Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
I think its basic manners/commonsense to tell people where you are, whats going on, put an out of office reply - if you can't get basics right - what chance do you have managing more complex things.

But you're leaving. Try to get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
If you are 100% certain that the department is in trouble, I would voice that. I wouldn't call anyone out, but I would make them aware of the inefficiencies within your division. The whole point of an exit interview is to see if there is anything they could have done better. Its in their best interest that you are honest. Just dont **** anyone off which is why I say you shouldn't use any names.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Oops! I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth at my exit interview. Seriously, I didn't know it was kinda taboo.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Oops! I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth at my exit interview. Seriously, I didn't know it was kinda taboo.
Well, it probably doesn't matter much. All in all, they probably won't take too much heed of what you said. Granted, you will probably never have another opportunity to work there as long as the same management is in place, but then again, why would you want to? You left after all.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Well, it probably doesn't matter much. All in all, they probably won't take too much heed of what you said. Granted, you will probably never have another opportunity to work there as long as the same management is in place, but then again, why would you want to? You left after all.
True that.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
I'd give some kind of bland "I just decided to move on" answer and leave it at that. I wouldn't bother congratulating them or bashing them.

Once you leave, the dynamics of that job will become irrelevant to you.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 AM

45 posts, read 285,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Kinda what I'm thinking. I'd probably be very political about it and say something like "Thank you for the opportunity. I have decided to pursue other career interests at this time." Period.

Look at it this way, the fact that you're not telling them exactly why you're leaving (assuming it's negative) might just irk/frustrate them more, because maybe they are genuinely curious. I'm assuming that's the angle some people might be aiming for. Other companies probably just don't care why you're leaving and are only focused on finding your replacement.

Honestly, for those of you looking for satisfaction, I'd take the fact that you're leaving for another job and enjoy that as your satisfaction. I just don't think it matters in the long wrong if you tell an ex-employer that you're leaving over something negative.
I think this the best way of dealing with it, there probably expecting me to start complaining - Don't give them the exact reason, leave them curious, irked, leave them with an knawing empty feeling.

Plus don't tell them where I am going -

The more I think about it a Exit Interview is just an exercise in Noseness to pry into your details - I wonder do you have to attend these things.

Why should you have to give any information to them, employers are secretive all the time, rarely give decent feedback, won't give you info about salaries then expect you spill our guts

Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
I would not burn bridges, you may need them for a reference in the future.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Tempting as it may be, no.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 AM

45 posts, read 285,914 times
I wonder will they come back with a counter offer - I will refuse no matter what they offer, I don't like the idea that they have to be forced into taking you seriously by resigning.

Plus its probably going to create bad feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search