Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM

29 posts, read 130,974 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is probably going to seem like a really odd question, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask lol. For any of you who live in St. Augustine or are more familiar, are the bells that ring at Trinity Episcopal church really loud? I'm wondering because I'm getting married outside in January (at a location nearby), and our site manager just now informed us that Trinity rings its bells from 5-5:30 which is the exact same time as our ceremony! (why she failed to mention this earlier, I have no idea but it would have been helpful to know that little tidbit before our invitations were sent out). I'm worried about our guests being able to hear us saying our vows, and I'm also concerned that it will interfere with our ceremony music. Any advice or experiences? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,864,151 times
I'm not sure how long the bells ring for (it's been awhile since I've been down there at that time), but it is loud. You could call the city of St. Augustine Visitor Information Center and they would probably be able to tell you. 904.825.1000. Good luck and congrats!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM

I was afraid of that ... damn it. I actually just called Trinity directly and practically begged them to delay the bells until a little later, but they said that they're on an automatic timer so I guess there's nothing they can do about it. They tried to say that the bells aren't very loud though, and our site manager said the same thing. She said that we'd hear the songs playing in the background, but it shouldn't interfere too much. Let's hope she's right.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Just make the best of it! Did you ask them how long they chime for? If anything, it will add character and romance to your ceremony.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM

That's what my friend told me lol. Normally I wouldn't mind, but we were told that they would be ringing for the entire 30 minute duration of our ceremony! If it was only a few minutes, I wouldn't care so much. I'm just annoyed because our site manager should have brought this to our attention sooner (it's not like we go to St. Aug that often so we had no idea). We hired a guitarist to play, and as far as we know he'll have a microphone attached to his guitar but still... I'm going to be ticked off if we can't hear that music that we paid for lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,235,034 times
Could you possibly move your ceremony up so that the bells start chiming when you're pronounced husband and wife?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Unfortunately we can't change the ceremony time. Our invitations already went out so it would be impossible to call everyone now to inform them that there's been a change and aside from that, we're getting married at a venue that's open to the public and it doesn't even close until 4:30 so our ceremony can't start until after that. It's so complicated. Basically we have a very small window of time to work with, and it can't be changed. This sucks! lol

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM

37 posts, read 149,550 times
I don't really recall anything ringing for an entire 30 minutes. I'd call back and ask how long they chime for? I mean, I don't live down there but we are down there often enough (3x per week or so) and I never remember anything chiming for more than a few minutes.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 AM

I know, that seemed kind of strange to me too. I'm pretty sure I've been in St. Augustine around 5:00 in the evening before, and I don't recall ever hearing bells, but maybe it's something they only do around Christmas time? The site manager said that the bells actually play songs so maybe they play xmas carols... I have no idea. I wish I could get a straight answer from someone.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 AM

Aren't you getting married in January? Why would they play Christmas carols in January? I know Nights of Lights runs through Jan. but that seems rediculous. Can you go down to St. Augustine one evening and hear it for yourself? That's what I would do and then you can make a decision as how you want to proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville