Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 13,152 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Ramada Inn on jax beach? Was there in 1976 working on the USS Adams at Mayport. Or has my memory finally failed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 01:12 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabercrombie View Post
Yes, Maurice Samples was Mouse and is a worship leader now I think. Hawthorns was the BEST!! We would have a "Triple Threat" coconut,pineapple and orange juice, while waiting for the city bus just outside the little juice bar.
We had an old cassette tape of Mouse and the Boys back in the 70s. I attended Vineyard in the late 80s and I think Maurice is still there.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,152 times
Does anyone remember the lounge at the Ramada on beach? Was there working on the USS ADAMS at Mayport, June 1976. Loved the lounge, lots of good music and dancing, met a wonderful girl named Joan, had a blast, had to leave and never made it back, never stopped thinking of my time in Jax.

Old 12-24-2021, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,617 times
Cool Accuracy

Just to set the record straight, Joe Curry neither built the Mandarin Super Market nor had anything to do with the little train. He bought the Mandarin Super Market and the train was long gone by the time the super market was built. I believe he did work for the Flynns at Mandarin Super Market prior to purchasing it.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,682 times
I lived in Orange Park in the late 70's. What was the name of the restaurant that had cars as tables?

Old 01-01-2022, 07:38 AM

The restaurant was not in Orange Park. I believe it was on Baymeadows Road.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:02 PM

662 posts, read 868,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrew View Post
I lived in Orange Park in the late 70's. What was the name of the restaurant that had cars as tables?
Maybe T birds or 57 heaven? both were more like lounges but taking a guess.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:15 PM

It was neither of those. I remember a car, a fire truck, and a taxi, and they were made into tables.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,132 times
Cool Namedropping, or maybe Placedropping?

I had no idea how many functioning synapses and neurons I possessed until I found this thread!

My family moved to Jax in the spring of 1973 when I was 11; I went to 7th grade at Central Baptist Christian School, which was originally in San Marco but partway through the year moved to the former Jewish temple in Riverside, followed by Southside when it was still a Jr. High (9th grade was the year the band director Mr. James Brooks was shot near Friendship Park). I went on to become a 1979 graduate of Englewood and a 1982 grad of J.U. before fleeing Jax for grad school at Va. Tech. I often returned for visits, then spent most of 2014-18 on the Southside "doing" for my parents as they faded and passed - Dad of cancer and stroke in 2015, Mother of Alzheimer's in 2018.

The stage now set, places and folks I remember, some of whom/which have been mentioned already:

Patti's Restaurant, the sparkler pizzas, the shot of dessert wine, THE SALAD DRESSING

Famous Amos - my parents attended the same church as Edna Moise

Luigi's - University Blvd. across from Pic'N'Save

While I'm at it, Pic'N'Save!

Jimmy's Chicken

Par 3 Golf on Beach - I took lessons from Walt Leino in the late 70's

Uncle John's Pancake House

Valle's Steakhouse

Jack In The Box's failed location at University and Spring Park that's now "Ying's Chinee Takee Outee" - it was JITB when I was a senior at Englewood and those horrid tacos comprised many of my drive-thru lunches!

Krystal at University and Barnes

Mr Dunderbak's at Regency

Skaggs-Albertson's at University and Old St Augustine that was open 24 hours and was the perfect place to purchase a plethora of cheeeeeeeeap toilet paper for TP'ing someone's house

Radio DJ Mike Areford graduated from Englewood the year before me, and was affectionately known to some as "The Toe" because of his placekicking accuracy

Standard Sales

Gazebo Drafthouse on Ft Caroline - saw "Raging Bull" here

Plaza Theater, Philips Mall - saw "Star Wars" during opening week in 1977

The Children's Museum - Englewood's "Senior Superlatives" for the class of '79 had all of their pics taken in and around the Museum and the Fountain

Sears downtown

Front-row seats at the Civic Auditorium for Chuck Mangione on the "Children of Sanchez" tour

Kansas, Doobie Brothers, Eddie Rabbitt at the Coliseum

I was part of the halftime show at the 1978 Gator Bowl (in the Duval County Honor Marching Band) and was about 55 yards down the Ohio State sideline when Charlie Bauman met the ol' Woodster

Midway Drive-In

Putt-Putt on Beach just east of Parental Home

Goony Golf!

Parson's, at most of their locations

Daryl's 1872

Dr. Frances Bartlett Kinne - I went to J.U. on a "President's Scholarship" and entered there as she was named President. Every time I ran into her on campus she'd ask me very detailed queries about my classes while making me the center of her entire universe ... at least, for those few moments.

Speaking of J.U., I graduated alongside noted TED talker and former talk-show host Dr. Bertice Berry

University & Philips before the overpass

That's enough for right now.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:58 PM

What kind of restaurant was Darryl’s 1872?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville