Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Just something to keep in mind: Don't listen to all the hype about Jacksonville on these forums. Although I just moved, I had lived in Jax, in various neighborhoods, since 1997; I am, therefore, well acquainted (unfortunately) with the place and its people. If you go by what you read here, you'll soon believe Jacksonville is an inclusive, liberal place with a low crime rate, a well-educated population, a plethora of young professionals, lots of cultural outlets, and a booming economy yielding plenty of high-paying jobs. Take it from me, if you hear anything like that, it's a gross misrepresentation of Jax. Jacksonville is merely a larger version of Montgomery, AL. Generally, that's the mentality of the vast majority of the people here.

We is a bunch if ignerant racist redneck homofobes and if you are a g-d yankee just go back to New York City!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM

195 posts, read 322,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
We is a bunch if ignerant racist redneck homofobes and if you are a g-d yankee just go back to New York City!!!
LOL well said! But isn't that supposed to be "Nu Yawk Sidy"

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM

654 posts, read 945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I know you're being facetious. However, you're also accurately describing the vast majority of the city's population, whether you want to admit it or not. Not all, of course, but most Jacksonville residents (at least the natives or those from the surrounding countryside) fit your sad description. This is, after all, the "Bible Belt," the conservative Deep South.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 AM

17 posts, read 28,915 times
Thanks to all for the replies. I lived in Montgomery for a few years. It was pretty redneck all right (I can say that, born and raised in Alabama. Been run off the road for sporting an Obama sticker - by my brother. Very qualified.). I have heard a lot on this forum about the progressive nature of Jville and that is what attracted me initially. Now I do have my doubts...

Checking CL it seems like reasonable rent and at least some jobs in the field. St. A is a little higher than I can afford it looks like, but living in Jville its less than an hour away. I would love to consider further south (Hell, even the keys - who wouldnt?) but the further down you go the higher the cost of living becomes and while unemployed it seems unwise to locate in an area with higher COL in case I wind up working at Mickey Ds or something (Please, FSM, say it aint so!).

My bigger motivation is that at almost 50 I would love for this to me my last major move and if this is going to be where I wind up, then by FSM I am going to be as close as I can to a beach. Love the beach. It... completes...me.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Jacksonville is certainly conservative, no one can doubt that. Whether or not you find that a deal breaker is simply up to you. I don't mind it since I'm moderate. You just have to roll your eyes or chuckle sometimes.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM

410 posts, read 602,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Jacksonville is certainly conservative
NE Florida is so Red on the electoral maps it could almost be purple.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Full disclosure: I myself am a gay white male in my 30s who happens to be a political progressive. Jacksonville, I regret to say, had been anything but welcoming. I experienced more homophobia and "damn Yankee" nonsense than I care to remember while living in the city that's nothing more than suburban sprawl (which is what Jacksonville basically is). I lived in Jax for over a decade due to job and family obligations, but fortunately was able to escape back to the Northeast.
Well as a person with a ton of gay male friends I can assure you it's not just conservatives in Jax who are homophobic. As a pet sitter I see it all and the biggest homophobes were people you'd call liberal till they open their mouths: younger wealthy people in law and other professions and even club owners. Can I tell you how many times I had these yuppy girls from Miami call their DOGS "gay"? And 20 year old valets who weren't even from Jax but "progressive" places...parking cars insulting their own residents etc etc. So annoying. My friends and I found regular people who you wouldn't expect (middle aged and seemingly conservative) to be really nice and engaging.

Yes the "Yankee" thing is harsh. I'm from Philly and always had to watch how I spoke but that's all over Florida. IMO.

To the OP the only shenanigans I saw during the election were Democrats putting FAKE FREAKING signs up near polling places and other election tampering nonsense. But NOWHERE in mid to North Florida is going to feel like Calif, New England or other "liberal" areas.

Go into business for yourself. You'll quickly change your politics

Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 AM

410 posts, read 602,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
And 20 year old valets who weren't even from Jax but "progressive" places...parking cars insulting their own residents etc etc.
This sounds more like immature unenlightened kids with no experience living in the real world. I think most of us were knuckleheads when we were that age. Probably saying dumb stuff to fit in with their buddies, even if they truly don't feel that way.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
NE Florida is so Red on the electoral maps it could almost be purple.
Lol! Now this is true. Jax is pretty much split 50/50, but at the same time for a big city that means it's quite conservative. There's a lot of vocal conservatives in this area and if that bothers you then you might have a problem moving here.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
I know you're being facetious. However, you're also accurately describing the vast majority of the city's population, whether you want to admit it or not. Not all, of course, but most Jacksonville residents (at least the natives or those from the surrounding countryside) fit your sad description. This is, after all, the "Bible Belt," the conservative Deep South.

Wherever you go you will find what you want. I bet that if you met someone who said that they were a Bible-believing Christian with a heavy Southern accent from lets say Hilliard, you would shut down. Prejudge that person as an ignorant, bigot, racist, homophobe without even talking to them. Give people a chance and you would be surprised, people are more than their politics. Talk to people who have obvious Southern accents in NYC, Boston or Chicago. They are talked to as if they are morons, even if they are very learned. My cousin ( who is a gay man BTW) is from here in Jax and has lived in Chicago for a few years and works mainly in progressive places like Chicago and Minneapolis; he has a pretty thick Jax accent. He has told me about being treated like a simpleton by clients employees when doing consulting work, just because of saying something like y'all. Its sad but there are classes to help people loose their accent, they can have a degree in English Lit and speak with perfect grammar. But because of their accent, they are passed over for jobs, people think that they are leaving work and going to Klan meetings etc.

I have met some very closed minded "progressives" in my life. Yeah they are Politically-Correct and they voted for Dukakis, Clinton, Gore and Obama but they are mean-spirited, stingy, hate filled people. And you can find people who voted Republican since Goldwater who are open minded, kind and very generous.

For someone who prides himself on being open-minded, tolerant and non-judgmental you exhibit the opposite of all of those in your posts. I am sorry for your experience with some boorish individuals; if we treat people as individuals and not members of a group, everything would be better

Last edited by jwolfer; 06-07-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville