oh and third, once again you prove that you DO NOT live here and have no business talking about local things to outsiders, but the Jackson Mall hasn't been a "Mall" per say since 1995. From that point on, it was saved from decaying times by local hospital University Medical Center, and transformed into the Jackson Medical Mall. Today, it thrives as a place for area folks, and people from all over the state to come for different medical needs. But by no means, is it a "shopping mall", nope not since '95.

So sorry if GG painted an inaccurate picture of the metro area malls, but I think I painted a more accurate one for ya!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
OMG, you teed me off when you said "area gangs" LOL you really have no CLUE what the Jackson metro area is like these days do you ... This isn't the 1990s anymore. Get your head out of your butt.

For starters, Ridgeland NEVER had any gangs, and last time I checked people still flack to Northpark Mall in the millions each day, so there you go.

And secondly, MetroCenter is making a small comeback, guaranteed you are that the Lower Level is completely vacant, but that's only because of a condo deal that fell through some time ago, so give it time. But the Upper Level has had the most shops it's had up there in YEARS. Still the area may seem "rough" to some, but like Bob Crechale, owner of locally known & locally famous restaurant Crechale's Cafe said, that is just a perception by people.

Oh and third, once again you prove that you DO NOT live here and have no business talking about local things to outsiders, but the Jackson Mall hasn't been a "Mall" per say since 1995. From that point on, it was saved from decaying times by local hospital University Medical Center, and transformed into the Jackson Medical Mall. Today, it thrives as a place for area folks, and people from all over the state to come for different medical needs. But by no means, is it a "shopping mall", nope not since '95.

So sorry if GG painted an inaccurate picture of the metro area malls, but I think I painted a more accurate one for ya!
And now you will be attacked because you dared to correct a person who chimes in with her incorrect assumptions because she doesn't live in mississippi. She's a troll. Report her. Maybe the mods will start cracking down.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Default Oh, NO you di'-'un!

Quote:

Thank you for that well-deserved upbraiding! And the accuracy of your descriptions is dazzling - stupefying, even! I stand corrected. While I had put a "Carefree Caprice/Date with Serendipity" spin on things, you came along and informed us that things are FAR WORSE than Gloria was letting on.

While I optimistically included Jackson Mall among "spectacular shopping malls", you informed us that the mall had required being rescued from "decaying times", and now served as a medical mall for the region's ill-&-impoverished. Thank you! Because while many cities can boast Dead Malls, only Jackson can boast a Sick Mall. I understand, though, that some retail establishments and food vendors persist at Jackson Medical Mall, and the increased foot traffic has actually attracted a few of these. Presumably, the parquet-floored center promenade is still walkable. So, Jackson Medical Mall surely still offers a unique walking experience for the OP, who has already informed us that he is not interested in "high end" things. And I would imagine that the people availing themselves of the mall's benches have plenty of time to chat with the OP: so Jackson Mall offers a singularly fantastic opportunity to "get to know The People".

While I was focusing on MetroCenter's zingy new sixty-thousand-square-foot Latino-themed La Plaza de MetroCenter (which seems to have been current news as recently as 2013: Metrocenter For Sale | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS ), you chose to inform us that the "...Lower Level is completely vacant." Maybe they could stock the Lower Level with Zombies, safely viewable from the balcony corridors of the Upper Level. Then, Jacktown could boast a Mall of the Living Dead. Jackson's leaders have been wondering how to make Jacktown into a "destination city" and how to attract tourists. I think that a Mall of the Living Dead would definitely turn the trick. While most of us would not bother to walk across the street to see a danged "Civil Rights Museum", people would be driving in from as far as Bogalusa and Pine Bluff, to go see the Zombie Mall.

The Delta's Monkey Store used to draw frantic children from tens-of-miles away, even though the monkey had been gone since the Health Department Lady got wind of it - which had been decades back. Impoverished Delta children used to live and dream for the chance to go up in that store and see that monkey (a pretty good illustration of how much happier the Delta's Poor would be in Atlanta). And if a single half-dead monkey can create that much interest, just think how sensational would be a Full-Mall Zombie Pit.

And I totally stand corrected that today's Jacktown is not the Jackson of the Nineties. Post-Katrina, it's turned into a major Narcotics Hub! Now, there aren't just gangs: there are cartels! And I should have known that gang members are incapable of crossing County Line Road and thereby reaching Northpark Mall. Must be like when witches can't cross over water. So, I guess that cars and buses cannot help gang members reach Northpark, either.

All of this pales, though, beside the stunning accuracy of your assertion that "...people still flack to Northpark Mall in the millions each day." I assume that, since Yankees pronounce 'flock' as 'flack', you used to stay with a grandmother/aunt/daddy in the Detroit area, or maybe even Chicago or Milwaukee. That adds poignancy. Inntyway... your statement led me to check into exactly what kind of traffic a popular mall can expect. America In this article, we are informed that The Mall of America (the mind-numbingly gargantuan Mall-of-all-Malls outside Minneapolis) gets a "...staggering forty million visitors per YEAR." That seems to be about the highest number any mall can expect. Far be it from me to suggest that Northpark Mall in Ridgeland, Mississippi gets fewer visitors than does Mall of America up in Minnesota... so if you divide forty million by the 365 days in a year, does that come out to "millions each day"?

In my head, I'm getting a bit over a hundred thousand each day. But what do I know? I had to perform certain 'acts' as payment to my Math Tutor - multiple times each day, for years and years, just to struggle through three degrees in Economics (okaaay... it was my husband, and I was not exactly suffering from the sacrifice...). Simple division seems to elude me. Can you help me out? Forty million divided by 365? How many millions is that?

Old 11-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that well-deserved upbraiding! And the accuracy of your descriptions is dazzling - stupefying, even! I stand corrected. While I had put a "Carefree Caprice/Date with Serendipity" spin on things, you came along and informed us that things are FAR WORSE than Gloria was letting on.

While I optimistically included Jackson Mall among "spectacular shopping malls", you informed us that the mall had required being rescued from "decaying times", and now served as a medical mall for the region's ill-&-impoverished. Thank you! Because while many cities can boast Dead Malls, only Jackson can boast a Sick Mall. I understand, though, that some retail establishments and food vendors persist at Jackson Medical Mall, and the increased foot traffic has actually attracted a few of these. Presumably, the parquet-floored center promenade is still walkable. So, Jackson Medical Mall surely still offers a unique walking experience for the OP, who has already informed us that he is not interested in "high end" things. And I would imagine that the people availing themselves of the mall's benches have plenty of time to chat with the OP: so Jackson Mall offers a singularly fantastic opportunity to "get to know The People".

While I was focusing on MetroCenter's zingy new sixty-thousand-square-foot Latino-themed La Plaza de MetroCenter (which seems to have been current news as recently as 2013: Metrocenter For Sale | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS ), you chose to inform us that the "...Lower Level is completely vacant." Maybe they could stock the Lower Level with Zombies, safely viewable from the balcony corridors of the Upper Level. Then, Jacktown could boast a Mall of the Living Dead. Jackson's leaders have been wondering how to make Jacktown into a "destination city" and how to attract tourists. I think that a Mall of the Living Dead would definitely turn the trick. While most of us would not bother to walk across the street to see a danged "Civil Rights Museum", people would be driving in from as far as Bogalusa and Pine Bluff, to go see the Zombie Mall.

The Delta's Monkey Store used to draw frantic children from tens-of-miles away, even though the monkey had been gone since the Health Department Lady got wind of it - which had been decades back. Impoverished Delta children used to live and dream for the chance to go up in that store and see that monkey (a pretty good illustration of how much happier the Delta's Poor would be in Atlanta). And if a single half-dead monkey can create that much interest, just think how sensational would be a Full-Mall Zombie Pit.

And I totally stand corrected that today's Jacktown is not the Jackson of the Nineties. Post-Katrina, it's turned into a major Narcotics Hub! Now, there aren't just gangs: there are cartels! And I should have known that gang members are incapable of crossing County Line Road and thereby reaching Northpark Mall. Must be like when witches can't cross over water. So, I guess that cars and buses cannot help gang members reach Northpark, either.

All of this pales, though, beside the stunning accuracy of your assertion that "...people still flack to Northpark Mall in the millions each day." I assume that, since Yankees pronounce 'flock' as 'flack', you used to stay with a grandmother/aunt/daddy in the Detroit area, or maybe even Chicago or Milwaukee. That adds poignancy. Inntyway... your statement led me to check into exactly what kind of traffic a popular mall can expect. America In this article, we are informed that The Mall of America (the mind-numbingly gargantuan Mall-of-all-Malls outside Minneapolis) gets a "...staggering forty million visitors per YEAR." That seems to be about the highest number any mall can expect. Far be it from me to suggest that Northpark Mall in Ridgeland, Mississippi gets fewer visitors than does Mall of America up in Minnesota... so if you divide forty million by the 365 days in a year, does that come out to "millions each day"?

In my head, I'm getting a bit over a hundred thousand each day. But what do I know? I had to perform certain 'acts' as payment to my Math Tutor - multiple times each day, for years and years, just to struggle through three degrees in Economics (okaaay... it was my husband, and I was not exactly suffering from the sacrifice...). Simple division seems to elude me. Can you help me out? Forty million divided by 365? How many millions is that?
You're not funny. You don't live in mississippi. You don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:

And secondly, MetroCenter is making a small comeback, guaranteed you are that the Lower Level is completely vacant, but that's only because of a condo deal that fell through some time ago, so give it time. But the Upper Level has had the most shops it's had up there in YEARS. Still the area may seem "rough" to some, but like Bob Crechale, owner of locally known & locally famous restaurant Crechale's Cafe said, that is just a perception by people
I live here and I had to go to Metro Center to get my water put in my name. I took the time to walk the entire mall. This was a few months ago.

I am a cop and I know the difference between a bad place and a bad perception. Metro Center is a bad place. There is utterly nothing redeeming about it and if not for government tenants, which is often a horrid sign itself, it would be closed.

Listen, Mississippi could be the land of milk and honey, but the Metro Center mall is indefensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson