Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 AM

104 posts, read 341,116 times

Advertisements

I may be deaf but I've never really noticed a train so I would not say it's a big problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbohen View Post
I see there is a train track near by, does the noise bother anyone? I only ask because we live close to a train now and the horns are so loud at night and they come thru quite often so I swore that I would never buy a house by a train again. I really like greenleaf but you never really now how the trains will be till you actually live there.
You won't hear any noise from that railroad along US1 if you're in Nocatee. There's plenty of distance between the two places. Sure, maybe a whistle or a faint squeal, but only if the wind is coming from that direction.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM

80 posts, read 220,888 times
I hear it on nights with the windows open. But it's faint and kinda nice.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,422 times
Living in Coastal Oaks on the very eastern end of Nocatee I can hear the train in the distance on most nights as I walk my dogs. You can bet if I can hear it here , that you can hear it on the western end times 10. I actually like train sounds at night, but if you don't , and that is a big deal , I would just drive into Greenleaf at night, park your car and listen.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 AM

28 posts, read 70,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Living in Coastal Oaks on the very eastern end of Nocatee I can hear the train in the distance on most nights as I walk my dogs. You can bet if I can hear it here , that you can hear it on the western end times 10. I actually like train sounds at night, but if you don't , and that is a big deal , I would just drive into Greenleaf at night, park your car and listen.
I'm assuming it's frieght??--how often does it run?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 PM

219 posts, read 510,329 times
Those tracks that run alongside Hwy 1 are odd to me. Sometimes we'll get stopped coming and going by short 4-car trains. Sometimes I'll go a couple weeks without seeing one. My wife has been stopped a couple times by big long, slow moving trains on her way to/from work. If there's a schedule, rhyme or reason to it I couldn't identify it. We aren't close enough to notice the train from our house though.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,843 times
We live in Austtin Park - maybe a little further from the tracks than GV - and I can "feel" the trains coming and can definitely hear them, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Actually, I sort of like it. It's faint enough that it's not going to wake or disturb you and you could easily learn to tune it out if you wanted to.

Seems like they come by a couple times during the evening, but for instance tonight, I haven't heard one, so I haven't been able to figure out a schedule (although I'm sure there is one). One disadvantage is that they do tend to block up the intersections during the day, especially at Race Track Rd and Old St Aug Rd. I was just telling my daughter today that I'm glad we never have to go anywhere that way in a hurry, like work or school, because you could really get held up there for several minutes.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
LOL I guess I was wrong about not being able to hear the train. Maybe my wife is right about my hearing.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM

28 posts, read 70,477 times
Default Feasibility Study on NE Florida Commuter Rail

Apparently there was a feasibility study done in 2005 (
http://www.jtafla.com/JTAFuturePlans/Media/PDF/JTA%20-%20NE%20Florida%20Commuter%20Rail%20Feasibility%20 Study%20-%20FINAL%20Report%20(July%202009).pdf) by the Jacksonville Transportation Authority for a commuter rail. Has anyone heard/read anything about this recently?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM

19 posts, read 43,053 times
My husband and I are strongly leaning towards building in Greenleaf Village. For those who currently
live in this neighborhood, are you happy there? It seems to be growing at a very fast pace. We are looking at building the first model home with Mattamy. How are they as builders? We are 25 and are hoping to start our family when we move there. We are actually first on the list to choose our lot with Mattamy in the new 2b phase in July. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville