Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 PM

38 posts, read 200,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
If you hadn't of lied to get the position, you never would have met this "kind" man.

Stop beating yourself up about it. The company will be FINE. They were fine before you and they'll be fine after.

If they didn't make things difficult for the longterm or even short-term unemployed, then people wouldn't have to resort to these tactics.
Thats one way to look at it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,843 times
Whole thread on a simliar subject. I was quite disgusted with some of the replies. I do not believe lying is the right answer. Apparently some city-data folks disagree. I don't think burning bridges helps anyone.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...out-lying.html

You might get fired and rightfully so but what you should take away from this is just do the right thing next time.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
All these people who are advocating creating false W2s should be ashamed of themselves but unfortunately they never will be because they are totally contemptuous of employers in general and feel that it's perfectly OK to cheat and lie in order to succeed. Their posts on this forum are legion and totally predictable.

I DO wholeheartedly agree with those who suggest that rather than just resign you come clean. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being honest. Not too long ago I took a chance on someone who very stupidly included on her employment application the name of a place she had worked at. She probably assumed that I wasn't going to do any checking and she was wrong. When I finally tracked down the business owner at whose place she had worked, it turned out that she was the prime suspect in a theft from the safe. To cut a long story short I faced her with what I'd been told. She came clean, in fact denied having been a part of the theft which she said was carried out by a coworker. Honestly her story didn't ring quite true but I gave her a chance anyway and very clearly let her know that if anything went sideways I would immediately fire her. She didn't last long as she couldn't adapt well to island life but she didn't mess with me and did her job well.

Your situation was borne of desperation in the job hunt and, as much as I don't condone it, you've nothing to lose by explaining what happened and you may well be able to keep your job. Just give it a try. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM

476 posts, read 467,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
I appreciate the feedback but I'm at peace with quitting. I don't want to incriminate myself anymore.
Don't beat yourself up over it, OP. We've all done stupid things, work-wise. I once signed up with a temp agency and they hooked me up with an IT call center job. I hated the environment. The girl training me was rude and spent most of the time looking at wedding dresses online. I was so miserable that I took the chicken route and never went back. Just told myself that I didn't have to ever go back to that place. I was afraid the temp agency would chew me out so I didn't call them about it, and found out later that I had been permanently black-listed with them and other nearby temp agencies! I would never be able to get a job with the temps in that area.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 AM

244 posts, read 634,380 times
Why not just say you can't locate your W-2? And then maybe have a friend vouch for you working there?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,900 times
Had you done some research in the beginning you would have realized this company checked out it's new hires completely. You might have been able to get by with this with a smaller company. Unless you left some personal property there I wouldn't even go back. Remember this the next time. Wasn't worth it. Was it?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
All these people who are advocating creating false W2s should be ashamed of themselves but unfortunately they never will be because they are totally contemptuous of employers in general and feel that it's perfectly OK to cheat and lie in order to succeed. Their posts on this forum are legion and totally predictable.

I DO wholeheartedly agree with those who suggest that rather than just resign you come clean. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being honest.
No, she shouldn't. For what?

You think they'll take "pity" on her and "understand" her situation, then let her stay on?

She's only been there for two days. She tells them the universal term that the employers uses "it's not a right fit" and move on. No harm, no foul.

Quote:
Not too long ago I took a chance on someone who very stupidly included on her employment application the name of a place she had worked at. She probably assumed that I wasn't going to do any checking and she was wrong. When I finally tracked down the business owner at whose place she had worked, it turned out that she was the prime suspect in a theft from the safe. To cut a long story short I faced her with what I'd been told. She came clean, in fact denied having been a part of the theft which she said was carried out by a coworker. Honestly her story didn't ring quite true but I gave her a chance anyway and very clearly let her know that if anything went sideways I would immediately fire her. She didn't last long as she couldn't adapt well to island life but she didn't mess with me and did her job well.
She might be telling the truth. I remember working retail once. I had closed the night before, counted the money and put it in the bank bag, but I don't think I sealed it (or don't remember). I put the bag in the safe, clocked out and left.

The next afternoon, the guy who opened asked me to drop the bag off at the bank. I said sure, why not. I've done it before. As the teller started to count the money, a huge amount of cash was missing! I was like no, recount it again, because I counted it MYSELF the night before and knew it balanced with the register receipt. It still didn't balance and I began to get pissed. I brought the bag and the money back to the store and told the guy that money is missing from this bag and did he know what happened to it. Of course, he said NO, but I knew he was lying and WORSE, I felt he was setting me up to take the fall.

Thankfully, my manager KNEW it wasn't true, because my register was never short dollars. Maybe a few cents here and there, but never dollars. I left shortly after and don't know what they did with him after, but I just said all this to say that the person you hired was probably telling the truth. If the owner didn't have sense enough to have a camera facing the safe, then he can't say that someone stole the money without proof. She could have sued him for that and would have been justified.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Whole thread on a simliar subject. I was quite disgusted with some of the replies. I do not believe lying is the right answer. Apparently some city-data folks disagree. I don't think burning bridges helps anyone.
She's not burning bridges. She doesn't know these people from Adam and probably will never see them again.

It's not like she's going to tell the TRUTH of why she's leaving. If she ever does happen to run into them again, they'll never say she was fired or let go from the job for LYING. The "not a good fit" line that employers use to weed out people is perfect. After two days, nothing was gained nor lost.

They should have checked her references BEFORE hiring her.

Quote:
You might get fired and rightfully so but what you should take away from this is just do the right thing next time.
There's no "might" about it. She WILL get fired. Telling the truth will serve NOTHING and NO ONE.

The OP got caught and will do better next time. After sending out another 300 resumes with no callbacks, I'm sure she'll resort to "lying" again, but this time she'll have her bases covered.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Fake a W-2?

That's pathetic.
No, what's "pathetic" is the employer having the BALLS to dare ask for it.

What do they need it for? They "claim" it's to verify what your last salary was? Why?

What difference does it make what my last salary was when you ALREADY have a figure in mind to pay me and I told you what I wanted??

For ME, I don't feel like going through the trouble of all of that, but I have no problem with others taking the time to.

My W2s are NONE OF MY NEW EMPLOYER'S BUSINESS.

Last edited by marilyn220; 02-13-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan2 View Post
when you lie you just have to lie well. the area you failed in is lying properly. everyone lies in one way or another (a lie of omission is still a lie). only thing is not everyone gets caught lying. no reason to beat yourself up about lying. just learn to do it better, or if you can't live with it don't do it at all. lol @ the high horse hypocrites espousing liars like they aren't one themselves.
Yeah, I'm LOLing at them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search