Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times

Advertisements

Any jazz lovers out there would care to share your favorite jazz hangout?
Even a club featuring jazz one or two nights a week like Sangrias in downtown St. Augustine on Sunday nights
but let's hear about some places in Jax where you can listen to some decent live jazz instead of the usual fare.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there are quite a few very talented jazz artists right here in Jax.
Maybe we can form a little jazz community here on C-D.

And BTW here's a heads-up: Jacksonville Jazz Festival Spring 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:51 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I think there's a decent Jazz program at UNF. If you're really interested, you could contact them to find out where students and faculty perform...or at least where they like to go listen.

Jazz Studies at the University of North Florida - Home (http://www.unf.edu/coas/music/jazzstudies/index.htm - broken link)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
I'm not a jazz fan and it's a little bit of a hike, but the Intercoastal Wine Co. in Fernandina has two jazz nights this Friday and Saturday.

I received this email today from icwine.com ...

Intercoastal Wine Company
10 North 2nd Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Friday March 27 and Saturday 28: 8 to 11pm
"The Intercoastal Wine Company proudly presents Mpact, the fabulous jazz trio from Jacksonville. Come enjoy the smooth sounds of this talented jazz group. Mpact is one of the most talented and sought after smooth jazz trio in Jacksonville, FL. Their combined expertise includes jazz, both contemporary and standards, interwoven with warm-toned rhythm & blues and reggae. $5 Cover. "

Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM

31 posts, read 70,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Any jazz lovers out there would care to share your favorite jazz hangout?
Even a club featuring jazz one or two nights a week like Sangrias in downtown St. Augustine on Sunday nights
but let's hear about some places in Jax where you can listen to some decent live jazz instead of the usual fare.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there are quite a few very talented jazz artists right here in Jax.
Maybe we can form a little jazz community here on C-D.

And BTW here's a heads-up: Jacksonville Jazz Festival Spring 2009
Looking forward to the Jazz Festival coming up . . . good line up.
What I don't understand is why Jacksonville has no Smooth Jazz station . . . let me rephrase that - they did until about a year or so ago

Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf215 View Post
What I don't understand is why Jacksonville has no Smooth Jazz station . . . let me rephrase that - they did until about a year or so ago
A jazz station or a classical music station would not survive in Jacksonville.
Music tastes here are really two-dimensional, it's either rock/R&B or country & western.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Music tastes here are really two-dimensional, it's either rock/R&B or country & western.
Wrong. Jax had a smooth jazz station from about 1998 or 1999 that was sold to Tama Broadcasting, which owned the station until they sold the smooth jazz station a couple of months ago. So you're looking at about 10 years or so. Prior to 1999 the city went without a smooth jazz station for several years but there was one in the early 90s and even in the 80s. I know b/c I remember listening to the station.

With radio you have to remember that companies buy and sell stations like hotcakes. See Clear Channel and Cox and others for a example. I will guarantee that you'll see another company bring in a smooth jazz station to the Jax market within the next 2 or 3 years.

Jax has a strong jazz community as others have mentioned. Besides the annual jazz festival that has taken place for years you also have artists like Peter White who comes to Jax every year to do his Peter White's White Christmas show, which is really good. You should check it out sometime. The City of Jax Beach also has a summer jazz concert series.

Moral of the story: don't generalize.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Wrong. Jax had a smooth jazz station from about 1998 or 1999 that was sold to Tama Broadcasting, which owned the station until they sold the smooth jazz station a couple of months ago. So you're looking at about 10 years or so. Prior to 1999 the city went without a smooth jazz station for several years but there was one in the early 90s and even in the 80s. I know b/c I remember listening to the station.
Why am I wrong? I said that a radio station dedicated to jazz would not survive in Jax and you made my point.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
I go to the Ritz in downtown Jax and Jack Rabbits in San Marco whenever they have jazz nights. Those spots are pretty cool

Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 PM

107 posts, read 183,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf215 View Post
Looking forward to the Jazz Festival coming up . . . good line up.
Yea I used to listen to that station all the time when I worked in Jax...It is what got me into Jazz.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:56 PM

107 posts, read 183,534 times
Quote:
Interesting, sounds like Jacksonville is still behind on the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville