Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times

Advertisements

<scratches Bosch appliances from the recommended list>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
<scratches Bosch appliances from the recommended list>
I'm a little weird when it comes to appliances. I am not prepared to "suffer for my art". I just want the darn things to look reasonably ok in my white on white looking kitchen - above all to work well and be dependable - and to be easy to repair when they (hopefully only occasionally) break down.

I'm in the old fart generation that not only remembers but still has appliances in good working condition that are 20 years old. And my parents are even in the older fart generation where things lasted even longer (when my father sold his house in south Florida in 2006 - it still had the harvest gold appliances I'd given my folks when I bought new white ones for our first condo in 1973!).

FWIW - my husband and I are pretty good cooks - and cook often - and we care more about how our cooking and dish cleaning appliances work than how they look. The only thing that is lacking here for the most part is decent gas cooking. To get it - you have to put a propane tank in the ground - and deal with all the costs and issues (like the tank popping out of the ground after lots of rain).

We have 2 good appliance repair outfits we use. One that does warranty work. One that doesn't. And we listen to what the guys say in terms of ease of repairs. Apparently - some major non-US outfits - like Samsung and LG today - have the usual repair issues. But getting replacement parts is a big long PITA process.

FWIW - I'd never buy a really high end appliance here. I can easily afford the appliances - but service is pretty much non-existent. And all an appliance is to me is a "utility stream" - not any other kind of statement. I don't care to buy an appliance that makes a statement that "I can live without my refrigerator for a couple of months while I'm waiting for parts" . Robyn

Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
I honestly hate stainless. I think black looks much better and no worry about all the fingerprints. I'd wish it had been an option on the house we have now. I know "to each his own" and that the average buyer wants stainless.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I honestly hate stainless. I think black looks much better and no worry about all the fingerprints. I'd wish it had been an option on the house we have now. I know "to each his own" and that the average buyer wants stainless.
I'm with you, much prefer the black. Stainless is what HGTV has drilled into the heads of most people, along with granite. at a certain price point buyers should not expect this.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm with you, much prefer the black. Stainless is what HGTV has drilled into the heads of most people, along with granite. at a certain price point buyers should not expect this.
YES YES I so agree with this! Let's call it a little bit of brainwashing perhaps?

If I was looking at two houses, one with stainless and one without, and each being equal otherwise, I would choose the one without the stainless. I listen to my friends who have stainless frequently discuss how to keep them fingerprint and spot free, and the aggravation in the attempts, and which products might work better than others (and no one has found a perfect product). I love to cook, and frankly I'd rather spend my time cooking than wasting time cleaning the stainless.

I believe there are many other ways to make a kitchen look top-notch and new and a major draw without spending money on stainless.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:29 AM

199 posts, read 469,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
FWIW - my husband and I are pretty good cooks - and cook often - and we care more about how our cooking and dish cleaning appliances work than how they look. The only thing that is lacking here for the most part is decent gas cooking. To get it - you have to put a propane tank in the ground - and deal with all the costs and issues (like the tank popping out of the ground after lots of rain).
Score one for Nocatee! We are cooking with Natural Gas over here!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
Score one for Nocatee! We are cooking with Natural Gas over here!
The unicorns and leprechauns deliver the natural gas from over the rainbow! Oh wait, you need a tank in the ground just like everyone else

Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
YES YES I so agree with this! Let's call it a little bit of brainwashing perhaps?

If I was looking at two houses, one with stainless and one without, and each being equal otherwise, I would choose the one without the stainless. I listen to my friends who have stainless frequently discuss how to keep them fingerprint and spot free, and the aggravation in the attempts, and which products might work better than others (and no one has found a perfect product). I love to cook, and frankly I'd rather spend my time cooking than wasting time cleaning the stainless.

I believe there are many other ways to make a kitchen look top-notch and new and a major draw without spending money on stainless.
You know they make stainless steel appliances now that don't leave fingerprints and is magnetic to boot. The wonders of technology!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
The unicorns and leprechauns deliver the natural gas from over the rainbow! Oh wait, you need a tank in the ground just like everyone else
I always though NG was piped in, and propane requires a tank. Am I mistaken?

Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Maybe different parts of Nocatee are different? People who own houses will probably know whether or not they have a tank in the ground. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville