Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
never believe car salesmen, life insurance salesmen and real estate salemen, they will all say anything regardless of the truth to make a sale.
the easiest way to trip them up is to make them put any promise in writing, they'll never do it
You made me laugh! I have a funny story to tell you: I got a call from my realtor the other day and she said that a buyer looking at our house was concerned because she got bit by mosquitos when she was in our backyard and she wanted the homeowner (me) to explain this. I don't think my realtor liked my explanation: "Um, this is FL. This is Ponte Vedra Bch. I live on a lagoon in an uncleared lot with over a dozen trees, azalea bushes and palmettos. Yes, there are mosquitos here!! Buy some bug spray." She wanted me to give her a way to spin my answer so I told her to just tell them to spray the backyard and the mosquitos will go away. Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
You made me laugh! I have a funny story to tell you: I got a call from my realtor the other day and she said that a buyer looking at our house was concerned because she got bit by mosquitos when she was in our backyard and she wanted the homeowner (me) to explain this. I don't think my realtor liked my explanation: "Um, this is FL. This is Ponte Vedra Bch. I live on a lagoon in an uncleared lot with over a dozen trees, azalea bushes and palmettos. Yes, there are mosquitos here!! Buy some bug spray." She wanted me to give her a way to spin my answer so I told her to just tell them to spray the backyard and the mosquitos will go away. Right.
A perfect example because it was too hard for her to imagine ever being straightforward and truthful

Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 PM

156 posts, read 711,172 times
I know what you mean, but I think I found an ok dance center in the WGV shopping center, that's what my girls love so it may be ok. Otherwise, it's in the car we go..at least they have movies now!! haha

Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
If you want the name of a decent ballet only dance instructor in PVB, let me know and I'll give you her name. She's strictly ballet but my daughters learned more from her in a year than they did in two years at their other schools. She's pretty technical and some don't like it but daughters are pretty intense. You might also want to check out the Cultural Center at Ponte Vedra. They have great arts stuff for the kids, too. Also, if you don't already know this, look at www.jax4kids.com. It was such a help to me when I got here.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 AM

May I ask where you live? And do you have daughters? I would love some insight from someone who lives there. Do you know anything about the following places:
On Pointe Dance Center in WGV shopping center
Roots and Wings preschool
Turning Point Christian Academy on Rte 16
Also, do you know of a good workout facility - for me??
Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!
You can email me directly if you want, jgouzos@bellsouth.net.
Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Hi lvmy3grls, I live in Heritage Landing in the same area you are considering and I have a preschool age daughter. She took art classes at On Pointe Dance Center and had a great time. I've heard good things from other mom's who have their kids in dance classes too. It is a new facility and is just getting off the ground. The woman who owns it has years of experience operating dance schools, however.

As far as preschools, I did an exhaustive search and have decided on Turning Pointe Christian Academy as have many of the mom's in Heritage Landing. First of all, they participate in VPK so it's free. Not the most important aspect, but it helps! Also, I want her to be among the same kids she will be going to kindergarten with for continuity. It's is a brand new facility and very clean and bright, unlike many facilities I visited. Go visit and see what you think. They've been very friendly and professional so far.

Roots and Wings was not really on my list of possibilities. It also is a new and beautiful facility, but I got the feeling that it was more of a money-making buisness. As far as I know, they also are offering VPK, but only if you have your child in full day, which means you have to pay for the afternoon hours. They do not want kids there on a part-time basis. They also have never returned my or my friends calls. I can't say more about it though because I personally don't know any mom's who send their kids there.

Anymore questions about the area I'll be glad to help you with!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Hey Songgirl, I am glad to hear you decided on Turning Point as it was my first choice as well, and the day was a little bit longer leaving me just a little more time to myself (for the first time in 10 years I might add...) What is the buzz on Murabella? We are also considering there. I am concerned about the CDD and HOA fees going up in these new neighborhoods as they have in Palencia, they pay CDD and HOA fees totaling almost $5,000 a year!! Is there any talk of that happening? I am glad to hear about the dance center as the owner seemed like a lovely lady, and as I said my girls love dance so I am hoping to find them a nice family friendly studio.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Murabella seems really nice, no problems that I've heard of. The CDD fees probably will continue to go up though. Here in Heritage Landing, they went up about $200 this year.

Overall, we are really happy with this area, but Heritage Landing, not so much. Murabella seems like a better deal. King and the Bear also seems nice.

What we like about the area is the proximity to downtown St. Aug. and Vilano Beach, but better schools, and active neighborhoods where you meet more young families.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:20 PM

44 posts, read 143,789 times
What About Eagle Harbor? How Are The Schools There. Going To Be There In 3 Months To Look. Where Should I Look So We Do Not Have A Wasted Trip?

Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,369 times
"never believe car salesmen, life insurance salesmen and real estate salemen, they will all say anything regardless of the truth to make a sale."

OUCH!! KORT, you're killin' me!! My husband and I both sell cars and would not lie about anything. Of course, we're atypical in more than just that way...

Originally from Pompano Beach (we're both native Floridians, if you can imagine...), we're looking to move from GA (N of ATL) to N St Aug area. We've been through the area and are very happy to be moving there ASAP!!

Does anyone know about the marinas on the southside of Jax (like Fruit Cove/Switzerland??)? Saltwater in the veins leads my hubby to move from selling cars to selling boats. He's very knowledgeable about boats/boating and talented in sales, so it's up to finding a good resource for locating the right job. I hope it's not as hard as I read it was on another post.

Our time line is probably about a year, considering what we need to do here before we move. I'll be looking for the right place to live, too. My budget is not so high, though. Looking for something in the 200-300K range, near water (not nec beach, though), newer 3-4BR/2+Bath house with 1/2 acre of decent yard, and quiet small 'hood. We don't have kids, so schools are not a consideration - but low crime IS!! Renting is an option, initially.

I wish all the best to those moving into the area!! Once you find the right house, I know you'll all LOVE it!!

It's great to have this forum as a guide. Great insight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville