Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you work for a company who hires x Felony Convicts
Yes I Would 16 69.57%
No I Would Not 2 8.70%
Don"t Know For Sure 4 17.39%
I Would Be Looking Somewhere Else For A Job 1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Where would they find jobs and work so they could support themselves
with honest wages worked for ? ? ?
Not my problem. Rapists never change, and I'm not going to hire one so they can turn around and assault myself or one of my employees. If they wandered into the desert and died it wouldn't break my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Well, for one, sometimes those felons will work harder and more efficiently then some of those that havent committed a crime. Also the company gets a tax break for hiring them. These are 2 possible reasons.
NO, we don't always get tax breaks for hiring them. That's a fallacy.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
NO, we don't always get tax breaks for hiring them. That's a fallacy.
Yes we do always get a tax break for hiring them... Not a fallacy

Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC), Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Because they are people just like you,
and they may be more qualified ! ! !
People who commit violent crimes aren't "like me."

That said, one of our employees has a domestic on their record, they got into a drunken push and shove with their SO and both got hauled off to jail. The chances of that person ever committing an assault on the job are minimal and they had great experience--there was no reason to not hire them.

But there's no way I'm hiring a rapist*, a kid toucher, someone who went berserk and bludgeoned his mailman with a shovel because he didn't get a letter he was expecting, someone who stole from a previous employer, someone who was convicted of assault due to a physical altercation with a coworker or customer--or most assaults for that matter, the list goes on. When people make bad choices they need to live with the consequences.

*Romeo and Juliet situations aside, I'd never hold it against someone who was arrested at 18 for having consentual sex with their 17 year old boy/girlfriend, that's a waste of taxpayers money to prosecute.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes we do always get a tax break for hiring them... Not a fallacy
"Ex-felon -- individual who was convicted of a felony and who is hired within one year after the conviction
or release from prison"

I get no tax credit for someone who as convicted of a felony over a year ago and has been out of jail for over a year. So yes, it is a fallacy.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Ex-felon -- individual who was convicted of a felony and who is hired within one year after the conviction
or release from prison

I get no tax credit for someone who as convicted of a felony over a year ago and has been out of jail for over a year. What is my incentive to hire that person when there are plenty of other non-felons who are equally qualified?
Then maybe you need to tell your boss into looking into tax breaks he/she may still be able to receive even if it has been more then a year.

I receive a tax break on every ex-felon I hire. Do I hire many? no, but I have hired a couple of them. The two I have hired, have been my best employees.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Then maybe you need to tell your boss into looking into tax breaks he/she may still be able to receive even if it has been more then a year.

I receive a tax break on every ex-felon I hire. Do I hire many? no, but I have hired a couple of them. The two I have hired, have been my best employees.
I am the boss. We have a half a dozen ex-felons working for us. Most had drug related offenses, one had the domestic, another had a breaking and entering 30-some years ago when he was a very young adult. We don't get any sort of tax credit for any of them. If someone who had just gotten out of jail for drug related offenses applies, I'd hire them as long as they were qualified and passed regular random drug screens. But I'm not hiring a rapist, kid toucher or most assault or murder convictions. They aren't worth the risk.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I am the boss. We have a half a dozen ex-felons working for us. Most had drug related offenses, one had the domestic, another had a breaking and entering 30-some years ago when he was a very young adult. We don't get any sort of tax credit for any of them. If someone who had just gotten out of jail for drug related offenses applies, I'd hire them as long as they were qualified and passed regular random drug screens. But I'm not hiring a rapist, kid toucher or most assault or murder convictions. They aren't worth the risk.
For one, I never said you should hire a rapist, a child molester or anything like that now did I? No, I didn't

Then maybe you should do some more checking and see about possible tax breaks you could get.

I receive a tax break for the 2 I hired. and both of them were out of prison over 5 years prior to me hiring them, plus I get a bond on them from the department of labor.

I am not sure if you think you are the only employer on here and therefore you think you are the one and only authority so just because you say it is one way, it has to be that way, but sorry to inform you, but this is not the case.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
I hire them all the time. Most are still on parole/probation while working here. Yes, I, like annerk, do draw the line on sex crimes. and how long ago. Im no judge, and when theyve paid their debt by jail time, why should we keep punishing them by not giving them a job, and forcing the recividism to happen. Most learn after the first time, some, can't get a second chance and it causes them to go back to whatever it was in the first place that made them money in the past.
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search