Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times

Advertisements

Very good info TiggnTaz. I also was not aware that another provider could try to come into Jacksonville. I havent had too much difficulty with Comcast, but it irks me how slow they are to pick up new stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 PM

112 posts, read 524,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Very good info TiggnTaz. I also was not aware that another provider could try to come into Jacksonville. I havent had too much difficulty with Comcast, but it irks me how slow they are to pick up new stations.

I am a big supporter of competition because it makes services better. and in some cases drives price down too.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 PM

53 posts, read 212,629 times
Any new info? I am moving into St Johns Forest and don't like the sound of all this. I really like Brighthouse in the Orlando area. Is Comcast or Litestream in the same league? Any idea if we can add a box with a DVR w/o all the premium channels?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1011 View Post
Any new info? I am moving into St Johns Forest and don't like the sound of all this. I really like Brighthouse in the Orlando area. Is Comcast or Litestream in the same league? Any idea if we can add a box with a DVR w/o all the premium channels?
Comcast is the largest provider in the US, so it's hard to compare then with smaller outfits like Lifestream or Brighthouse (neither of which I ever heard of before this thread was started ).

Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 PM

71 posts, read 287,781 times
On a similar note - does anyone know much about DirecPath? Sounds like they have agreements with apartment complexes to provide DirecTV without the satellites on each apartment (DirecTV through preexisting cable wiring). I've never had DirecTV, but it looks like it would be more expensive for TV plus Internet than ComCast. I don't think I have a choice in my apartment complex, though.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 AM

53 posts, read 212,629 times
I did not realize Comcast was the biggest. Any S J Forest residents able to chime in? How's the service with Litestream?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 AM

236 posts, read 1,085,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck123 View Post
On a similar note - does anyone know much about DirecPath? Sounds like they have agreements with apartment complexes to provide DirecTV without the satellites on each apartment (DirecTV through preexisting cable wiring). I've never had DirecTV, but it looks like it would be more expensive for TV plus Internet than ComCast. I don't think I have a choice in my apartment complex, though.

I just have this one comment about satellite internet: Everyone that's had it knows that satellite TV gets unreliable in heavy rain. In my house, the time we are sure to want to use the TV and/or internet is during bad weather. Satellite internet is right out.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 PM

So... at this point, there is no viable alternative for high speed internet other than Comcast in the Jax area? (ATT DSL doesn't seem to be all that fast and Lightspeed sounds like they have problems, too.)

My wife got so upset with Comcast that she ended up with blood vessel damage in her left eye. (I can't swear they are directly related, but three days after the big blowup, she was losing the peripheral vision in her eye and no-one has a more likely cause.)

Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 AM

With the price of copper, I would imagine there won't be any major upgrades or changes in the high speed internet world in a while... guess we're gonna be stuck with the big C.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:51 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
So... at this point, there is no viable alternative for high speed internet other than Comcast in the Jax area? (ATT DSL doesn't seem to be all that fast and Lightspeed sounds like they have problems, too.)

My wife got so upset with Comcast that she ended up with blood vessel damage in her left eye. (I can't swear they are directly related, but three days after the big blowup, she was losing the peripheral vision in her eye and no-one has a more likely cause.)
ATT's DSL is 6Mbps max, same as Comcast's standard plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville