Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM

326 posts, read 813,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Why not try waiting tables for a while? Some people are generous tippers. You're young and this is not such a bad job.
even to wait tables you need a resume with solid work history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM

326 posts, read 813,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think that instead of inventing hare-brained schemes of how to elaborately lie to employers, you'd be better off at understanding exactly what they're looking for and where the gaps are in your experience and skill set - and then taking the appropriate actions to try to address them. This depends on what kind of a job you're applying for.
You are right but my life is wasting and I can not keep living unemployed

Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think that instead of inventing hare-brained schemes of how to elaborately lie to employers, you'd be better off at understanding exactly what they're looking for and where the gaps are in your experience and skill set - and then taking the appropriate actions to try to address them. This depends on what kind of a job you're applying for.
Again...it doesn't matter how one addressed it. Employers see what they want to see.They really don't care for the reason one has a gap, and we're not going to spend fare money and time to be sitting there and be lectured about the gap. Why is this so hard to understand? I don't know, but if the "hare-brained schemes" work then maybe they're not hare-brained after all. At this point, many of us will try whatever we have to, and that includes any kind of schemes. It's a gap in TIME not experience and skill set. Employers don't care about experience and skill set. They obsess over the gaps. They want to get into things in the interview that having nothing to do with experience and skill set. This has been going on over and over again. Enough is enough. And I don't want to hear nonsense about "volunteering, community that...community this...." Please....that' not realistic.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
I think OP you need to get yourself together first before you go looking for jobs.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
You are right but my life is wasting and I can not keep living unemployed
I am sure you CAN keep living unemployed, you just don't want to. You have to do what you think is right, personally I think if you have to make up a story or fake experience to get a job then you are looking at too qualified a position. I know its tough out there and harder in some places than others, but if you are making up fake work experience to get a job, you have bigger problems than being unemployed.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 168,389 times
"personally I think if you have to make up a story or fake experience to get a job then you are looking at too qualified a position."

sometimes making up a story to bridge a gap on a resume or something else deters the interviewer from focusing on the negative rather than focusing on the fact that you DO have the exerience....however I agree that completely making up experience would in essence make you unqualified....but that, in theory, may not have any bearing on how succesful you are at the job

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleblack View Post
sometimes making up a story to bridge a gap on a resume or something else deters the interviewer from focusing on the negative rather than focusing on the fact that you DO have the experience....however I agree that completely making up experience would in essence make you unqualified....but that, in theory, may not have any bearing on how succesful you are at the job
Absolutely on point (ref to bolded). Completely making up experience is not something I would recommend. Stretching gaps and doing some other things suggested by the (realistic) others, yes. Bottom line is everyone from your local grocer to a Fortune500 exec has done this. I'm sure even your local priest or rabbi has too.

Man,seriously...just do what you gotta do. That's the bottom line. You are the one who puts food on your table and pays the bills, not the posters and moralist lecturers on this or any other thread.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
even to wait tables you need a resume with solid work history.
There's a lot of self-defeatist vibe coming out of you and that must change.

First step:
Fudge your resume up and make the two months into 6 to 8 months or something.

Second step:
Attend a couple or three interviews and see where that takes you.

1. You're either caught for cheating when they call your manager up and find out. Now you know this trick does not work for sure.
2. You get lucky and some dumbo hires you.

Some quick tactics would be to accept any hourly rate that comes your way. Or when they ask you of your lean work exposure, highlight the fact that you are quite young and that you badly need this job, and that you have good assimilation skills to quickly learn something with least amount of training, just bluff. Everybody wants prior experience, but one always has to get that prior experience somewhere.

How about malls, I see extremely young kids in the booths. Like 17/18 year olds and I am sure they got asked for prior experience and they somehow got the right answer across. Surely, if you live in a decent town, there is some place out there which has a job for you.

I went to this equestrian club in CO and found young school boys and girls in their late teens, working as horse guides and such. Surely, there is something out there. But first, the self-defeatism must go.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Again...it doesn't matter how one addressed it. Employers see what they want to see.They really don't care for the reason one has a gap, and we're not going to spend fare money and time to be sitting there and be lectured about the gap. Why is this so hard to understand? I don't know, but if the "hare-brained schemes" work then maybe they're not hare-brained after all. At this point, many of us will try whatever we have to, and that includes any kind of schemes. It's a gap in TIME not experience and skill set. Employers don't care about experience and skill set. They obsess over the gaps. They want to get into things in the interview that having nothing to do with experience and skill set. This has been going on over and over again. Enough is enough. And I don't want to hear nonsense about "volunteering, community that...community this...." Please....that' not realistic.
I tried to rep you

Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Seriously, why is this fact so hard to come to terms with? We're living in a world that plays dirty. If you want to put food on your table and survive you will have to play dirty at some point. You may need to play dirty a little bit as opposed to a lot.Is it better to go out and rob a bank/convenience store to feed yourself and your kids? Or is it better to put your friend's company on your resume and let him be your reference? I don't understand what all the hysteria on this board (on various similar threads) is about every time someone mentions padding, stretching or lying on the resume!!

You got a country where every politician lies; where Wall Street, F500 companies (we all know who they are) and the banks collapsed the economy and these people on here are having a stroke because someone chooses in a free capitalistic nation to manipulate their own resume in order to get a job and survive???? Are we for real?!? What someone does with their resume is their business. Lie, don't lie. It's better than becoming homeless and then a criminal. If I had to choose between hiring someone who padded their resume of having the same person "home invade" my house, rob it and do whatever, I think the choice is obvious.
If the choice is between lying on the resume and starving I would lie if necessary to get a job.

But how often is that the choice? Not very - and certainly not for the OP. The OP has access to a computer and the internet and doesn't seem to be in danger of starving.

A relative of mine has been convicted of DWI, writing hot checks, and is regularly fired from jobs. Yet she is always able to find work, usually in restaurants or retail. She is charming and looks good. Completely untrustworthy, but gets jobs all the time.

I suggest the OP learn to interview and present herself better. Don't lie, because unless you are awesome when you get a job, they'll fire you if they find out. You'll also be starting a pattern of behavior that is unethical and despicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search