Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisymay View Post
I have had one interview. He said I'm what they are looking for, but the reason he didn't hire me is because even though the shift ended at 3pm, and I had to pick up my child from school by 3:30, he would be leery of that because what if the person coming in to work after me was late?
May, go back to that guy and tell him you fixed your child care PROBLEM. That is exactly what it is, to him. And then get it done. Millions of single parents do it.

Why was his candid explanation lame, to you? Are you really THAT used to issuing your terms and having the world rush to accommodate your wants?

You want to work? Lose the problems before you walk in the door. Nobody is special enough to warrant special consideration. Get over your thinking that this is lame, or that is lame. It is what it is, and this is tne new normal. The jobs left, and those of the former mill workers who are left behind scramble over one another for a shot at the remaining jobs while not presenting themselves as problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
May, go back to that guy and tell him you fixed your child care PROBLEM. That is exactly what it is, to him. And then get it done. Millions of single parents do it.

Why was his candid explanation lame, to you? Are you really THAT used to issuing your terms and having the world rush to accommodate your wants?

You want to work? Lose the problems before you walk in the door. Nobody is special enough to warrant special consideration. Get over your thinking that this is lame, or that is lame. It is what it is, and this is tne new normal. The jobs left, and those of the former mill workers who are left behind scramble over one another for a shot at the remaining jobs while not presenting themselves as problems.
I disapprove of the above post.

This is just mean and disrespectful to someone that has a child - children always come first, and no, they are not a problem.

The attitudes of ppl like the above poster is exactly what's wrong with this country, and if this isn't fixed soon, we're going down, and fast.

I weep for this nation.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:29 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
Quote:

You want to work? Lose the problems before you walk in the door. Nobody is special enough to warrant special consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

This is just mean and disrespectful to someone that has a child - children always come first, and no, they are not a problem.
If it meant putting food on the table for my children I would do what I had to do to get the job and probably wouldn't have mentioned the "Oh I have to pick up my kids at 3:30" because it served no purpose other than to tell the employer that you might have issues coming or going to/from work and/or be unavailable to work extended hours.

Job market is bad enough... employers aren't looking for people that are going to have issues.

BTW, I don't have kids.. and I enjoy the freedom that it provides. But good luck OP.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Generally speaking retail and food service want people with full availability. I'm guessing that you have very limited hours you are available. If you aren't willing to work weekends, you aren't going to get hired for those types of jobs.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:

I agree with this post.

If I were interviewing someone with kids in a daycare or school situation, it would be important to me to know that they had a plan and backup. I wouldn't not hire someone with kids of course, IF I know that the kids aren't going to affect their job performance. That means having a plan for when the kids are sick, when school is closed but we are not, or for now and then when I need the employee to work late.

I want to hear something along the lines of, "These hours work well for me as my child gets home at 3:30. I do have a neighbor/in-law/friend who will watch my child until I can get home if I need to stay late every now and then. My mother is retired and will stay with my child if they are sick." That reassures me that the candidate has actually thought about it and has a plan.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree with this post.

If I were interviewing someone with kids in a daycare or school situation, it would be important to me to know that they had a plan and backup. I wouldn't not hire someone with kids of course, IF I know that the kids aren't going to affect their job performance. That means having a plan for when the kids are sick, when school is closed but we are not, or for now and then when I need the employee to work late.

I want to hear something along the lines of, "These hours work well for me as my child gets home at 3:30. I do have a neighbor/in-law/friend who will watch my child until I can get home if I need to stay late every now and then. My mother is retired and will stay with my child if they are sick." That reassures me that the candidate has actually thought about it and has a plan.
I understand why you agree with the premise of that post, but don't you think that's a bit condescending? That's what makes me so about the whole jobs thing, that everything's "problem" to the employer, and there's no room for human compassion whatsoever.

Guess the almighty dollar really is our God in this country. Well then, I'm going to be a devout atheist from now on, as that's one god I refuse to bow down to.

You and a few other posters on this board sure aren't going to be getting any positive karma points from me...lol.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
jane-smith73"It is what it is, and this is tne new normal."

Amen. We all need to adapt to reality, not a fantasy image we have of the real world. Excellent post, by the way. And yes, no one should expect special treatment.

Yes, NorthStar, the needs of the business come first when hiring, as they should. They are spending their hard-earned MONEY, not yours, not mine. Like any customer, the customer is the reason the salespersons job exists, not vice versa. So like any other PROBLEM which could interfere with doing the job for every minute of every day it is required, planning before the interview regarding how to resolve the issue is essential. To not do so tells the employer you are only taking what you get from him seriously, but not what you can do for him. Labor is barter, w/o showing gains to be had BOTH ways, neither side is happy. Indicating one cannot cover occassional 2nd shift needs is not indicative of being able to FULLY do the job.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
jane-smith73"It is what it is, and this is tne new normal."

Amen. We all need to adapt to reality, not a fantasy imahe we have of the real world. Excellent post, by the way. And yes, no one should expect special treatment.
Good lord, I just can't believe you people.

This country isn't going to be long for the world - now that that money > people.

<blasting all kinds of negative karma energy in your direction>

Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree with this post.

If I were interviewing someone with kids in a daycare or school situation, it would be important to me to know that they had a plan and backup.

Agree. I've been in the same situation as an employer many times and have never had a problem with many mothers who've stated this from the onset. Conversely, when someone in a similar situation has come in for an interview and said right off the bat, "How important is it that I be here right at 5PM because my husband doesn't always get home early enough to watch the kids and I might be late here and there", I'd pass them over in favor of another applicant because in the business I was running that just wouldn't work. When a job's hours are clearly advertised it means that those are the hours you're needed so don't apply if you can't work them.

Hope you find something soon, sisymay!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Agree. I've been in the same situation as an employer many times and have never had a problem with many mothers who've stated this from the onset. Conversely, when someone in a similar situation has come in for an interview and said right off the bat, "How important is it that I be here right at 5PM because my husband doesn't always get home early enough to watch the kids and I might be late here and there", I'd pass them over in favor of another applicant because in the business I was running that just wouldn't work. When a job's hours are clearly advertised it means that those are the hours you're needed so don't apply if you can't work them.

Hope you find something soon, sisymay!

Yet another poster that worships the god of money - perhaps I should break out my American flag and hang it upside-down in front of my house for all the world to see, as we're clearly a nation in distress.

'Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search