Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPalmer View Post
Robyn55,
you talk a lot, but beyond a substitute experience 50 years ago, what is your real exposure to kids?
Did you have kids? Did you adopt? Did you raise any?

I guess not... so shut up. Okay, I know you are so bored... maybe invest some of your inherited money in a good education cause.

cheers
So you come out of the woodwork to sign up on CD (yesterday) and post your first message. And it's an ad hominem attack. Good going. Perhaps you can answer some questions/messages here on CD. Or get involved in various discussions about various issues. That would be more useful/interesting IMO.

And bored? I don't think so. Tired after a busy week is more like it.

FWIW - I don't usually stoop to respond to messages like yours. But someone signing up on CD just to post the kind of message you did? Well I couldn't resist.

Anyway - let's get back to the thread. Do you live in the metro area (or Florida)/are you planning to move here? What do *you* think about the new school open enrollment law? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 02:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
A bush league move starting a new account for sure. Man up and post using your "real account."

I will say, however, his/her point is along the lines of something you pull here frequently: the "Your opinion means less because you haven't lived here as long as me" that you love to pull out every so often.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
A bush league move starting a new account for sure. Man up and post using your "real account."

I will say, however, his/her point is along the lines of something you pull here frequently: the "Your opinion means less because you haven't lived here as long as me" that you love to pull out every so often.
I think everyone's opinion counts. What counts more in terms of affecting how things work out is the ability to vote. And I do defer to people who have lived here longer than I have (just like people should defer to me in some areas because I have lived here longer than they have - or perhaps they have never lived here at all). Had lunch and was seated with some Jacksonville natives yesterday (it was a Lexus event at Moxie - a cooking demo and lunch - quite nice - sponsored by the new owners of Lexus in Jacksonville).

Brumos dealerships sold to Fields Auto Group | jacksonville.com

I can tell you that my husband and I don't have an expansive social life (we are very comfortable together and not very social for the most part). And the 2 (middle aged although very attractive) women we were seated with weren't the kind of people we usually run across (especially because we don't have many social contacts - especially when it comes to younger people). One was an oncology nurse at St. Vincent's. Another was an IRS computer tech person. They became best friends serving in the military for a couple of decades as very young women. I found it very interesting talking with them about a whole lot of things. From what Jacksonville was like 30 years ago to their military experiences/travels to their current jobs.

BTW - both of these women were black. Which actually isn't unusual when it comes to our social encounters (which are basically kind of infrequent and random). When we go to UF events (note to JackPalmer - UF is the major beneficiary in our will) - we often wind up talking with or seated next to people who have little or nothing in common with us (in any way/shape/form). My favorite is when my husband - after taking lots of math courses in his 50's at UNF - was inducted into the national math honor society when he was about 60. When we went to the induction ceremony - we were older than the parents of all the other inductees - and the only people there who spoke English as a first language .

Guess the older you get - the more laid back you get about this stuff. I really do like meeting new people who are interesting - even if they're a lot different than I am. Learning too.

I agree with your "man up" and post suggestion. It is much easier to take pot shots at people than to post logical (although perhaps not correct) arguments in favor of/against various things. Overall - I try to avoid ad hominem attacks. But admit that I have sometimes been guilty of them when provoked a lot.

Finally - I understand your concerns about having lousy kids infiltrating our schools. I sure don't want to see it either. OTOH - not all kids whose parents don't have money are lousy - and not all kids whose parents do have money are wonderful. After watching this stuff for decades - I still don't have any answers in terms of how the better kids from better families can get the best educations (and vice versa). Perhaps someone will figure it out after I'm dead. Robyn

Old 04-24-2016, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,153 times
Robyn55,

You are no less anonymous than I am ; we don't know who you are, your real name, address, career, real social life. etc.
I suspected for a long time you are just a fake, hiding behind a nice legend and impersonating what you would have liked to be.
It's okay, but please spare us the deluge of comments, posts and pseudo personal stories. You take way too much real estate on this board.

Think about it; I ask you a simple question, more or less "you make some very loaded statements about schools and education, but have you ever raised a kid?"
Your answer: "today, I went to a Lexus social function and I met two attractive women, even if they were middle-aged and black."
You are too funny. No wonder you do not have a social life! Get off your computer and stop impersonating a character so vain and arrogant, I promise you will feel better.

Your analyst,

Old 04-25-2016, 06:19 AM

Actually there are some people on CD who know who I am - and I've met some in real-time (sometimes when on out-of-town trips). Same when it comes to other chat boards (primarily food-related - when I get together with someone I've met on a food chat board - I know we have at least one thing in common - we like good food). I've met dozens of people over the years - ranging from a Thai/Canadian English teacher in Osaka to an Australian who lived in Berlin and made a living translating complex legal documents (she was fluent in 5-6 languages) to some local less exotic people. Haven't you ever had that experience on a chat board - meeting someone in real time (it's not uncommon)?

There's nothing I've said about myself that isn't true. Although I don't keep a comprehensive diary of my life on line. Why on earth would you think that I'm a fake? I find that really funny. Lawyers like me aren't known for our fertile imaginations.

And no - I never had kids. So what? Have you ever served in the military? If not - do you think you're entitled to an opinion about the role of the military in the US? I think all citizens - especially taxpayers - are entitled to opinions about these kinds of things. About the only line I draw when it comes to opinions is you shouldn't - for example - opine that the food in a restaurant is X/Y/Z if you've never dined there. This is a problem Yelp has had to deal with over the years:

Just How Bad Is Yelp's Fake Review Problem?

So to get things back on track - I ask again - what do think about the topic of this thread? The new Florida school open enrollment law?

BTW - if you don't like reading what I write - you can put me on "ignore" (I've never done that to anyone - because I never mind reading opposing points of view - but YMMV). Robyn

Old 04-25-2016, 09:29 AM

308 posts, read 267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And no - I never had kids. So what? Have you ever served in the military? If not - do you think you're entitled to an opinion about the role of the military in the US? I think all citizens - especially taxpayers - are entitled to opinions about these kinds of things.
Having an opinion regarding the military in the broad sense of we should or should not go to war with country X, Y, and/or Z is quite far removed from having input on how the military should handle training, or input on how operations are carried out. Here I actually thought you had raised children and put them through school (whether public or private) and based your opinions on past experience. Paying taxes that go toward public education does not give you much credit insofar as understanding how schools work even at a macro level, let alone a micro level. Moreover, your own school experience was so long ago that it is arguably very different from what kids go through nowadays.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
Having an opinion regarding the military in the broad sense of we should or should not go to war with country X, Y, and/or Z is quite far removed from having input on how the military should handle training, or input on how operations are carried out. Here I actually thought you had raised children and put them through school (whether public or private) and based your opinions on past experience. Paying taxes that go toward public education does not give you much credit insofar as understanding how schools work even at a macro level, let alone a micro level. Moreover, your own school experience was so long ago that it is arguably very different from what kids go through nowadays.
Exactly...I would never even think of telling a military family what is better for their kid or how his division of the military should operate.

Having kids in school right now, day-to-day, dealing with homework, grades, standardized testing, school zoning, funding issues, teacher issues, school sports and extracurriculuars, is totally different. IT IS REAL, not just opining on a message board.

Last edited by snuffybear; 04-25-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
Nope - I've just put lots of other peoples' kids through school. As a taxpayer in Florida for 40+ years (probably about $200-300k in property taxes over the decades). If you don't think I should have a say - perhaps I should be excused from the large % of my property taxes that goes to education? What do you think about that? I'll take it. Paying less than half of what I pay in property taxes now - and I don't get to have an opinion. You think you're the only people entitled to opinions/to vote on these issues - you pay for them - and I get a tax exemption. That works for me. Robyn

Old 04-25-2016, 06:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
You didn't vote on anything relating to open enrollment. A Palm Harbor Representative advanced the House bill as did a Fort Myers Senator through the Senate. Try again.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You didn't vote on anything relating to open enrollment. A Palm Harbor Representative advanced the House bill as did a Fort Myers Senator through the Senate. Try again.
Good point. And she doesn't vote on standardized testing and what electives or advanced classes are offered and how the sports programs work, either. ETC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville