Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times

Advertisements

Temperature sensitivity and how you interpret weather are very much contingent upon where you're coming from. For those of us who grew up in the Midwest or the East Coast, NE FL is nowhere near cold. Highs in the 40s/50s/60s during January with no snow is heaven on Earth for me and I've come to appreciate the mini seasonality that NE FL offers.

My definition of "COLD" is below zero temps, high winds, snow and ice on the ground. If you have never experienced that then you're not in a position to know what true cold weather really is. You'll never even sniff that here.

Others seem to define "COLD" as it hitting the mid 30s in early January at 2am in the morning, then it heats up to the mid 50s during the day. Personally, I don't consider that anywhere near cold. I call that "COOL."

This past winter I never once wore anything more than a light jacket or hooded sweatshirt. If you're coming from VA I suspect you will find our neck of the woods very, very nice in terms of weather. I've said this before here, don't let these thinned skinned Floridians scare you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
I live in Virginia At the moment and in a few months I am moving to St Augustine. im curious to know what the winter is like down there. I am excited to get away from somewhere that is four seasons and to a place where its more sunny I have Seasonal depression in Winter.
Actually, we have 4 seasons here as well.....

Summer, Late Summer, Next Summer and Early Summer.

SS

Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 AM

145 posts, read 224,807 times
It's not blue skies and constant sunshine in the winter, it feels more like an east coast fall. There are warm, sunny days, to be sure. But lots of grey and rain or drizzle as well. I like the variety and I appreciate that the winters here are in no way like the extremes of the east coast. And the change in weather gives me an excuse to break out the sweaters and cords.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
^^^ and if you are lucky enough to have a fire place, a good cold dreary rainy day is a good excuse to go get some fire wood. I'm sure some northerners would would gladly take a North Florida winter over theirs. Only thing sad about a Florida winter are the people who complain about it.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 AM

118 posts, read 341,262 times
Winter in Jacksonville is pleasant. As stated above, it is much like Fall in the Northern half of the United States. IMO, Jacksonville has three "northern mid-latitude" seasons with slightly skewed dates. Fall which runs from early November to late February, Spring which runs from late February to early May, and a LONG Summer which runs from early May to late October. Also, the summer climate varies significantly depending on how far you are from the Atlantic Ocean. There are often 5 to 10 degree summer temperature differences between the inland areas and the Beaches. I've driven from Ortega in the early summer season (west Jacksonville) with a temperature in the low 90s to Ponte Vedra where the temperature was in the high 70s.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:40 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, I think there would be two types of people that would complain about the winters here and sometimes even the summers. They are:

Seniors, like wife and I, who muscles and bones have a hard time (sometimes) handling even the "cool" winter weather here. The younger folks out there in this forum will know what we mean when you get to your 60's and older.

The other people that could/would complain about weather here, and not just the winter's, are families that were forced to move to Jax due to a job transfer. Many of those families would much rather live in the snow than in the summer humidity that is here. Unfortunately, when it comes down to choosing "job transfer" or "unemployment line", many, if not most, will take the job transfer. These are the people who would have never given it a thought about moving to anywhere in Florida before.

The above is IMO, but I think it's true.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Don't forget #3: people who complain because they're just miserably unhappy people.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
For something completely based on fact and hard data, the weather here is completely subjective and you'll get a different interpretation from everyone you ask.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM

410 posts, read 602,344 times
The only season I don't like here in N.E. Florida is "deer fly" season, which will be peaking in the next couple of weeks. Yeah, I'm a complainer. Those bugs are brutal!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Are those the ones that will absolutely ATTACK you and not stop 'til they bite? They will swarm around your head and it's literally impossible to get away from them. I had a few divebombing me the other day and I actually started SPRINTING for a solid 5 minutes to try and get away and sure enough, they were still buzzing around me and one got me in the back of my neck.

I must have looked like my hair was on fire, lol.......sprinting and swatting frantically over my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville