Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

Lake City = Mayberry.

Not good, unless you like Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That could work out really well, it would give you good access to Riverside which is a great area with lots going on.
Oh sure, go from Lake City to the Westside of J'ville....

A saying comes to mind...something about out of the oven and in to the frying pan.......

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlinn View Post
my marine husband and i are moving to Lake City for him to be a recruiter. we'll be stuck there for the next 3 years! so far from this site it doesn't sound like the city life to me except for gainsville. any advice of where to live or what to do ? I have a 3mth yr old and i am a house wife looking for a good apartment complex....
Lake City isn't a city. But it isn't a tiny hick town either. Closest larger town is Valdosta GA - about which I know nothing except it has a really fabulous high school band (and Georgia has a state income tax - Florida doesn't). Lake City is about an hour from Gainesville - which isn't really a city either. More like a college town on steroids (Gainesville is where the University of Florida is). It's more than an hour from the center of JAX - or to the JAX Naval Air Station Area (where I assume many military families live). I'm not sure it's worth the drive to/from Gainesville - and the into and out of JAX traffic can kill you. If possible - try renting in Lake City for a while. See if you like it. And - if you don't - explore these other areas - and see what's in the other places that would make a long commute on your husband's part worth your while.

With your being a stay at home mom with an infant - I think off the top of my head that your husband would rather be close to home most of the time - instead of commuting 2+ hours a day on the interstate. Frankly - I wouldn't wish any of these commutes on a dog. And with what you'd save on gas - wear and tear on a car - probably rent too since I suspect Lake City is a less expensive area to live - etc. - you could take weekends off and explore Florida (there is lots and lots to explore here). Also - it's not like you'll be foot-loose and fancy-free with an infant. If you move to Lake City - find a place to live that you like - and make some friends with other couples with young children - think you'll be fine.

Will you be able to come down and visit before you move? Think it would be a good idea to see Lake City in person before you move - even if it's a whirlwind trip. Robyn

Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Oh sure, go from Lake City to the Westside of J'ville....

A saying comes to mind...something about out of the oven and in to the frying pan.......
The last time we were in Lake City (on our way to Tallahassee - stopped for lunch) - we had a strange experience. Stopped at I forget where. And there were a million cops there having lunch too. So we asked them what was going on - and they said it was a Klan rally - everyone was working overtime. The officers were nice and polite and seemed ok to me - not red-necky at all.

Well my husband and I had never seen a Klan rally before - so we went. And it turned out that the "Klan" consisted of about 15 obese guys on Harleys - from Pennsylvania. Meanwhile - the locals - black and white - just showed up and gawked. Many shaking their heads that they - as taxpayers - had to spend so much money on police OT - basically the whole annual Lake City police department OT budget - to deal with these idiots.

I think Lake City may be more progressive than parts of JAX (I suspect that - like many less expensive parts of Florida - it attracts a fair number of less affluent retired people from other parts of the US who aren't hicks from the sticks). Robyn

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Lake City = Mayberry.

Not good, unless you like Mayberry.
When's the last time you were in Lake City? Not at all like Mayberry (I'm not sure any place in the US is like Mayberry these days). Robyn

Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlinn View Post
my marine husband and i are moving to Lake City for him to be a recruiter. we'll be stuck there for the next 3 years! so far from this site it doesn't sound like the city life to me except for gainsville. any advice of where to live or what to do ? I have a 3mth yr old and i am a house wife looking for a good apartment complex....
I lived in Columbia Arms Apartments for a while when I worked at the Prison out there. Nice Apartments. Might want to look them up. All single level buildings.

The pace of life was slow. Very Slow. If I remember right, Tom and Jerrys was pretty much the only Bar for nightlife in the city. Wal Mart was the major attraction. If you like the outdoors... its not call Lake City for nothing. Plenty of Lakes to go visit. Just get yourself some Married Couple friends and it should be ok. If your Hubby will be working in one of those Joint Recruiting stations, then you have a good chance of meeting other Military Couples in your same boat. There can be a common bond between all of you so it could be a good start.

Oh, yea it was redneckish but I dont remember any KKK rallies... not that I looked for them either.

This was about 10 years ago so I dont know if there has been any change out there or not.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,727 times
What do younger people do in towns like these just wondering.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
Gainesville will be an easier commute to Lake City than from Jacksonville. I think you would probably feel happy and comfortable in High Springs or Alachua, which are even closer to Lake City than Gainesville. Even though Lake City has grown, it still has a very rural, conservative feel. Churches are the backbone of social life there and the churches are VERY conservative. There is not an active GLBT community as there is in Gainesville. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
There is not an active GLBT community as there is in Gainesville. Good luck!
I do believe that LakeCityPride would disagree with you on that one. There is probably a much larger and active GLBT community in Gainesville, than there is in Lake City. But as Mr. Pride states there is one that is active.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Gainesville will be an easier commute to Lake City than from Jacksonville. I think you would probably feel happy and comfortable in High Springs or Alachua, which are even closer to Lake City than Gainesville. Even though Lake City has grown, it still has a very rural, conservative feel. Churches are the backbone of social life there and the churches are VERY conservative. There is not an active GLBT community as there is in Gainesville. Good luck!
Yamahaster, we do agree that there is not a huge gay community, however there is not a huge OPEN gay community. We are still working with these programs throughout the state to bing gay programs here such as PFLAG, Bear Clubs, GLAAD, ACLU, etc. to bring some boom to this county. Also we encourage gay businesses to open their doors here in Lake City as well. But if most of Columbia County was open, thel Lake City would have a great, significant gay community. churches are not as influential in our county anymore than maybe 10 years ago except for the Meade Ministries program. As mentioned, anyone is welcome to contact our program through our Facebook and we can provide more information about the gay lifestyle in Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville