Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM

45 posts, read 285,975 times

Advertisements

Just Resigned today -Whilst its has not all been bad job and have been impressed with some of the people I worked with - the department I worked is full of some of the most pathetic immature people, our manager was never there, never spoke to us, never gave us any guidance - Your left with the attitude of if you need assistance ask for help which is fine to say - but lets be honest most co-workers are not there to help anyone.

There was no structure of a team, and just an every-man for himself attitude talking about specifics was avoided and basically no issues were discussed at meetings.

Usually in the past I complained, argued - this time kept my mouth shut and just resigned, now there in shock and asking why I resigned.

I sit beside people who spend half the day on the internet, and generally won't help anyone but of course know how to speak well at meetings, to be honest they will do their uptmost to hold others back.

So many organisations are stuck in this dysfunctional cycle - who refuse to listen to employee feedback, refuse to get rid of dysfunctional people who are basically parasites.

Anyway I have now got a much better job earning twice the money.

The question is - Do I tell the truth at an Exit Interview?

Last edited by curiosity123737; 11-09-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
In my 45 years of work experience, I found that the truth in exit interviews never solved anything. All you may do is burn the bridge to that company -- and, while you think you may never want to work there again, who knows what the future may hold? Congrats on the new job.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
In my 45 years of work experience, I found that the truth in exit interviews never solved anything. All you may do is burn the bridge to that company -- and, while you think you may never want to work there again, who knows what the future may hold? Congrats on the new job.
Yes its a denialist culture we live in where problems are shrugged off.

Perhaps its best to not tell them anything negative, your doing them a favour - after all do fired employee's get good full, proper meaningful feedback ?

Tell them everything is wonderful, and allow them to continue the cycle of dysfunction.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
The question is - Do I tell the truth at an Exit Interview?
Is there anything in it for you?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Is there anything in it for you?
Kinda what I'm thinking. I'd probably be very political about it and say something like "Thank you for the opportunity. I have decided to pursue other career interests at this time." Period.

Look at it this way, the fact that you're not telling them exactly why you're leaving (assuming it's negative) might just irk/frustrate them more, because maybe they are genuinely curious. I'm assuming that's the angle some people might be aiming for. Other companies probably just don't care why you're leaving and are only focused on finding your replacement.

Honestly, for those of you looking for satisfaction, I'd take the fact that you're leaving for another job and enjoy that as your satisfaction. I just don't think it matters in the long wrong if you tell an ex-employer that you're leaving over something negative.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
I wouldn't say too much. You resigned for a better opportunity that paid a lot more.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wouldn't say too much. You resigned for a better opportunity that paid a lot more.
I tried to resign today, and my manager could not be found anywhere, no one knew where he was or when he was back in the office - and had to find out from a co-worker he was out of the office for a few days who just happened to know because he spoke to him about other issues. This was one of the issues - out of the office all the time and leaves early every day - and does not tell his staff anything. He had left the office at 1 pm. Generally never speaks to staff unless there is a problem.

I thought of going to his boss, but thought this might cause a major drama, and get a load of stress for it- and probably offend him.

Therefore had to get his mobile number from senior staff member - and tell him over the phone after it not being answered numerous times he eventually phoned back - and told him sorry for not doing it to your face but he was not at his desk, and no one knew where he was. Then emailed a confirmation/resignation letter.

I needed to resign to serve notice period, and start new job as early as possible - I could not take the risk of waiting until he might be back in the office, and then having to serve notice period from that period on.

I think this tells you something about the dysfunction level when even resigning is difficult.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Some response are all right: more money, closer to home, perceived better advancement opportunities. Stay away from saying the company is all screwed up, your boss is a jerk, things like that.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
I tried to resign today, and my manager could not be found anywhere

You're making way too much of this. Why not go to his boss if he's not available and you need to give a certain amount of notice?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
You're making way too much of this. Why not go to his boss if he's not available and you need to give a certain amount of notice?
I think its basic manners/commonsense to tell people where you are, whats going on, put an out of office reply - if you can't get basics right - what chance do you have managing more complex things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search