Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM

134 posts, read 329,704 times

Advertisements

Sorry but you people saying "It happens everywhere" are a little off base. I do actually read various news sites for other areas (mostly within FL) and also read other cities forums on this board and other boards. The violence in Jacksonville, mostly the Northside of course, is far worse than I read in any other place in FL. Yea when you compare Jax to places in Detroit, NJ, Philly, LA, it's probably not as bad, but for us FL residents, yea it's pretty bad. Not only is the crime more rampant here, the problem is VIOLENT CRIME. I read far more instances of violent crimes on any one of our three lovely Jax news sites (jacksonville.com,firstcoastnews.com, news4jax.com) than I do on for instance Orlandosentinel.com, news sites for Melbourne, Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Tampa, etc etc. Every single day on our news sites, murder, murder, murder and oh, more murder or shootings. I have FCN on my Facebook because they break news quickly on there and also traffic alerts are very helpful. I think for the past week or two straight, nothing but murders and shootings lining up the feeds, multiple different stories of the same such stuff.

I've lived in NE FL for over 17 years. I'm also a very news-minded person and I have never seen violent crime as rampant anywhere in FL as it is in Jax. Granted it's mostly relegated to the Northside, but in general Jax is pretty bad with violent crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:14 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
You'd better take a look at the Cable tv show, 48 Hours! A lot of that show takes place in Miami where there is a lot of crime/murders. Actually, that show could make Jax look tame, compared to Miami!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
Sorry but you people saying "It happens everywhere" are a little off base. I do actually read various news sites for other areas (mostly within FL) and also read other cities forums on this board and other boards. The violence in Jacksonville, mostly the Northside of course, is far worse than I read in any other place in FL. Yea when you compare Jax to places in Detroit, NJ, Philly, LA, it's probably not as bad, but for us FL residents, yea it's pretty bad. Not only is the crime more rampant here, the problem is VIOLENT CRIME. I read far more instances of violent crimes on any one of our three lovely Jax news sites (jacksonville.com,firstcoastnews.com, news4jax.com) than I do on for instance Orlandosentinel.com, news sites for Melbourne, Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Tampa, etc etc. Every single day on our news sites, murder, murder, murder and oh, more murder or shootings. I have FCN on my Facebook because they break news quickly on there and also traffic alerts are very helpful. I think for the past week or two straight, nothing but murders and shootings lining up the feeds, multiple different stories of the same such stuff.

I've lived in NE FL for over 17 years. I'm also a very news-minded person and I have never seen violent crime as rampant anywhere in FL as it is in Jax. Granted it's mostly relegated to the Northside, but in general Jax is pretty bad with violent crimes.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM

24 posts, read 52,722 times
I think the news you get when you don't actually live in the city is different than the local news....i.e. when I lived in Tampa and Melbourne, I didn't get much news on Jax, even when I looked for it....however, I heard plenty from the local news in Tampa about all of the murders, drug houses, etc, and same when I lived in Melbourne, same when I lived in Kansas City, and I just got back to Jax from Michigan, and all I heard about was Flint being the murder capital of not just Michigan, but of the entire country. I didn't live in Flint, but about an hour or so North, but it was still considered "local" news.

I think when it's your town that you live in, we can be a little more sensitive about it. Because we don't know how to fix it.... and me? I stay away from the Northside, that's how I fix it.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houdinis mom View Post
I'm just trying to say, it is what you make of it. If you are always watching the news, that's all you are going to hear, is about the murders, abductions, etc. Get out, go to the beach, go to the Towne Center, or go down to Riverside to the shops there, or to the Landing and you won't have time to watch that crap!
Well-said!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post

Sounds to me you're looking for crime. Look hard enough and you'll find it. These sites you're looking at are designed to report things people will read/watch. Well, people don't care about someone doing a fund raiser for a local charity but they will read (and talk about) a shooting or a robbery.

I'm telling you, Jacksonville crime is no worse than anywhere else and MUCH better than many others.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

278 posts, read 664,658 times
Here are some crime rate stats, circa 2009:

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jax is more dangerous than many. It's 31 or 32 on a list of 76 or so. Just about in the middle. As far as Florida, Jax has a higher crime rate than Tampa but lower than Miami. Orlando doesn't seem to be on the list which probably means crime is worse here than there.

Just an FYI. I've directly encountered violent crime a few times here in Jax. I don't feel unsafe in my home or downtown or anything but crime is an issue here.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,565,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
Now that I've been up here for a week, my opinion of this place is in the gutter. The shootings this week don't help either; it makes me wary to go out anywhere other than the beach or the general UNF area. I'm trying to like it, but the kids here at UNF are very immature, not so intelligent, and a lot of them are pretty unapproachable. I like to think of myself as pretty mature for 19, and I just can't stomach the immaturity of some of these people. I've always found it somewhat difficult to make friends past the superficial level and most of these people aren't the type of friends I would want to have anyway. I'm getting pretty discouraged with this place in general. I know I'm only in my second week, but all of my friends other schools are having plenty of fun. I feel trapped to say the least. Anyone have any ideas that could remedy my situation? Thanks.
Hang in there man...your just new. Its good you had high expectations of Jacksonville & UNF, but you may have to be a little more patient or find a girl who likes you.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
Here are some crime rate stats, circa 2009:

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jax is more dangerous than many. It's 31 or 32 on a list of 76 or so. Just about in the middle. As far as Florida, Jax has a higher crime rate than Tampa but lower than Miami. Orlando doesn't seem to be on the list which probably means crime is worse here than there.
I don't really care where we rank in crime. As I've said, that doesn't concern me. If I'm seeing people being beaten up, shot, stabbed, houses broken into, etc. all of the time, then I'll care and move. That just isn't the case here. Is it perfect? Not any more perfect than any other large city with urban areas. But this kind of information means nothing when taken with no context to place it in.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
Now that I've been up here for a week, my opinion of this place is in the gutter. The shootings this week don't help either; it makes me wary to go out anywhere other than the beach or the general UNF area. I'm trying to like it, but the kids here at UNF are very immature, not so intelligent, and a lot of them are pretty unapproachable. I like to think of myself as pretty mature for 19, and I just can't stomach the immaturity of some of these people. I've always found it somewhat difficult to make friends past the superficial level and most of these people aren't the type of friends I would want to have anyway. I'm getting pretty discouraged with this place in general. I know I'm only in my second week, but all of my friends other schools are having plenty of fun. I feel trapped to say the least. Anyone have any ideas that could remedy my situation? Thanks.
Try to transfer to UCF or FAU sometime soon. Jacksonville sucks. There is NOTHING going on there.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Try to transfer to UCF or FAU sometime soon. Jacksonville sucks. There is NOTHING going on there.
UNF is better than UCF and FAU. And you're VERY ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville