Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,540 times

Advertisements

The Jewelry store in the Expressway mall was Elias Jewelry.
Love this forum.....found by accident.....read a lot of it so I can't go back and respond to the people asking.
Thanks for the memories. There is a Facebook "I grew up in arlington" you might like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,540 times
Your post says a lot about you Stephen. Thanks for sharing....... :-)

Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,530,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Nice thread !

Yes, the Alhambra Theatre is still there, right on Beach Blvd . Beach Blvd is changing big-time - remember when it was all woods going to the beach? No longer !

There's a new pier now at the beach....hopefully this one won't blow away .

New baseball grounds for the Suns too and a new Veteran's Memorial arena (I've only seen one concert there so far, but the acoustics were amazing!).

The Better Jacksonville Plan really came into its' own in the early 2000's with a lot of city improvements and it's still going on today.

!
I like it.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
Does anyone remember Aktinson's Drug Store (home of the famous Cherry Smash) at the intersection of Cesery and Merrill (where the old Winn Dixie used to be). The name of the dedicated ice cream parlor at Town and Country Shopping Center would be appreciated! Also, where was the original Arlington Dairy Queen located (Merrill or University Blvd) and was A & W Drive-in on Arlington Road? Still missing Ranger Hal...

Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmacman View Post
Yes all of Arlington has become the "hood". Hourly motels along the expressway with real live hookers and everything associated with that. Arlington began to change when the city bulldozed Blodget Homes in downtown Jax. The city relocated those people to east of the river in Arlington, so all of the apartments along the expressway became low income and HUD housing. Aside from going away to college, I've lived in Arlington for most of my life so I know firsthand what has happened to the neighborhoods that used to be very nice. You don't dare venture into Regency Square at night - not much shopping being done there anyway as they have a very high vacancy rate and had to declare bankruptcy not too long ago. For major holidays, New Years, 4th of July, etc., it's not unusual to hear gunfire punctuating the celebrating. I've found spent shells on my curb. Very sad what has happened to the area.
wow. I lived in Jax from '83 to '86, and Regency mall was THE PLACE to be.

Of course Im a fan of more urban places in general, and if when I was there downtown and Springfield had been better, and Arlington worse, I probably would have been happier. BTW are orgs like the Springfield restoran society still around? There was also one for Riverside-avondale, and for San marco.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM

24 posts, read 27,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinaRdElemClassof1966 View Post
Does anyone remember Aktinson's Drug Store (home of the famous Cherry Smash) at the intersection of Cesery and Merrill (where the old Winn Dixie used to be). The name of the dedicated ice cream parlor at Town and Country Shopping Center would be appreciated! Also, where was the original Arlington Dairy Queen located (Merrill or University Blvd) and was A & W Drive-in on Arlington Road? Still missing Ranger Hal...
I remember going to Dairy Queen on Merrill Road! I also remember Lum's on corner of the shopping center on Arlington Expressway. What's more, I was just telling someone today that as a kid my siblings and I used to go to the movies at a theater in that shopping center. Does this make us old or nostalgic?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,358 times
Yep, I found it doing a search for Milligan's Hamburgers. So glad I stumbled across it. The posts have brought back a LOT of memories.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,358 times
Lum's hotdogs, yeah! I'd forgotten about that place. They boiled the dogs in beer if I remember right. I know all the alcohol gets cooked out but that was a big deal for a little kid to eat beer dogs :-)

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM

838 posts, read 1,877,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTies n SweetTea View Post
Does this make us old or nostalgic?
Yes.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Sorry M2, But we are a tad slow around here! Your memory idsphenomenal! I grew up in Arlington and hung out at the Sheik , Krystal , Lums and Biff Burger! My Dad made us sit in the car for 2 hours when the first Wendy's opened near Regency Square and lines were around the block!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville