U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM
 
300 posts, read 1,015,769 times
Reputation: 288

Advertisements

Hello, I was wondering about this topic lately because of the tough job market and economy. I've mainly been truthful about my skills and work history and most of the time I've been screwed up the know what. I want to start telling lies on my resume and interview because I feel that is the best way to get a job offer rather than to tell the truth and get screwed over. I want to put a company that is out of business on my resume and hopefully receive some phone calls/emails from employers/recruiters; they cannot contact the employer because they out of business. I know for a fact that A LOT of people lie on their resume and in interviews and most get away with it!!! I understand that some people will say that don't lie because it will come back to haunt you well I say so what??? Telling that lie got you the interview and the job offer. There are Fortune 500 company CEO's that have lied for example the former Yahoo CEO who lied about his computer science degree and even though he got fired he still got over 5 million dollars in pay!!!

What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Reputation: 32158
The topic has come up before.

For crappy get by jobs... lie through your teeth.
For real jobs that relate to what your quals and future should be... never lie.
You can be vague but you can't EVER lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
 
300 posts, read 1,015,769 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The topic has come up before.

For crappy get by jobs... lie through your teeth.
For real jobs that relate to what your quals and future should be... never lie.
You can be vague but you can't EVER lie.
Why can't you ever lie? I don't really understand because even Fortune 500 CEO's lie; plus HR and hiring managers aren't that honest either. I have to disagree with you ; I think that if you must lie than you have to back it up. About 30% of what you say during the interview HR is already assuming your lying anyways. I think it's also human nature to lie for example people under oath in court and also people lie when they return items they bought at the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
Reputation: 5583
I don't call it lying, I cal it "telling them what they want to hear."

As long as you somehow showed them that you're capable of doing the job actually do a good job, they won't care.

You will never be successful in life if you can't "embellish" things. The cold-hearted truth is boring and can hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
 
11,933 posts, read 21,513,618 times
Reputation: 11711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Why can't you ever lie? I don't really understand because even Fortune 500 CEO's lie; plus HR and hiring managers aren't that honest either. I have to disagree with you ; I think that if you must lie than you have to back it up. About 30% of what you say during the interview HR is already assuming your lying anyways. I think it's also human nature to lie for example people under oath in court and also people lie when they return items they bought at the store.
This guy speaks the truth. There was a great Bloomberg article on it.

The Stack: The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,723,583 times
Reputation: 3635
I say go for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
 
300 posts, read 1,015,769 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't call it lying, I cal it "telling them what they want to hear."

As long as you somehow showed them that you're capable of doing the job actually do a good job, they won't care.

You will never be successful in life if you can't "embellish" things. The cold-hearted truth is boring and can hurt.
I guess you can call lying what you want but in the end it's selling yourself and you know how salesman lie threw their teeth. I'm completely capable of a doing a job it's just that I don't have actual on the job experience so I should have put an out-of-business company on my resume saying that I did this, in order to prove myself. It's a sad world we live in but you do what you gotta do anyone oppose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Between amicable and ornery
1,097 posts, read 1,451,022 times
Reputation: 1468
I adamantly oppose!!! It's so sad that you are able to get people to agree with you to lie about something so easy to fix. If you don't have any experience...trying volunteering in the industry that you are trying to get into. I don't know what kind of industry you are in but I sure hope it doesn't influence other peoples liberties. I think we've all had to start at the bottom unless you are "fortunate" to have connections at the top. In a perfect world everyone would have personal moral character. I hope to god you're in the minority on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
 
300 posts, read 1,015,769 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I adamantly oppose!!! It's so sad that you are able to get people to agree with you to lie about something so easy to fix. If you don't have any experience...trying volunteering in the industry that you are trying to get into. I don't know what kind of industry you are in but I sure hope it doesn't influence other peoples liberties. I think we've all had to start at the bottom unless you are "fortunate" to have connections at the top. In a perfect world everyone would have personal moral character. I hope to god you're in the minority on this.
I'm sorry to break the news to you but the number of people who lie on their resume is alarming some recruiters estimate it at 90%!!!! I've had operations manager straight out lie to my face so why is it ok for managers to lie to my face but I can't? For it's lying to get ahead; it's playing the game and you know the sane don't hate the player hate the game. The problem is that it's not a perfect world in fact it can be downright cruel. Car salesman lie threw their teeth same with lawyers; what makes you think candidates won't lie during job interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I adamantly oppose!!! It's so sad that you are able to get people to agree with you to lie about something so easy to fix. If you don't have any experience...trying volunteering in the industry that you are trying to get into. I don't know what kind of industry you are in but I sure hope it doesn't influence other peoples liberties. I think we've all had to start at the bottom unless you are "fortunate" to have connections at the top. In a perfect world everyone would have personal moral character. I hope to god you're in the minority on this.
It is what it is. Businessmen (the employers) lie all of the time.

I would love to be the upstanding, moral person, but I know there are millions of other individuals who will stab me in the back in a hot second for their own personal gain (it's not me). As a result, in order to hang with the big dogs I have to scrap like a big dog.

That's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top