Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM

97 posts, read 404,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Hey MAI1229
we live in the Baymeadows area I wonder if he has ever delivered to us !!!
If you want to DM me the name of the place he works if it is one we order from I will certainly ask for him to deliver.

Also I am friends with the manager of a pizza place that maybe nearer to the intercoastal if you want me to see if they are hiring drivers ?
Hi Karla!! Hope you're doing well. I'll find out the exact name of the place and send it via private. I know he's on BayMeadows and Philips and delivers to alot of hotels (Best Western)? Or perhaps a few that do not have a full restuarant, thus many fliers in the reception area. And yes, if you could (reach out to your friend) I would be grateful once again. He's on Hodges/Atlantic so Hodges, Beach, Atlantic, Kernan, San Pablo JTB and such would be just great! Thanks again and I'll let you know the name.
MaryAnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAI1229 View Post
Thanks Apanda! Can you tell I still call him on his 201 number
No worries. I hope he is doing well (other than the horrible job market)

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn2jax View Post

Most people on this board seem to understand what I am looking for...simply a heads up and ideas. Obviously I'm not fitting ANY of the jobs from cashier to receptionist to customer service to office personnel ALL of which I have some experience in. So there's always someone better for that job and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to be that person for ONE job. Some posters on here have been very nice and passed a few leads my way. Hopefully those will work out or one of the others.
As mentioned previously, more layoffs in the financial/banking industry are probably coming. A lot of Jax folks are employed by the financial industry so the competition for jobs may increase in the coming months .

Something new the financial/banking industry is doing in Jax right now is long-term contract work . So you'll find a lot of the available jobs are for a contract period of 6 months, 18, months, 24 months, etc. A nice perk for the banks is that they don't have to give you the same benefits when you are on contract (you can get medical, for example, but you pay much more for it that you would as a permanent employee). So they'll hire you to get through the current bailout work, then let you go.

My advice would be to broaden the scope (as it seems you have), throw it all out there and see what sticks. Don't be suprised if you hear nothing for a month and then all of a sudden you get 4 or 5 calls for interviews in the span of a few days.

I also moved to FL with savings but no job and just made it work . Some of us must have an extra gene for risk or something ?!

Old 11-08-2008, 04:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

I also moved to FL with savings but no job and just made it work . Some of us must have an extra gene for risk or something ?!
You can also add me to that list of folks that moved down without a job

As a matter of fact before I came down to Jax I had moved from Phila to NJ and did the same thing

Yup i agree we must have that extra gene

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 AM

55 posts, read 195,477 times
A moderate risk, this is. Still no jumping from planes or day trading for me, though.

Thanks for all your support. I feel a lot more optimistic now.

Btw, riveree, I did see that Wachovia was hiring a loan processor in the manner that you mentioned. At the point, I say ok..because at least it's income.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,232,037 times
I've moved to several cities with savings and no job lined up. You just have to perservere through the tough times and hope everything works out. You should be proud of yourself b/c you took a chance and left a life that didn't suit you anymore. Alot of ppl. stay where they are out of fear, and they live in a place that they don't like. You should consider yourself fortunate that you're not afraid to leave a bad situation! Hang in there, and don't let some of the other posters get you down...you'll make it

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn2jax View Post
Hey there guys! I am a happy resident of Jacksonville finally! I moved here about 2 months ago and I have found much to like and a bit to dislike. But the pro's outweigh the con's so I'm not going to complain.

My biggest con is this: I cannot get anyone to call me for a job. Since I've been here I have applied to at least one hundred postings on anything from craigslist (the ones that were legit) to employflorida.com to jaxjobs. And nothing! I'm not even applying for things that I'm not qualified for.

I owned my own small biz and for a few years before moving here and have been out of the official workforce for about 4 years. I also have an Asian surname.

I came here with enough savings to last a bit, but it's disheartening to not hear ANYthing after applying for jobs that you feel way overqualified or qualified for.

Any ideas?
You have to just get a job!!! Now is not the time to be choosy! Swallow the pride, McDonalds, Wal Mart, Hardees, Subway, Pizza Hut, UPS, KMart, Winn Dixie, Target, etc.....go for those jobs and make a budget!!! The Market is bad. Why are so many people in denial? Don't take this personal, but keep trying, just land a consistent pay check. Once you do that, maybe you can get another part time gig. I worked 2 jobs just to build up some comfort money than I quit one of them.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Even in good times with low unemployment, companies in Jax take an unusually long time in the hiring process. I've been down the same road you have with sending out resumes and hearing nothing for a month and then they all call at once .
You had that problem too?? Man don't you just hate when 4-5 jobs all want to interview you at once!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
The question is not offensive in the least. But common sense dictates that before one moves somewhere, it makes sense to secure employment first.
I disagree. Most jobs when they do call you want to interview either that week, or the next week. If you live in Philly and are interviewing a gig in Chicago while you have a job in Philly, it is going to be difficult to do. Its better to find out what rent will be and save up to 6 months of rent, move to your new city then search, that way when a interview comes up, not only are you available but you are in the actually city for the easy interview. Also what if you interview for a job and they don't like you. You came all the way to Chicago from Philly for no reason!!! Who has that money to waste. I have seen it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Maybe it's because no one is hiring right now? You know how bad the economy is doing, I'm sure.
Can argue with that.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
You had that problem too?? Man don't you just hate when 4-5 jobs all want to interview you at once!!!
It's just better when it's spaced out so you can evaluate each one on its' own. When you feel like you have to grab the first one that makes an offer, you make a commitment and then the others crawl out of the woodwork, you can end up doubting if you could have held out for more money or a better job situation.

Some people will still continue to interview even though they've started at the new job, I've just never been very good at that. I wasn't good at juggling multiple boyfriends at once either....I have a guilt streak in me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: