Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM

134 posts, read 329,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I strongly differ with you on this comparison. As you say, everything is subjective but in my book a beach is NOT a real beach unless there are waves and Gulf beaches are as lifeless as pools. The sand is nice but give me a roaring beach with lots of waves like Jax and SA beaches. They are more fun.
Well, I've been to Siesta Key and there were waves. Nothing to surf on, but they were decent little waves. Same with Sanibel/Captiva. I mean the waves in St. Augustine beach and Jax beach were like being in a washing machine. Also I have three small children so it's nice for them to enjoy the beach. But either way, Gulf beaches look better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
Well, I've been to Siesta Key and there were waves. Nothing to surf on, but they were decent little waves. Same with Sanibel/Captiva. I mean the waves in St. Augustine beach and Jax beach were like being in a washing machine. Also I have three small children so it's nice for them to enjoy the beach. But either way, Gulf beaches look better
Well, to each his own. I understand your preference for quiet, placid Gulf beaches for your small children. A swimming pool for your little ones I am sure serve the same purpose. There is something exciting about being on a beach and seeing the surfers and waves roaring and rolling onto the shore and foam climbing the breakers.
That's a real beach in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,545 times
I was not thrilled with the Bay. Seemed like a giant pond, Yes, the water is beautiful... but no waves, no ocean breeze. My spouse was thrilled to be there at Clearwater, and I was like, So this is it?! A tad disappointing.

Leaning toward Jax. Also the sinkhole thing on the gulf coast is a little scary. You invest your money in a house only to have it worth next to nothing when your neighborhood caves in... or worse... Yes yes yes I know the chances are rare.... but you never know. Plus it seems like any house I liked over in Tampa was about 20% less expensive in St. Johns/JAX area.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Also the sinkhole thing on the gulf coast is a little scary. You invest your money in a house only to have it worth next to nothing when your neighborhood caves in... or worse... Yes yes yes I know the chances are rare.... but you never know.
It's not so rare. A friend of mine in Spring Hill says they are all over the place up there. He had his house checked and -- surprise, surprise -- sinkhole down deep underneath! The insurance company is paying to have it filled in with concrete, or however they handle it.

I eliminated the areas north of Tampa due to that also. I think they may get worse due to over building there and draining the aquifer, or even some freak weather pattern some summer.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 PM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post

Also chain restaurants seem to prevail in the Jax area.
This made me laugh, Tampa is NOTORIOUS for chain restaraunts. Barely any individuality when it comes to the food industry and the sad part is it seems people in Tampa like it this way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
It's not so rare. A friend of mine in Spring Hill says they are all over the place up there. He had his house checked and -- surprise, surprise -- sinkhole down deep underneath! The insurance company is paying to have it filled in with concrete, or however they handle it.

I eliminated the areas north of Tampa due to that also. I think they may get worse due to over building there and draining the aquifer, or even some freak weather pattern some summer.
Yep, and if you need to get one on your property filled you will be fighting with the insurance companies, and when they FINALLY decide to pay it out your property almost gets rendered worthless. Its like owning a car that has been in an accident, then you goto sell the car and you get less because the accident shows up on the history report.

Sinkholes are a huge problem in this area (or at least the insurance aspect of it)

Uninsured motorists are also a huge concern in Tampa, Hillsborough county is 3rd in the state thats why the rates are signficantly higher than in Jax.

Last edited by The b8nk; 04-14-2014 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
Yes, I got hit by a carful of illegals running a red light in St. Pete. The insurance company never did find the driver - no license - so the claim took months to settle. It was some woman's car he was driving, so her insurance finally agreed to pay it.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:43 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
I know lots of college degreed individuals with 5 to 15 years experience struggling to bring in 45 to 50k a year.
What is the degree in? I made that coming out with an accounting degree from just some little liberal arts college in NC.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
in NC.
LOL those same jobs in FL entry level pay 35-40

Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I strongly differ with you on this comparison. As you say, everything is subjective but in my book a beach is NOT a real beach unless there are waves and Gulf beaches are as lifeless as pools. The sand is nice but give me a roaring beach with lots of waves like Jax and SA beaches. They are more fun.
The thing I don't like about JAX beaches is the brown water. Kind of a turn off for me.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM

134 posts, read 329,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
This made me laugh, Tampa is NOTORIOUS for chain restaraunts. Barely any individuality when it comes to the food industry and the sad part is it seems people in Tampa like it this way!
My point was that, in my experience with being in Tampa for 1 year and Jax for 19, there are tons more choices for non-chain restaurants in Tampa, than there is in Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville