Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times

Advertisements

Thanks Camping Mom and Returning West for the kind words. I love how some people have no idea what their talking about. Guys who have worked 20 years same place. Or guys that have retired have not worked in years. And their are more then a few young people that have no idea too. They got lucky landed something real good out of college. So why can you not do it? These people love to give you their two cents. Or you should have majored in engineering or rocket scientists make good money. I mean get real the job market sucks. It is going to suck for years to come. But somehow lots of people think we are being lazy. That we are not looking hard enough. Hello the jobs are not there is anyone at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Entry-level has come to mean without experience, however some businesses cannot use someone with no experience, but in most cases they are still looking for skills or education. Think of an entry level surgeon, as a good example. Right after graduating from med school and internship. Someone off the street will not be hired for that job. Many companies that might have hired people to train for entry level jobs don't have to now. There's a significant cost to training, in lost production by the trainer, and when there are plenty of experienced people out of work that can step into a role it's not good business to hire the the inexperienced person.
Entry-level from a recruiter's marketing perspective refers only to the salary expected and not the amount of time spent working with a particular skill set. Job postings should never read "entry-level" or else it will automatically attract those desperate candidates with no experienced or very little experience even if the ad states, "entry-level w/2 yrs experience. It's a proven fallacy. It doesn't work as suggested in your other post on the other thread. That's the reason why experienced candidates who would be a good fit are not applying for the job(s).

I'll say it again and again, IF the job ad is misleading...the candidates will be misleading hoping that they will land an interview and hopefully show some potential in order to get that paycheck. So poor marketing and advertising cannot be the candidates fault. No way. I definitely know what works and that is posting a detailed straight to the point "No Bull" job posting AND phone screen the candidate before having them come in. The surgeon analogy just does not fit here.

From the consultant's standpoint I could never waste money which includes time and resources in this economy. Sure a truthful job posting gets fewer resumes and takes a bit longer to fill but at the end of the day if you are upfront and honest with a potential candidate they will know it and you both start off on the right foot to a hopefully rewarding placement for the candidate and commission or bonus for you.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I think a lot of time companies don't know or are delusional regarding what qualifications are essential for the job.

I've seen postings where they require years of experience with proprietary scientific software that only they are using. I've seen postings that demand 5 years experience using the exact model number of equipment they use. My personal favorite was the ad that was demanding 5 years experience with Windows Server 2008.

The truth is these companies think they are going to get someone who has been doing the exact same job they are doing there and not have to train them at all for entry level salary. A lot of times that isn't going to happen and they then whine about a shortage of qualified candidates.

Either train and develop new employees and pay them entry level salaries or pay big bucks to poach employees from your competitor. You can't do both even in this economy. A lot of times a decent driven employee doesn't take as long to train as they think.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Employers want a person that has recent experience.
Not everyone has recent experience, but does have experience!
Employers want a person who knows the computer programs they use.
Excel and Word are common programs, but not every company uses the same programs as other companies do! And, companies don't really want to train today.
Employers and Agencies don't take old/filled jobs off of their websites.
When a person sends a resume thru a website, but doesn't hear back about it, it doesn't necessarily mean the company/agency doesn't like your resume.......it could very well mean the job was filled a long time ago! And, they STILL don't take it off of their website!
So many companies want a Bachelor's Degree and/or a Certificate.
Gee, a lot of us can't afford to obtain either, but have the experience.

Ok, now if any of you on this forum have any other things to add to this, please do. This is a RANT type Thread.........so be my guest!
Employers want someone with a masters degree to pay $7.50 an hour.

Employers consider all unemployed people lazy regardless if the unemployed person has been in school, doing self-study, working part-time, or completing volunteer activities. Just the fact that you are unemployed, makes you lazy to an employer even if you are working your butt off.

Employers want ZERO gaps. It doesn't matter if you are taking care of sick relative, stay at home mom, or college student. If you have gaps, it is tough.

In my field, employers want someone who is willing to sleep with them. How else can you compete when you are interviewing with 50 other people?

Employers want someone tall and with big boobs. I thought about investing in a pair of high heels to see if it helps with my job search. I am kind of short. I always see tall teachers who have jobs.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I haven't had to apply for a job for 9 years, but I'm trying to find a job for my unemployed Mexican roommate (with a Green Card) who is far from fluent in English, and has no car even. How's that for a challenge!

Must have dependable truck or car. That one really kills me! Even if you have a brand new car, no car is dependable. If you apply and say you own a Prius, with a sticky accelerator pedal, you may be rejected for the job? They might move on to the next applicant driving an Infiniti?

By the time this 2nd Great Depression runs its course, we may have car ownership rates equivalent to Mexico: 80% down there don't even own a car.

And many of these on-call Property Maintenance jobs, which he'd excel in, are only paying $8-9 hour, and-and, must have your own expensive tools. Now how can you keep a car running and maintained today, and pay your rent and food, on those kind of wages!!!

His brother in Mexico owns a grocery store, and is telling him: Come down here, I'll pay you $150 a week to work in my store. And being down there, he has a house paid for (one-half rented out) and he's more and more leaning in that direction. I say: Go for it!

I know two other Mexicans who have returned to Mexico and are doing better down there, than they were up here.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search