Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM

336 posts, read 450,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
It is well known there is a general feeling throughout the league that Tebow is a long shot. That he's not good and is not going to make it as an NFL quarterback. However, that feeling was also in place before he went to Denver and managed to quarterback the team into the playoffs and even won a playoff game. He may not have lit up the scoreboard, but he did enough through running and passing and not turning the ball over to win the games. This while he was still a very young NFL quarterback.

So now, with the so called experts betting against him again I say all that just fuels a guy of his moral character and makes him more determined than ever. Not only that, but football experts have been wrong before. Michigan QB, Tom Brady was selected in the 6th round of the 2000 NFL draft, 199th overall. 31 teams passed on Brady at least 5 times. I wouldn't even think about betting against Tebow. Most people love to cheer for an underdog and I am no different. I would cheer him if he is able to prove the experts wrong again. Especially if he's a Jaguar when he does it.

Nice sentiment, but if the Jaguars are ever going to dig themselves out of the hole that they're in, they will need to think with their heads, and not their hearts. We're going to need a quarterback who's better than Tebow, better than Gabbett, and better than Henne. None of those guys are the answer. Bringing in Tebow, whether he makes it with the Jaguars or not, will just prolong the inevitable.

Yes, I know. Tebow is a nice guy. But, the unemployment line is full of nice guys.

You say that you wouldn't bet against him. Is that really true? What if I said you would win $10,000 if you could correctly guess whether or not Tebow would ever be a successful NFL quarterback? I'm betting that the overwhelming majority of Tebow supporters, you included, would suddenly decide that maybe he wasn't so good after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
You say that you wouldn't bet against him. Is that really true? What if I said you would win $10,000 if you could correctly guess whether or not Tebow would ever be a successful NFL quarterback? I'm betting that the overwhelming majority of Tebow supporters, you included, would suddenly decide that maybe he wasn't so good after all.
I'd win because I'd bet on him being successful at some point. Due to the fact that he already, in his first year as a starter, quarterbacked the Broncos, a 1–4 team to win their first AFC West title and first playoff win since 2005. He's already achieved success! Pay up, dude!!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I'd win because I'd bet on him being successful at some point. Due to the fact that he already, in his first year as a starter, quarterbacked the Broncos, a 1–4 team to win their first AFC West title and first playoff win since 2005. He's already achieved success! Pay up, dude!!

Ever heard of a defense? If Tebow had anything to do with the Bronco's 'success' last year, he wouldn't have been dumped to the Jets, and wouldn't soon be dumped by the Jets too.

He can tell everyone about how successful he was in Denver, while he's waiting in line, to pick up his unemployment check.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Strange comment considering he got Denver into the Play Offs as a starter there.

He can play in the NFL if he isn't used as a circus attraction as he was in NY.
He did not get Denver into the playoffs, the Denver defense did.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM

511 posts, read 491,621 times
Sitting here watching the Jags/Titans game.
Titans have scored 21 points on a pick six and two kick returns for TDs.
I went to all the home games this year and 2 of the away games.

After sitting through all that...it's my humble opinion that signing Tebow or not signing Tebow will make no difference by itself. The Jags have so many needs in addition to a good QB.

The problem is there is no decent QB prospect in this year's draft....not one.
There's not much talent coming available in FA either.
The QB issue won't be resolved in the next couple years.
The Jags won't be contenders for the next couple years.

There is good news though:
There is a really good receiver corp nucleus being put together. Blackmon is starting to show real skills, Shorts has proven he can play, Lewis is getting much better at TE and will continue to develop and Shipley is a good possession receiver in the Wes Welker (no...he's not there yet) mold.
Hopefully Mojo will come back healthy.
The defense has a couple bright spots (Poz and Babin) and Branch will come around.

The real bad news is the O line totally sucks, the defensive backfield is totally inept and the D line still has too many holes.

I think the Jags should go ahead and sign Tebow and tell him he has two years to prove himself.
During that time draft, and aquire through FA, defensive studs and build a defense like the Bucs and Ravens had earlier this decade.
After two years, if Tebow proves himself...he's your guy.
If not...cut him and draft (hopefully you'll find him) your QB of the future. The nucleus of your team will still be young and as proven by Luck and RG3...the right guy can come out and be productive right away.

I think you can tall all day about building around a good QB...but there just aren't any out there who are available.

Man...I wish I had a gazillion dollars so I could have bought the Jags and proven my theory...haha

Oh well...just have to pretend I have all the answers like everyone else on this site. LMFAO

Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
if Tebow comes to JAX and fails will people blame him or everyone else?? I'd still rather the Jags run at Alex Smith or Matt Flynn

Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM

511 posts, read 491,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
if Tebow comes to JAX and fails will people blame him or everyone else?? I'd still rather the Jags run at Alex Smith or Matt Flynn
My fear with that is how many high draft picks would have to be given.
We need picks...and lots of 'em!!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
He did not get Denver into the playoffs, the Denver defense did.

Of course. Their defense probably deserved about 80% of the credit for the Bronco's success last year.

But, it's too hard for many of the Gator fans, and home town Tebow lovers to be able to objectively look at things.

I think too many of them are still thinking back to his days with the Gators, or with Nease High.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post

Yes, they'd both be better options than Tebow. Maybe not perfect, but certainly better.

If we brought in Tebow, he would surely fail. Once that happens, it is my opinion that 80% of the town would blame the failure on the coaches, the GM, the owner, the defense, the special teams....

Anything to keep from blaming Tebow.

Bringing in Tebow would only end up setting back any chance the Jags have of recovery, by another two years, and would totally kill the development of our promising young group of receivers.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
My fear with that is how many high draft picks would have to be given.
We need picks...and lots of 'em!!!!

I don't know. It depends on their contracts, and how they are written.

I know Flynn got paid a mint by Seattle. Maybe with the success of Wilson, they will figure if some other team is willing to simply take on most of Flynn's salary, it would be in their best interest to let him go for next to nothing.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the Jags are, at going after one of the available QB's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville