Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post

If you are not happy with the nightlife and concerts in Orlando, you will probably not like it here.
But it does depend on the genre of music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
But it does depend on the genre of music.
That's for damn sure, I can't remember the last time a good Zydeco band came through here.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Jacksonville has decent nightlife. It's about on-par with it's raking of the 40th largest city in the US. But, unlike most cities, Jax is very spread out and sprawling, so there are only a few concentrated pockets of entertainment/nightlife. Downtown has a bunch of venues (and much, much more if you count the neighborhoods surrinding downtown), the Beaches have a bunch of venues, and some people think the mall off Gateparkway is considered a venue too.

Search around City-Data for a bit and you'll find MANY links and websites that i've provided to...jeez...I don't know, 50 different nightlife venues that attract young professionals.

Comparing to Orlando, Jax's nightlife will be more spread out, and doesn't have a central district that compares to Orlando's.

But, of course, there are hundreds of thousands of young people in Jax, we sare the ypungest major city in Florida, in fact, and they do have a good time. : )

If you're looking for something in particular or specific info, let me know. I don't mind re-posting links, websites, info, etc.
what do you mean youngest major city? I thought JAX had a rep for having mostly old folks

Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 AM

147 posts, read 286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
what do you mean youngest major city? I thought JAX had a rep for having mostly old folks
Jacksonville to me seems to be on the young side, compared to most cities in Florida where it seems like most old folks are dieing to retire to (Elephant graveyard comes to mind) Jacksonville is fairly young. According to the last census the median age is 34, hardly an adolescent but a long way from a geriatric patient.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 AM

147 posts, read 286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
the Beaches have a bunch of venues, and some people think the mall off Gateparkway is considered a venue too.
The mall off Gateparkway?
LMAO at the fact that fsu318 just cant bring himself to say/type "The St. John's Town Center" as if by ignoring it, it will cease to exist and go away.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notSilverman View Post
The mall off Gateparkway?
LMAO at the fact that fsu318 just cant bring himself to say/type "The St. John's Town Center" as if by ignoring it, it will cease to exist and go away.
I think it is to hard to swallow for him. He is right though, all across America the suburbs are giving way to the urban downtowns. Here in Jacksonville the suburbs continue to flourish beyond belief. The south side really has it happening. SJTC is becoming like one of those Disney like entertainment zones. It used to be people mentioned the Landing when they talk about things to do in Jacksonville, now all I hear is, have you been to the SJTC?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Very true! About the only time the Landing is mentioned by anyone, including the media, is for the 4th of July, Christmas Boat Parade/Fireworks and for the New Years Eve Fireworks. Other than that..........?
As far as the SJTC, we've drove thru there on a Saturday evening and parking lots were packed with cars! Looks like one BIG "party" area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I think it is to hard to swallow for him. He is right though, all across America the suburbs are giving way to the urban downtowns. Here in Jacksonville the suburbs continue to flourish beyond belief. The south side really has it happening. SJTC is becoming like one of those Disney like entertainment zones. It used to be people mentioned the Landing when they talk about things to do in Jacksonville, now all I hear is, have you been to the SJTC?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM

278 posts, read 664,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Been here my whole life, and the Landing has been trumpeted as "the place to be" ever since it opened. Nobody I know has ever considered it to be a happening place. The coolest part of the Landing was the arcade, and that's long gone. Now it's more of a gathering spot for drunks on fireworks night and Florida-Georgia weekend.

Jax will always be suburb-centric. People moving here aren't looking for an urban area, they're looking for a cheap place to live and a decent place to raise their families. I work with people who travel into the office from far-off cities (Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, etc) and while they appreciate the weather and the beach, none of them are impressed with the city overall (one guy from St Louis told me yesterday how depressing our Zoo was).

Major acts do tend to pass Jax. Even mid-level acts pass Jacksonville up for Orlando. My wife and I have had to drive two or three hours to see some band on more than one occasion.

If anybody has ever lived in a small town, I liken the "Bay St Entertainment District" to living in a small town in, say, Texas, where everybody hangs out at the Dairy Queen. That DQ is a hot spot to the locals - but bring somebody in from out of town, and they'll be confused trying to figure out what the big deal is.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
Jax will always be suburb-centric. People moving here aren't looking for an urban area, they're looking for a cheap place to live and a decent place to raise their families.
I disagree with this part of your post. I think things are coming around slowly, if for no other reason than necessity. The suburb-centric mindset is killi ng our city's finances, and eventually for all things to balance out we'd either have to become much more dense overall as a city or get a lot smaller. It's not that it's a given and will happen automatically, but I think we will see the areas of town that are predisposed to density continue to grow. New sprawl is simply not sustainable anymore. Anyway, it's either that or we eventually start hemorrhaging population like Detroit as QOL becomes too costly.

As for concerts, it definitely depends on the act and genre. Most will bypass Jax in favor of larger cities to the south. The presenters in Jax know they must choose carefully too because there isn't enough demand to sell every good show that comes their way.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:22 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
but I think we will see the areas of town that are predisposed to density continue to grow. .
What area's of town do you feel are predisposed to density actually?
Not debating just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville