Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times

Advertisements

I may be looking for a job soon, I have been with the same employer for 8 years, flawless record, but there are rumors of downsizing, etc so I am preparing my resume.

I went back through my records and found names and phone numbers of old bosses and called around to them to make sure they were still accurate.

I was amazed at what I found. I need guidance on how to proceed:

1. Last previous employer: boss no longer works there, no former colleagues I have contact info for apparently work there. How to handle references?

2. A previous employer before #1: Called, same situation as #1, however, HR has no record of me even working there!!! When I get home, I will look through my files and see if I have any W2's from this company. How to handle employment verification and references? I worked there for 2 years. What the hell?

3. Another previous employer before #1 and #2. Company is no longer in business. I have no contacts. How to handle employment verification and references?

4. Another previous employer before #1,#2 and #3, was a temp agency, they do employment verification through "the work number" which is a for-profit company which does background checks. In order to validate employment, you have to PAY them (WTF!!).

So I have several issues which could lead up to a big hole in my employment history. I am most concerned about #2, how can a company lose the info on former employees. I was under the impression they have to keep W4 and I9 forms for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Classic confusion between employment references and professional references.

For employment references, your obligation is to provide the name of the company, the dates of employment, and your salary and position. This is what you provide on your resume or in the work history section of an application form. It doesn't matter if you know anyone that currently works there. The only thing a potential employer will be checking on is what is in a file, and they will simply ask for HR who will look in the file and provide said information. If they've gone out of business, there's nothing you can do. It's not like you can make something up, or compel the company to go back into business.

It is your professional references that you need to keep track of. Those you should always stay in touch with and make sure you have current contact information and that they are still willing to serve as a reference. These are the names that you should provide when a potential employer asks for your references. It is OK if your references have moved on to work elsewhere. You don't need to provide the name of their new employer, as they are not speaking on behalf of their new employer but rather on your history at a past employer..

As for the company that has no record of you working there, did you perhaps work under a different name? Or give them the wrong dates of employment to them? If you can prove that you worked there, you might try calling HR back and stating that you have proof and would appreciate it if they would correct their files so as not to provide erroneous information should anyone contact them to verify. It would be illegal for them to falsely state that you did not work there when you did (you might need to remind them of this). I bet you simply talked to someone who didn't know their way around the files; when you call back ask to speak to the HR director or senior-most person.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM

Yes, ultimately I did contact HR in each instance except #3 because they were out of business.

Is there some sort of time limit that companies are required to keep these kind of records? This sort of false info being provided could keep me from potentially getting a job.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
There is no law requiring any record keeping, however, if audited by the IRS it would certainly be helpful to have that information. If the business was sold and kept the same name, the new owner would not want or need the previous owner's old payroll information. Maybe that's what happened.

Many a former employer has gone under, just be honest and if asked for address/phone of previous employers no longer in business, just say "no longer in business."

Make sure that if asked, you can provide at least 3 personal references, non-relatives that you have known 10 years, preferably one or more a former co-worker, supervisor or customer that you have remained in contact with.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Ok, I have verified I have W2's or 1099's from all of these employers for these years and I have a situation where at least 2 of them gave incorrect data to prospective employers. How can I correct this situation?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
You know all that whining recently about employers using CREDIT checks?
This is the real reason.

Although some jobs may have issues that good/bad credit may *also* have impact on...
the real merit of the credit check is the accuracy and independent legitimacy of the raw data.

HOW that data gets used, how sophisticated or obtuse a given HR person may be in interpreting it...
well, that is a whole other can of worms.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Ok, I have verified I have W2's or 1099's from all of these employers for these years and I have a situation where at least 2 of them gave incorrect data to prospective employers. How can I correct this situation?
I'd say you are probably out of luck for those already called. If you go back and try to correct it now the employers are going to drop you like a hot potato, it just sounds too much like attempted fraud. What you could do is write to the former employers who had no record of you, with copies of
the W2s, asking that they correct their records and verify your employment correctly when asked in the future. Better yet have a lawyer send the letters for you.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You know all that whining recently about employers using CREDIT checks?
This is the real reason.

Although some jobs may have issues that good/bad credit may *also* have impact on...
the real merit of the credit check is the accuracy and independent legitimacy of the raw data.

HOW that data gets used, how sophisticated or obtuse a given HR person may be in interpreting it...
well, that is a whole other can of worms.
How will a credit check help this? Does a credit check also show employment? I dont know because honestly I dont have one in front of me to look at. Also a credit check goes back 7 years only correct?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
How will a credit check help this?
My comment was overly broad and should have been qualified some.
It is meant to address the unwillingness of many prior employers to respond to HR inquiries...
even when they have the data (that only peripherally affects your specific problem).

Quote:
Does a credit check also show employment?
It can infer employment.
Reading a CR is like doing detective work.

A simplistic example:
Applicant asserts they had an (unverifed) job betw dates X and Y.
Report shows a series of consumer credit issues during that same period.
HR may ask for more detail if applicant is especially well qualified; but most will just stop right there.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 AM

I see what you are saying, I have 3 credit cards but rarely use them and almost never carry a balance, I pretty much exclusively use my debit card which would not show up. I suppose.

I will have to look back through my bills if I still have them back that far, but I dont think I have carried a CC balance in years, if I use them I pay them off immediately. I also bought my last new vehicle in 2005 with cash, so I would have no auto loan. I do have my mortgage which also is current since I bought it in 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search