Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Do you admire people who work a full time AND a part time job?

Or do you feel jealous and or annoyed? (as in maybe someone else could use that second job?)

Any feelings at all?

What if you find out the person has a VERY good paying full time job and a decent part time job.

What if this person is over 60 years old?

I'm curious at other people's reactions/thoughts.

My mother is over 60 and has one full time job and a part time one. The thing is though it's all she does is work because she really doesn't have any other interests and can't just sit around. There have also been a lot of huge misfortunes my family has gone through lately and she contributes to them financially. She is not paid all that much from the second job, but she does enjoy it. I'm not so sure it's a lifestyle to be envious of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 21,044 times
I'll say kudos to being active and contributing to society at that age. I hope I'll be as healthy and strong to be working two jobs when I reached such age. It's very positive in my eyes than to hear people spending their days in front of the TV.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Actually wouldn't bother me at all, at least they are trying!

I'm almost 60, lost my job and would love to be working full time! But apparently too old for anybody to want.

I think the thing that bothers me more is when I go somewhere that I applied to and got rejected and am waited on by someone who DID get the job and they are an idiot or are too busy yapping or complaining to their co-worker to bother with me! Ran into that at a the local big home improvement store that opened just up the road.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
People do what they have to do, it's tough times, and employers know it so they aren't always so generous .... It's hard to save money when you don't make a lot of money, and therefore, some of us need to work 2 jobs for now

Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Hope when you land a job it pays enough that you won't have to do the same.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM

434 posts, read 552,576 times
Maybe they got the part time job just because it's something they enjoy. It could be something like someone who works in a trade, and works a couple evening shifts a week at menards.

Maybe a couple people opened a small business but still kept their daytime jobs, and both work some shifts at the store they own.

Some people who work at retail jobs really enjoy working at one. Maybe they like talking to some customers when they come it. That's a way to be social and see people without having to go out all the time.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Guess I'll be the odd man out and say yes it does bother me at times.
Like when we had a guy that came around every week, for weeks on end, to see if we had an opening for him. He was worried about losing his house. Meanwhile we have at least two employees who don't need to work, one does it because she want's to get out of the house and feel useful (volunteer work anyone?) and the other does it to earn a little "mall money".
Yeah, not my business, but I still can't help feeling for that guy and others like him that won't get a chance because other people want to use a job as a social outlet or for earning extra money for little luxuries.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM

434 posts, read 552,576 times
More people need to start opening their own businesses.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
I certainly wouldn't get jealous or annoyed either. If anything I'd worry that they'd get burned out, but really, that's none of my business.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
[quote=lonewanderer;22768936]I would be wondering how they got the part time job. I don't see it happening right now, because most places seem to want someone to be available to work at any time if necessary.[/quote]

That's what I'd think, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search