Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 10:20 AM

23,525 posts, read 24,006,421 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, Hireright checks with available public databases, that could include government databases. Criminal, education, employment, credit (and others) databases are checked against the information the candidate provides in their resume and job applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdome912 View Post
How does Hireright verify employment history? Do they cross-check with any other government documents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 08:29 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslngr View Post

If this job opportunity is lost I'm going to be really pissed. I've worked hard to keep clean record, and have proven in the past that I'm trustworthy to US government vendors. Do NOT use these jokers!
I would toss the whole situation back to the employer in HR, telling them of the problems you are having. They've hired this company to do the work and if they aren't doing it properly, they need to know. Don't just sit there and wait for it not to work out and be upset. Tell HR now.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:36 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Currently suffering through a HireRight background screening myself. First I get an email stating that one of my past managers has been unresponsive to outreach and for me to provide additional contact information for them. Also that I cannot change who I've listed as a reference at this point. I nicely prodded my former manager and she obliged but that's a terrible way to deal with professional references, IMHO.

Next, they claim they find a "discrepancy" with a former employer because Company A was acquired by Company B and I only listed Company B in my resume. I've worked for several companies throughout my professional career that were acquired and many of these companies who were acquired no longer exist so I simply listing the acquiring company in my resume. That, to me, is in no way hiding anything or being untruthful. Guess maybe going forward I need to list "Company B (formerly Company A" on my resume??? Anyone else run into this?

Old 05-22-2021, 11:37 AM

I ran into a similar situation with HireRight. I worked for Company B, which was acquired by Company A.
I listed Company B on my HireRight forms, as I was not aware of the acquisition by Company A, as the acquisition was several years after I left Company B.

When the background check came back, HireRight could not find a record of Company B in it’s searches and notified the HR department of the hiring company. I received a call and email from HR requesting me to contact them.

I called HR and explained the situation to them, and they pretty much informed me that this situation occurs quite frequently and that it’s a “non issue.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Currently suffering through a HireRight background screening myself. First I get an email stating that one of my past managers has been unresponsive to outreach and for me to provide additional contact information for them. Also that I cannot change who I've listed as a reference at this point. I nicely prodded my former manager and she obliged but that's a terrible way to deal with professional references, IMHO.

Next, they claim they find a "discrepancy" with a former employer because Company A was acquired by Company B and I only listed Company B in my resume. I've worked for several companies throughout my professional career that were acquired and many of these companies who were acquired no longer exist so I simply listing the acquiring company in my resume. That, to me, is in no way hiding anything or being untruthful. Guess maybe going forward I need to list "Company B (formerly Company A" on my resume??? Anyone else run into this?

Old 05-24-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I ran into a similar situation with HireRight. I worked for Company B, which was acquired by Company A.
I listed Company B on my HireRight forms, as I was not aware of the acquisition by Company A, as the acquisition was several years after I left Company B.

When the background check came back, HireRight could not find a record of Company B in it’s searches and notified the HR department of the hiring company. I received a call and email from HR requesting me to contact them.

I called HR and explained the situation to them, and they pretty much informed me that this situation occurs quite frequently and that it’s a “non issue.”
That's what I considered it too....a non-issue I pushed back to the potential employer asking for verification that this was all settled and 2 days have gone by with no word. Just creating unnecessary anxiety for something that does not matter as this is a position I really fought hard for and really want to secure.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:15 PM

If they ask for more information, you can always provide “hard evidence” that an acquisition occurred (news article, web link, etc.) I don’t see how they could refute hard facts.

In my case, the hiring company was really eager on hiring me for the open position, so they were pretty accepting of my explanation about the acquisition. They didn’t give me a hard time about it after I provided the explanation.

Quote:
That's what I considered it too....a non-issue I pushed back to the potential employer asking for verification that this was all settled and 2 days have gone by with no word. Just creating unnecessary anxiety for something that does not matter as this is a position I really fought hard for and really want to secure.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
If they ask for more information, you can always provide “hard evidence” that an acquisition occurred (news article, web link, etc.) I don’t see how they could refute hard facts.

In my case, the hiring company was really eager on hiring me for the open position, so they were pretty accepting of my explanation about the acquisition. They didn’t give me a hard time about it after I provided the explanation.
Good to know and I'm hoping today this is settled once and for all. Clearly wasn't hiding anything as one of the references I gave was for the employer that had been acquired so it's not like I was trying to show I never worked there.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:27 PM

Finally settled, start date secured! May I never, ever have to go through that again!

Old 05-25-2021, 01:32 PM

Congratulations!!

Quote:
Finally settled, start date secured! May I never, ever have to go through that again!

Old 08-28-2021, 03:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,916 times
Hello,

I'm in the UK and have also been told I would be screened by HireRight.

I have a formal job offer that's conditional to those checks.

I've told the hiring company that I'd rather wait for the checks to be cleared before I resign from my current position, but they replied this may take 8-10 weeks!
It doesn't really feel safe to resign before the offer becomes unconditional though...

As a result I definitely don't want HireRight to contact my current employer...
How long does it typically take in reality (10 weeks seems incredibly long - the check would still be going on when I'm already in the job)?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search