Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

I am about 5 years younger than you and have had much the same results as you. Anything to suggest age has been removed from my resume except that I go back 20 years on job experience because it shows I am a learner.

I started working on expanding my freelance business a few months into my unemployment and now am getting so much work that it is nearly impossible to search for a real job. I like working from home, been at it for 5 years now and it gives me flexibility to be there for my middle schooler when he gets home. As long as the money is coming in from that I am not spending a lot of time looking for an office job but I still someday would like to find one with benefits since my child and I don't have health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 AM

171 posts, read 444,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Look as young as possible. Only go back 10 years on experience. You have been "free-lancing" since the job ended.
This. And start actually looking for some sort of freelance work. Volunteer. Anything to be able to show that you haven't sat around feeling sorry for yourself. You need to sublimate any traits that make you seem old or insecure.

Also, I'm not sure if you're exaggerating about the screaming & crying when laid off from your last position, but that's a bad exit if you literally behaved in that manner. I'd try and repair it, if you can. It is possible it could be following you around at least when you apply in your previous industry.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 AM

299 posts, read 903,515 times
My situation is a little different in that I'm only 23 years old and enrolled in college full time (I'll graduate next May), but after being out of work for close to a year, I've given up. I live in a blue-collar community where our unemployment rate is 10% and there is basically ZERO demand for anyone that has more than a high school education. I used to have a job that paid me $12 an hour (not bad for a young college student), but I was laid off due to the economy.

The problem I have is that I'm overqualified for low level part-time jobs, yet I can't find a job that I'm qualified for and will be willing to work with my school schedule.

Right now, my focus is to get through school, and then hopefully something will come my way.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
To the OP - I agree with everyone who said yes to dying your hair (although you might want to do the graying temples thing to show maturity). Unfortunately we live in a lookist world. I'd also suggest hitting the gym and doing everything you can to be in good shape for the same reason. Plus it'll give you energy and keep you feeling upbeat which is helpful when job hunting and interviewing.
I'd also agree with changing the time related part of your resume, go back maybe 20 years only and focus on achievements more.

Sorry it is happening to you.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM

171 posts, read 444,425 times
One more thought: let go of your old position emotionally. The story doesn't matter. It sucks, but it is so common right now. You want to seem upbeat when asked about it, and deftly bring the interviewer back to the reason you're talking with them. I may just be picking up on venting here but it is possible you're projecting bitterness & frustration, and that could be what is cutting the interviews short.

You could try a functional resume too. Yes, it raises red flags, but it might be a better idea than listing dates of employment back to the early 80s or beyond. Perhaps provide a skills summary and your last 3 or 4 relevant positions? Resumes don't get people jobs, and in a time when there are a gazillion people applying for one position, the odds are good they'll be recycled anyway.

I think you need some new contacts and you may need to reconnect and mend some previous relationships.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Millions have given up looking. Statistically, the rate is actually lower for those over 50, so that may not be as large a barrier as you think. But many employers are not interested in experience over ten years old.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 11,236 times
Recommendations:
Find a branch of the Business Executives Networking Group (theBENG.org)
Network and work with similar experienced people.
Find a local networking or association in your field, join, attend meetings.
There might be some un-announced positions that they are trying to fill via personal contact.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM

114 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Term Unemployed View Post
Age 54, too young to retire, too old to be hired. That is me!

I am at my wits end trying to find a job. Until early 2009 I was a successful business executive with a great job as a Operations Manager for a great company. That was until January 6th. I was pulled into my bosses office and told that I was being laid off for economic reasons. They just could not afford me anymore. My duties were fanned out to three different employees none of them had any experience or knowledge in my career.

I begged, I pleaded and screamed for them to reconsider. My boss just stared at me. Didn't say a word after his initial comments which were read off a script. I left in tears.

Fast forward to July 2010 and I have applied at hundreds of companies and only had 3 interviews. Once they saw my grey hair and wrinkles the interview was cut short. All my friends have cut me off and called me lazy. People talk about me behind my back. They say they know it is tough out there but think I am not trying hard enough. My relatives all have different points of view on my resume and give conflicting advice. My resume has been updated dozens of times.

Here is what I would like answered:

Should I dye my grey hair brown?

How far back should I go on my resume. 10 years, 20 years, 30 years?

What should I say I have been doing since January 2009?

How can I apply for jobs that pay half of what I was making when they would see my last salary was $76K.

If I fill out an on line employment application should I put my date of birth on it if they ask or make up a number? How about the year of my high school graduation?

Is there hope? Know any long term unemployed people in their 50s who got back on their feet?
You clearly have some issues. The fact that you "begged, pleaded, and screamed" when you were fired indicates that you are extremely unstable . If ALL of your friends have left your side, the problem is more than likely with you.

It also sounds like you jump to rash conclusions. You're 54 and claim that you're too old get hired. Girl, please. Retirement age for you at most places wouldn't be for at least 10 years. If you were 64, it might be a different story. Your age is a clear cop out from some other issue that is preventing you from being hired .

Pull it together and it will all work out!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
You clearly have some issues. The fact that you "begged, pleaded, and screamed" when you were fired indicates that you are extremely unstable . If ALL of your friends have left your side, the problem is more than likely with you.

Your age is a clear cop out from some other issue that is preventing you from being hired .

Pull it together and it will all work out!
Wow, just wow.
Geez, how would you like to be in your 50's and told something like that? Maybe I should wish something like that on you just so you can understand....
also, people are often mean and very fickle, they, those that have left her, feel like their status is being dragged down, hanging around an unemployed person.......that's wrong though.
Age discrimination is almost getting as bad as racial discrimination in the work place, maybe even worse.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Are we sure this isn't "Weekend Traveler", "email_lover", etc. trolling under a new name, story/situation and age? The fact that you're new here with a "username style" that is similar and saying things like "screaming and crying" and "all my friends cut me off and call me lazy" makes me very suspicious......a shame if I'm right given the mostly great responses here (except for the one who doesn't get the major age discrimination going on making job hunting almost impossible for anyone over 50 and to some extent even 40 or 45).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search