Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 17,429 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just joined this forum for some questions about SE GA. And now that I have perused around, it is extremely helpful, but I have a specific question.

I am in the process of possibly getting a job in the St Simons island area and am seriously investigating a spot to relocate to. I picked living closer to Jax instead of Savannah as my wife is a neo-natal nurse and I read there are 2 nice childrens hospitals in Jax. So...I am thinking about possibly finding a spot to live in between St Simons and Jax. I can commute to SS and she commutes to Jax.

I have two small kids (2 and 1) and obviously want some good schools or reasonable schools. I dont think Jax is where we would pick as I have read (on these forums) that the drive is nasty...so maybe somewhere in between.

Any help you can guys can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
St. Simons is about equally inconvenient from JAX and Savannah. I assume one of the places you were looking at in JAX is Wolfson Children's Hospital. That's about 80 miles from St. Simons. Even if you were looking to live in the middle of the 2 places - you'd be talking 2 major commutes. And with 2 small kids...

Well I'd come up with a better game plan. What kind of job are you looking at in St. Simons that you might be able to duplicate elsewhere? Robyn

Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
One hospital to consider is Southeast Georgia Regional Medical Center in Brunswick.
SouthEast Georgia Health System.

I agree with Robyn55 that any commute for either of you between St. Simons and Jax is not something I'd do especially with young children in the picture -- on top of your work hours, 2+ hours of your days would be spent in the car getting to and from work, and for me that's a lot of time away from home when there may be other options.

But that's just my opinion, my personal preference. Plus I'm going on the premise that you'd both be working full time and that may not be the case for your wife.

I don't know much about the southeast Georgia schools. I know nothing about Brunswick's schools -- the area is beautiful though. St. Marys is about halfway inbetween St. Simons and Jax. It's a great family community and has a brand new elementary school. I don't know about the high school other than it has a fantastic football team (which of course doesn't describe academics :-)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 17,429 times
I didnt realize it was so far away. Definitely dont want us banging out that commute every day. Wife would probably only work 1-2 days a week like she does now.

I work in Supply Chain (Demand Planning, Supply Planning, etc.).

I am going to check out St Mary's and see what it has to offer. I think I have definitely decided to go south of St Simons rather than North. Now its just a matter of WHERE south of SS.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Here are a couple of links about St. Marys and the surrounding area ...

Camden County Georgia--St Marys-Kingsland-Woodbine

Supporting & Promoting Saint Marys Business | St Marys Georgia Downtown Development Authority

Camden County Schools

Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM

5,131 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Shands and Baptist have the Neo-Natal units in Florida and we have experienced Baptist first hand and it is great. Saint Mary's and Kingsland both have developments not to far off of 95 and traffic into Jacksonville can be hectic but both hospitals are right off of 95. The schools in Camden County (Saint Mary's & Kingsland) are considered to be very good. Camden County has a very small town feel to it. Good Luck

Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,420 times
I just moved from St. Mary's overseas, but made the commute from St Marys to Brunswick every day with no problem. The commute from downtown St Mary's to Brunswick is 45 minutes and is the same every day,,,no traffic and all interstate. St Mary's is beautiful and has the best schools in the area. If you are looking for a shorter commute you could live in Kingsland near the interstate in Laurel Island,,,that would knock your commute to Brunswick down to a half hour and about the same to Jax. Also, Osprey Cove in St Mary's is near the interstate and would put you in Brunswick or Jax in a half hour. Osprey Cove is just off exit 1 and Laurel Island just off exit 6 (Brunswick is exit 38,,so you are looking at either 37 or 32 miles of interstate travel). I think either place would suit your needs perfectly.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM

5,131 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Above all, take your time and rent. There is definitely buyers market in this area. Osprey Cove and Laurel Island have quite a few owners that are seriously underwater. You will find the same thing happening just over the border in Fl.

Depending on where you are coming from the commute might nit be to bad. The traffic is no where near driving into Boston, LA or Chicago to compare to. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville