Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times

Advertisements

The link shows Jackson at 72% scored basically the same as Canton (69%), Clarksdale (69%), and Greenwood (74%).

On the positive side, Madison County was 96% and Rankin County 92%. Biloxi was 92% and Gulfport 90%. There were actually quite a few over 90 and 95%; I think Pearl River County was actually 100%. (Somebody needs to give their leadership a raise...)

Incredibly there actually were three or four lower than Jackson (Hazelhurst 61%, Holmes County 59%, Wilkinson County 57%, and Yazoo City 53%). (Fortunately Yazoo County was 82%, similar to Natchez, Vicksburg and Meridian).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:47 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
The link shows Jackson at 72% scored basically the same as Canton (69%), Clarksdale (69%), and Greenwood (74%).

On the positive side, Madison County was 96% and Rankin County 92%. Biloxi was 92% and Gulfport 90%. There were actually quite a few over 90 and 95%; I think Pearl River County was actually 100%. (Somebody needs to give their leadership a raise...)

Incredibly there actually were three or four lower than Jackson (Hazelhurst 61%, Holmes County 59%, Wilkinson County 57%, and Yazoo City 53%). (Fortunately Yazoo County was 82%, similar to Natchez, Vicksburg and Meridian).
That's what people don't understand, Jackson Public Schools are not the worst of the worst, they don't even really scratch the service of the worst! The entire district as a whole may be 72%, but it's a pretty BIG & WIDE district spanning a lot of miles! What people need to take away from this report is, JPS has some stellar elementary schools with lots of diversity. Canton Public Schools aren't the worst of the worst either, but I'd say the bottom of the barrel, if you will, is Yazoo City Public Schools ... Awful.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Actually yes, it looks like certain schools in Madison County have gotten their test results back up in the latest round of accountability results! Highland Elementary went from a D to a C, Madison Central rose from a B back to an A, and Ridgeland High rose from a C to a B!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,524 times
Yazoo City in their retest went from 53% to 72%.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Yazoo City in their retest went from 53% to 72%.
Well that's great news from them! Still think they shouldn't have rejected the Department of Education's offer to take their district over. You should never deny help in a place where you need it extremely.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Well that's great news from them! Still think they shouldn't have rejected the Department of Education's offer to take their district over. You should never deny help in a place where you need it extremely.
The state didn't formally take over the district (meaning they didn't fire the administrators and teachers) but they did in essence take over the district. They took their accreditation for a year. They put proctors in the school and they are still there.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The state didn't formally take over the district (meaning they didn't fire the administrators and teachers) but they did in essence take over the district. They took their accreditation for a year. They put proctors in the school and they are still there.
Well to my knowledge they were taking over LeFleur County schools at the same time they offered to take over Yazoo City Public, & Yazoo City said they didn't want to be taken over. But, they need a total revamping up there, it's horrible.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Well to my knowledge they were taking over LeFleur County schools at the same time they offered to take over Yazoo City Public, & Yazoo City said they didn't want to be taken over. But, they need a total revamping up there, it's horrible.
I knew the state took over Leflore County but they gave Yazoo County another chance for some reason. Like I said they put state proctors at the elementary schools and high school and those proctors are still there. The guy that was put in charge in overseeing the Leflore Country schools didn't hold any punches and basically told them the teachers along with the administrators would be fired. How many of them evetually got their jobs back I don't know, but some people got all up in arms about it.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I knew the state took over Leflore County but they gave Yazoo County another chance for some reason. Like I said they put state proctors at the elementary schools and high school and those proctors are still there. The guy that was put in charge in overseeing the Leflore Country schools didn't hold any punches and basically told them the teachers along with the administrators would be fired. How many of them evetually got their jobs back I don't know, but some people got all up in arms about it.
Too bad they all didn't get up and arms, when their school district received an F.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,531 times
I didn't think districts had a choice whether or not to be taken over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson