Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM

18 posts, read 21,099 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new here. I am glad to find this forum. I'm sorry that this is so long.
After 13 years at home (wife and mother) it's time for me to go back to work. Wow, it has been horrible. I have heard that employers don't like to hire people that have been out of work for a long time, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.
My past jobs have been production work in a 'mill'. These aren't around anymore. I have also had 10 yrs experience in 'quality auditor/inspector'.
As far as I know, there aren't any quality auditor jobs since all the mills have moved to China.
I have also had a few little part time jobs before these.
People say there's no jobs out there. Well, there are at least 84 of them. I look on 8 job listing sites every day. The jobs are there, but too many people applying for them I guess. Maybe this is the main problem in my situation?
I started in October looking for a job. I don't live near any huge cities, which I know is a part of the problem.
I have applied to every job I can find. I am keeping a list of all of them, calling them back to update, going to some of them in person, reapplying when necessary.
I just can't figure out what the problem is. I have applied to restaurants, grocery stores, hospitals, retail stores, drug stores, 4 temp agencies, gas stations, motels, retail merchandiser, schools, custodial, and I can't remember the rest right off hand.
I have just found a quality inspection job (which really surprises me) in a city where I want to work. I do have most of the qualifications and experience that this job lists, but not all. But, this company is something about cars, welding, etc (doesn't list the specifics of this job) and my experience has been with manufacturing computer chips (ceramic chip capacitors) and towels.
I am wondering if this will matter? I wonder if they will see that since I know most of the job, they would be willing to train me for the rest? Or if it would matter that I haven't worked in this type of job before?
Another thing, should I list every job I've had on a resume, or only the jobs that apply to this job? If you don't list every job, won't this look bad, they will think I haven't worked much?
Sorry this is so long and thanks for any help you can give!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
The thing that stands out to me is that you're applying to easy-entry jobs. These kinds of jobs have the highest competition for seats. You may want to attain skills to apply for jobs of difficult entry.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
After 13 years away, I'd try to volunteer at a local hospital or charitable organization. Most likely, without recent employment experience, which equals less than recent employment references, you are losing to people who do have recent experience. Volunteering can bridge the gap, plus, many hospitals hire first from the volunteers they know, whose work they like, before looking externally. I have a retired sibling who volunteered for 2 years, was hired at about $14 an hour, and when he relocated and quit, they hired another volunteer whose work they also regarded highly. From his ex department, which had 12 volunteers in it, through the few years he worked there, 6 were hired into permanent positions, all of which were elgible for full benefits.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
I would suggest having someone look at your resume. I'm not a huge fan of professional reviews, but do you have a friend that would be willing to look over it? Someone who hires people or who successfully found a job recently. While things are tough I feel like applying to 84 jobs and getting nothing is on the extreme end. Especially if you are applying to places like restaurants, retail and hotels that tend to be in constant hiring mode.

Have you had any interviews?? What did the temp agencies you went to say? Did they flat out say no or just never call with any work?

Should you list every job?? Well, it depends on what these jobs were and what job you are applying to.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
beth98, No one is in constant hiring mode. The labor report which came out Friday indicated retail lost 34,000 positions in March alone. I'm not saying resume reviews cannot help, but I'm also not amazed at the lack of response.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 PM

I have had one interview. He said I'm what they are looking for, but the reason he didn't hire me is because even though the shift ended at 3pm, and I had to pick up my child from school by 3:30, he would be leery of that because what if the person coming in to work after me was late? I coudln't stay until the person got there. That is so lame. He could have come up with a better one than that.
At the temp agencies, all you do is fill out a LOT of papers for the application, call each Monday to be put on their job list, and wait for them to call you. Nothing.
In my area, the entry level jobs are all that's here. It is rare that any jobs come open above this level.
When the mills closed around there that had over 20,000 employees, I keep wondering where did they all go??

Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Have you tried snagajob.com? That site has tons of listings for easy entry level positions.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 PM

yes, I've looked at that site almost every day for 5 months. I have applied for a lot of jobs listed on there, too.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
beth98, No one is in constant hiring mode. The labor report which came out Friday indicated retail lost 34,000 positions in March alone.
And restaurants and hotels added 39,000 in March. Even if retail lost jobs, these are high turn over jobs where their is a need for new people fairly regularly even if there is a net loss of jobs. Plus the OP was looking over the holidays. I'm just suggesting that it might be time to look at the resume or try something different.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisymay View Post
I have had one interview.
When the mills closed around there that had over 20,000 employees, I keep wondering where did they all go??
Well, that could be a part of your problem even if the mills closed years ago. I wouldn't mention times when you have to pick your son up in an interview, just say you have adequate child care.

I would definitely apply to the job you mentioned. You have nothing to lose. Have you tried to get any leads through networking with friends, family or previous co-workers? Sometimes jobs don't even get posted or they are post with someone in mind because employers hire based on referrals from current employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search