Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 9,906 times

Advertisements

wow, what a great thread.....how many of you remember the Christmas Holiday window at Kuhn Flowers on Beach Blvd? If you do have fond memories of this Jacksonville tradition, you'll be pleased to know that it lives on...my family purchased the business a few years back (a few times down the line from the original owners, Bob and Nancy Kuhn), and this is the 60th year that Kuhn Flowers has been doing business in Jacksonville....we still use the animated, life sized Santa and Mrs Claus and Rudolph that were built by another historic Jacksonville based business -- Sally Industries....they built the figures for the Hall of Presidents at Disneyworld...the mechanics/engineers over there say that the Claus' and Rudolph and some of thier most favorite creations, and love the fact that they remain in Jacksonville......it's something we love doing every year, and hope that if you're in town for the holidays, stop by the shop on Beach Blvd and feel like a kid again.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 88,561 times
Kuhn's Florist has always had such a great display. I couldn't resist but take my wife and kids to see it for the first time last week. We must have stayed there for half an hour looking at all the detail. Thanks for continuing the tradition.

We went down to see the boat parade the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the fireworks display (although short) was really great. I especially liked the cascades off the bridges. Pretty darn cool.

I had left before they made the Riverwalk so it was all new to me. It was great sitting down next to the fountain and talking to all the people sitting around us.

I especially liked the sailboat with the big American flag in the rigging. Kinda got me choked up thinking about how lucky we are and put the exclamation point on the holiday that we give thanks at.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinjax View Post
wow, what a great thread.....how many of you remember the Christmas Holiday window at Kuhn Flowers on Beach Blvd? If you do have fond memories of this Jacksonville tradition, you'll be pleased to know that it lives on...my family purchased the business a few years back (a few times down the line from the original owners, Bob and Nancy Kuhn), and this is the 60th year that Kuhn Flowers has been doing business in Jacksonville....we still use the animated, life sized Santa and Mrs Claus and Rudolph that were built by another historic Jacksonville based business -- Sally Industries....they built the figures for the Hall of Presidents at Disneyworld...the mechanics/engineers over there say that the Claus' and Rudolph and some of thier most favorite creations, and love the fact that they remain in Jacksonville......it's something we love doing every year, and hope that if you're in town for the holidays, stop by the shop on Beach Blvd and feel like a kid again.....
My son and I went by there tonight. I was planning to get a pix for CD, but cars were parked in front of the windows. It's beautiful and going to see it is a neat tradition to start with your kids.

In addition to the most beautiful floral arrangements in town, Kuhn's supports local charities (provided the centerpieces for Hubbard House breakfast in October).

Kuhn's is a Jacksonville landmark.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:08 AM

5 posts, read 38,527 times
Hello --I am a 1986 Sandalwood Graduate. Oh how things have changed Here ! The Old Winn Dixie at St Johns Bluff Rd and Beach is now a Gold's Gym !! and a New WinnDixie sits closer to the corner Right behind MacDonalds ! The Former Mid-way theater is Now a Super Wal-Mart !! ALL of the older places along beach blvd are gone except for a few. The most noticible changes are the woods GONE around Beach and Hodges Blvd !! A Super Target on the Southeast corner and Yet another Super Walmart on the Southwest corner !! I took a ride to jax beach and it looks like Miami now (no exaggerations) Highrises EVERYWHERE !! they demolished ALL the old motels and made LUXERY HIGHRISES ! I was shocked !! They turned the Eienstein a GO GO area into a Posh area also and Peelers Bar is something upscale now. The old Biker Bar a short walk North of the old Peelers is like a HIGH Class Real Estate Place I think (or something else). But my drive along the Beach left My Jaw hanging WIDE OPEN !! I thought I ended up in Miami or Malibu. It is wierd though as the condos are highrises with mega prices and homeless people still wander about pan handeling. And Get this --They built the Berkman Plaza Downtown with a view of the Police Department and Jail. Nice Job There ! Maybe all the Lawyers might wanna be close to work. I would not want to pay anything to live right across the street from the city Jail ! Most of Arlington Area is sad now! I told my family when You ride through jax it is Happy Sad Happy Sad (Literally) It is extremely nice and un affordable to most or demolished and gone forever or sitting there waiting for demolition. Probably like this everywhere else. This is My Honest impression.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:32 PM

81 posts, read 324,412 times
As late as about 1989 you could drive to the beach and go cruising up and down 1st street, from Beach Blvd. way north to the Holiday Inn area. It was great. Hundreds of people were out walking, chatting with the drivers, playing music. You got a real sense of belonging somewhere, even if you were a townie just crashing the party. Then, the "grown-ups" closed off a bunch of streets to kill it off.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Talking The Bulls and more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
OK, it appears I am the only one having fun with this, but what the heck!

Here's one more from the history books...the United States Football League's Jacksonville Bulls!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/d/d9/JacksonvilleBulls.png (broken link)

And the Tea Men??

Or even harder to remember, the Jacksonville Barons ice hokey team, who were only around for a few seasons (72-74??).

Cheers! M2
Yep I remember them. My husband used to work for the Bulls. What a great time.
Does anyone remember Pattys (sp) Restaurant, the Embers rotating restaurant, May Cohens (or Cohens Brothers before it was a May company), Bolens, Lesters shoe store, Boyers Bakery, Grace Chapel dances...I could go on forever.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminAtlanta View Post
Wow- I just found this board and feel like I have another thing to be grateful for this Thanksgiving. I was born and raised in Jacksonville and have been combing the net for places to find out info. about the Jax. I remember. Thanksgiving takes me back to Christmas time and visiting Santa at the old May-Cohen's downtown. When I found this thread and began to read, I felt as if I was transported to 1960-61. Does anyone remember visiting Santa at the May-Cohen's- I believe he was on the second floor just as you came up the elevator.

The restaurant there was terrific. A special place to eat with your friends when you were shopping and I always loved it when my mom would take me there on a Saturday afternoon. May-Cohen use to have a wonderful Christmas window from Santa's workshop complete with animated characters-Mrs. Claus was stirring fudge in a big pot. I also loved the downtown Furchgott's and the Rosenbloom's across the street.

We lived in Arlinngton and I graduated from Terry Parker in 1972- I remember when Regency Mall was built and was a wonderful place to shop!

Happy Holidays to everyone
We always went to see the Santa at Cohens, I got my wedding dress at Furchgotts and I seem to remember a Morrison's right across from Cohens. I graduated from Wolfson class of 73.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Wow, I haven’t been back here for a while but I am glad this thread is still active!

I am a 1981 Sandalwood graduate, and left later that year for the USAF. I have been back to Jax on numerous occasions but never for long. I actually worked for WD in my teenage years, can’t say I am a big fan of that company anymore. I also remember the Midway Drive-In over on Beach, saw a couple of movies there when I was in high school. It’s a shame it’s gone, but drive-ins are a dying breed. Einstein-a-go-go is a name I haven’t heard of in years! Big back when punk/new wave was rampant. And I haven’t thought of Annie Tiques or Nichol's Alley in a long time!

I used to work at Mr Dunderbak’s, the German deli and restaurant, at the east end of the mall back when you could see from one end Regency to the other and the movie theater was behind the Burger King on Monument. And I remember the Nutri-Gro dumping in the dunes, long before any roads went back there. We used to ride our dirt bikes all over the place, back when you can ride up and down the power line trails without a problem. Many areas that were swamps are now drained and have become housing developments. That concerns me as you can’t mess with the natural state of things too much before it comes back to bite you! Same holds true for those highrises along the Intercoastal Waterway off of Atlantic Blvd.

I don’t get back much anymore, I now live in San Antonio, Texas and only have my mother left in Jax. I was back for my 20th high school reunion back in 2001 and saw a lot of old friends, many of which haven’t changed much since we graduated. I guess we’ll go back in 2008 if there is a reunion, but the mere thought of it being 30 years since we graduated from high school scares me! Could I really be that old!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,681 times
Default Jax Beach

I lived in Jax Beach in the late 70's while stationed in the Navy at Mayport. I used to go out with a girl who graduated from Sandlewood around 74 by the name of Brenda Pallante. I remember that the big hangout on the Beach for Sailors were the Bars and the nicest one that I remember was the Seclusion Lounge. I have often thought of visiting Jacksonville as I have been gone since 79 and I am sure that everything has changed and all of the bars are gone like most things times and attitude changes many things even cities. Since I have retired and now live in Texas I will probably get more serious about visiting places that I enjoyed so much and Jax Beach was one of the best.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM

10 posts, read 43,534 times
Southside Blvd was Blackjack Ridge Rd, ended at Old Baymeadows
FCCJ-Deerwood was the Grande Blvd Mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville