Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Comes in punctually with appropriate attire, displays politeness, does not say inappropriate things in other words isn't a complete putz. If they cannot at least accomplish that then yea there is an obvious problem. Beyond that you really can't tell.
Eh I don't think that's good enough. Employees who are problems(have tempers for instance) can have quite a large negative impact on a workplace. It's worth it to try and weed them out.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
9 out of 10, the problem is YOU. Yes, the problem is you.

I have been doing a lot of hiring lately. I really wish most of them have gone through some interview training. Most would have been hired if they learn how to say the right thing and know to keep the mouth shut.

When you are called to an interview, the employer WANTS to hire you!!! You, on the other hand, just keep screwing it up. :-(
Nope, the problem is not me it's the fact that I don't have connections that can pull strings for me. I guarantee you that if your immediate family member or relative works for a major company you want a job with, you could be a total tool and still land the gig over other qualified candidates.

As far as interviewing goes, I have been told by employers outside of the interview room that I was one of the best they have seen all day or from my school where they recruit at. The problem is the interviewer!

Having to sit there for over half an hour while my interviewer shoots off a text/email. Really, are you effing kidding me?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
9 out of 10, the problem is YOU. Yes, the problem is you.

I have been doing a lot of hiring lately. I really wish most of them have gone through some interview training. Most would have been hired if they learn how to say the right thing and know to keep the mouth shut.

When you are called to an interview, the employer WANTS to hire you!!! You, on the other hand, just keep screwing it up. :-(
My daughter started a job a month ago as a bank teller. She is still in college, so it's part time. However, now that she's been there a month, some of the others told her why she was hired. The biggest thing was that she dressed professionally. Not a suit, but a plain black skirt with a button-down white blouse and nice shoes. They told her that so many people came in dressed in jeans or other inappropriate clothing for an interview. Then they told her that the interviewee before her had come in to the bank and just plopped herself down in a chair and started texting. Didn't approach anyone, didn't announce herself. When a customer service rep asked her if she needed help, she said, "No, I'm just waiting for my interview" and went back to texting. The guy who was interviewing heard this conversation and didn't even want to interview her at that point, but went through the motions. Of course she was not hired.

It makes me cringe to think that so many of our youth are this stupid, but on the other hand, I realize these nitwits are my daughter's competition for the future, so it might just work out for her.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I'm really undecided on these things I would agree interviews are somewhat non technical in nature but after working with a few difficult peopele I feel they are impt to weed out those who are absolutely miserable to work with who many people will avoid(which makes them less efficient) and some will even quit(I have considered it).
Plus when u say your interviewer couldn't do your job so she shouldn't be interviewing. If she could why would they need you?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
People who "do the job" are the ones most capable of finding the best employee for that specific position for hire.
Having interviewers who have no clue what the technical details of the job requires makes no sense and is a sign of lazy and inefficient hiring process.

The best (most efficient) companies I've worked /work for have the head of that dept or someone very knowledgeable with the job position (someone promoted from that available position) do the interviews and hiring themselves.

Not to mention if you're looking for someone who can get along with other co-workers in the same dept, who else but someone in that dept. can make a better evaluation of whether they may get along with others there or not?

The reality is that many corporations have too many depts. resulting in the dreaded corporate "red tape" that prevents things from getting done quickly and efficiently.

Last edited by raymond2; 08-12-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

I once had an interview with a woman who yawned the entire time she was interviewing me. I finally said, "you seem tired". She said, "I always feel so sleepy after lunch". It was obvious that they had a candidate selected (it was an internal interview within the company for which I already worked) and she was just going through the motions. I finally stood up and said, "Well, I guess I should be going now," or something similar and she just continued yawning. Idiot.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-15-2012 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned section

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter started a job a month ago as a bank teller. She is still in college, so it's part time. However, now that she's been there a month, some of the others told her why she was hired. The biggest thing was that she dressed professionally. Not a suit, but a plain black skirt with a button-down white blouse and nice shoes. They told her that so many people came in dressed in jeans or other inappropriate clothing for an interview. Then they told her that the interviewee before her had come in to the bank and just plopped herself down in a chair and started texting. Didn't approach anyone, didn't announce herself. When a customer service rep asked her if she needed help, she said, "No, I'm just waiting for my interview" and went back to texting. The guy who was interviewing heard this conversation and didn't even want to interview her at that point, but went through the motions. Of course she was not hired.

It makes me cringe to think that so many of our youth are this stupid, but on the other hand, I realize these nitwits are my daughter's competition for the future, so it might just work out for her.
Glad it helped her. Maybe you can also take a look at this thread and give her more motivation to advance in her career.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...0-000-per.html

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Glad it helped her. Maybe you can also take a look at this thread and give her more motivation to advance in her career.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...0-000-per.html
I don't think she wants a career in banking. She is a Mandarin and Linguistics major and is thinking of possibly working for the FBI or CIA. But, you never know. The Chinese banks could buy this country--maybe she should look a little deeper.

I think I've posted in that thread. I make more than $100K a year, just over, but it took me a long time to get there. I've been working for 33 years, and I didn't go to college. Nowadays, however, there are few chances to work your way up from clerical to management without a degree. I certainly hope she does better than I did!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
People who "do the job" are the ones most capable of finding the best employee for that position.
True. And the HR people are the best at finding the people who will fit in with the culture of the company. Usually when I am involved in the process, I am either the person who screens the people or I am the 2nd interview. However, I either screen for "culture fit" and allow the more technical people to screen for the tech stuff. Or, I allow the tech people to screen for that skillset and then interview for the best cultural fit.

And I am sorry, both matter. A great tech person who objects to working weekends IS going to have an issue with a job that has a company culture of working on Saturdays. It is just the way it is. And the tech people know what skills they REALLY need vs. the ones that can be taught. The HR people know the culture...and the things that you don't even think about just take advantage of or complain about...and how to find people who will fit both.

Think of the person you worked with who always complained. Did the person complain about the management? Sometimes...but they also often complain about things that are the company culture. The OT, the expectations that you go out with the boss or that the team never goes out together, the coffee that should or should not be supplied, whether or not there is a janitorial service (I have had ALL of these complaints). A bad fit WILL cause an issue because that person complains about going out with the office, or about not going out with them, etc. And the person complains about things that the rest of the team are accustomed to....this is culture. Like it or not, the HR people are better at finding this match than the tech people.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
True. And the HR people are the best at finding the people who will fit in with the culture of the company. Usually when I am involved in the process, I am either the person who screens the people or I am the 2nd interview. However, I either screen for "culture fit" and allow the more technical people to screen for the tech stuff. Or, I allow the tech people to screen for that skillset and then interview for the best cultural fit.

And I am sorry, both matter. A great tech person who objects to working weekends IS going to have an issue with a job that has a company culture of working on Saturdays. It is just the way it is. And the tech people know what skills they REALLY need vs. the ones that can be taught. The HR people know the culture...and the things that you don't even think about just take advantage of or complain about...and how to find people who will fit both.

Think of the person you worked with who always complained. Did the person complain about the management? Sometimes...but they also often complain about things that are the company culture. The OT, the expectations that you go out with the boss or that the team never goes out together, the coffee that should or should not be supplied, whether or not there is a janitorial service (I have had ALL of these complaints). A bad fit WILL cause an issue because that person complains about going out with the office, or about not going out with them, etc. And the person complains about things that the rest of the team are accustomed to....this is culture. Like it or not, the HR people are better at finding this match than the tech people.
Whether hiring people "specifically" to determine "corporate culture" assimilation is necessary is debateable.

It's not rocket science.
The people already doing the job can determine all that by themselves and many successful businesses & companies don't need separate depts for that.

Having large HR depts to do hiring for "cultural compatability" seems to be a luxury for companies that can afford it, not that it's an absolute necessity. Even companies that have those luxuries now, certainly didn't have nor need them when they were growing and hired people who worked for them all by themselves.
It's just more corporate red tape and baggage when large companies lose the "intimacy" between employer & employee they had when they were growing. Some psychologist would no doubt argue that every company should have a psychology dept to determine corporate mental fitness as well.

Fact is that every large corporation I've worked for hires too many people who don't even know what they really do when asked or have 3-4 people doing the exact same job that only 1 of them needs to do. You didn't have that kind of foolishness when those companies were smaller.

You need HR to enter and maintain employee info in their computer database, keeping track of new & old employee records, etc... and you need HR to hire other HR personel when they need to. But no company really needs HR to actually hire people outside their own dept.

I've hired people myself to work in my dept, I didn't need to be hired to do that.
I also made pretty good judgments whether they would "fit in" with the rest of us... I didn't need any special training to figure that out.

Last edited by raymond2; 08-12-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Whether hiring people "specifically" to determine "corporate culture" assimilation is necessary is debateable.

It's not rocket science.
The people already doing the job can determine all that by themselves and many successful businesses & companies don't need separate depts for that.
Having large HR depts to do hiring for "cultural compatability" seems to be a luxury for companies, not that it's an absolute necessity.
Some psychologist would no doubt argue that every company should have a psychologist dept to determine corporate mental fitness as well.

You need someone to do the paperwork of course... and you need HR to hire other HR personel to file the paperwork.

I've hired people myself to work in my dept, I didn't need to be hired to do that.
I also made pretty good judgments whether they would "fit in" with the rest of us... I don't need any special training to figure that out.

I consider myself a pretty good judge of character but I always like to listen to what HR has to say. I have been through an organization where HR only sends resumes and arrange for interviews. I hated that. I really like the insight they give me. I particularly like to hear what a female interviewer would say because females are more sensitive to non-verbal cues.

HR is one of most important department in a company. If you read Jack Welch's Winning, you would know what a HR department should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search