Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times

Advertisements

Do any of you email your resume in pdf format? Does this also work for Monster and Careerbuilder? What's your experience with recruiter and companies receiving your pdf resume?

I just now made my resume and resume samples available in pdf format. Regular MS Word resume was 155 kb size, pdf version 60 kb so it's great for Craigslist jobs.

I used to send my resume samples as an online html help file generated with Adobe Robohelp 8. But many email system don't take the .chm file - they think it could be a possible virus. So I had to make a pdf version instead. Will send this pdf version now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Do any of you email your resume in pdf format? Does this also work for Monster and Careerbuilder? What's your experience with recruiter and companies receiving your pdf resume?

I just now made my resume and resume samples available in pdf format. Regular MS Word resume was 155 kb size, pdf version 60 kb so it's great for Craigslist jobs.

I used to send my resume samples as an online html help file generated with Adobe Robohelp 8. But many email system don't take the .chm file - they think it could be a possible virus. So I had to make a pdf version instead. Will send this pdf version now.
I am not familiar enough about Monster or Careerbuilder so I cannot comment on that. As a default, I submit my resumes and cover letters in PDF formats unless the application or recruiter specifies Word or text. The reason why PDF format is ideal to use is that all computers come with at least a Reader so you don't have to worry about what version of Word, etc the recruiter has. The most important reason for me is that the formatting is retained and is not dependent upon how the receiver's computer is set up (one page resumes don't turn into two pages due to printer set ups, etc).

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

232 posts, read 542,929 times
I haven't sent a .pdf resume since the late 90s. What's worked best for me has been plain text, even moreso than a word doc.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikaranista View Post
I haven't sent a .pdf resume since the late 90s. What's worked best for me has been plain text, even moreso than a word doc.

This I'd throw out instantly if it came across my desk. I prefer people to send me PDF resume's because it looks the same on the screen and printed out.

Word is completely acceptable, but it shows some formatting queues can be distracting. Especially with tables.

What I hate seeing these days are resume's with huge blocks of text, and resumes with such simplistic formatting that it waste's half the page (usually the right side of the resume looks a lot more whiter than the left.

My recommendation, use PDF when possible, and use tables and lists, bullet points etc. The resume should be a presentation of you with a modern layout. Not just a list of bullets along the left side.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Why not send both? I've submitted both pdf's and doc's. Some companies prefer doc while others prefer pdf.

I like pdf because they are like pictures, they load fast.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
Why not send both? I've submitted both pdf's and doc's. Some companies prefer doc while others prefer pdf.

I like pdf because they are like pictures, they load fast.

PDF's are nothing like pictures, from a technical perspective.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This I'd throw out instantly if it came across my desk.
plain text resumes are good for those online apps that require it be cut and pasted into their supplied box.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times
Well, one ad on Craigslist advertised a job and said submit a pdf resume but I couldn't and I sent an MS Word resume. Not everyone can have or afford Adobe Acrobat.

Now I will send pdf resumes to Craigslist ads because Craigslist has a 150kb limit for resumes.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,921,013 times
I almost always send my resume in PDF format.

PDFs offer more certainty. I don't have to worry about what version of the software the recipient has, or their default software or printer settings that might alter my formatting. PDFs are also compressed by definition, which makes the files smaller, and I use the 'reduce file size' feature to compress further, if necessary.

I also have my resume in an alternate 'scannable' format, for use when uploading to a website or sending to a company that might use scanning software.

If the company or job board has specific instructions about file format, I always follow their instructions.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
plain text resumes are good for those online apps that require it be cut and pasted into their supplied box.
Online applications - yes. Email attachments - no...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search