Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,452,987 times

Advertisements

The work number will only release salary informatin if the subject initiates it. The Subject must go onto the site and get a pin number for the request then give that PIN to the requestor.

As for employment history it lists some but not all companies you worked for. Not all companies use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 08:39 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,836,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
FACT: Unless you physically sign an IRS release form, SPECIFICALLY for a print out of your IRS pay/job etc history, NOBODY other than the IRS can view that information. Nobody. Ive been through this & know it to be a 100% guaranteed fact.
As I said before if you work within government your pay *IS* public.

In Massachusetts we have open checkbook
Massachusetts Open Checkbook Launched
This is going to take awhile but eventually all salaries will be disclosed and all spending details.

The city of springfield does a great job on this
City of Springfield Open Checkbook: Open Checkbook Payroll
6500 people are listed with their salaries. At no point is the IRS needed to find or provide such information as working in the public means it has to be publicly disclosed by law.

Now if someone is in a union the actual union negotiations are not public until the terms are finalized.

As for non profits generally the officers are listed on the non profits 990 form.
Here's one with a shoe string budget that works pretty well. Meals on wheels
http://www.meals-on-wheels.org/wp-co...90-FY-2013.pdf

Old 10-16-2014, 09:29 AM

368 posts, read 413,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
As I said before if you work within government your pay *IS* public.

In Massachusetts we have open checkbook
Massachusetts Open Checkbook Launched
This is going to take awhile but eventually all salaries will be disclosed and all spending details.

The city of springfield does a great job on this
City of Springfield Open Checkbook: Open Checkbook Payroll
6500 people are listed with their salaries. At no point is the IRS needed to find or provide such information as working in the public means it has to be publicly disclosed by law.

Now if someone is in a union the actual union negotiations are not public until the terms are finalized.

As for non profits generally the officers are listed on the non profits 990 form.
Here's one with a shoe string budget that works pretty well. Meals on wheels
http://www.meals-on-wheels.org/wp-co...90-FY-2013.pdf
I meant to say SSA not IRS. My bad.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
Hi could you tell me how I could access this information from Equifax? I am not a commercial verifier and just want information on myself so that I can accurately complete an application. I can't remember everywhere I worked 20 years ago and am trying to complete an application for a State position.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
Can you please help me pull my previous jobs record from equifax. Thanks

Old 10-15-2015, 04:34 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,252,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Id be surprised if this was "perfectly legal." Salary is actually a part of a private contract between an employer and employee. Id have to check with an attorney friend but Im pretty sure you aren't allowed to divulge contract details like this to other people. Plus hypothetically employees could dig up what their coworkers are being paid, this seems like it could be an HR nightmare.
I was thinking the same thing. It has been my experience that private-sector employers will often treat salary information as highly confidential. They won't reveal ranges to outsiders, and will not even disclose such information to candidates for employment.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times
Default Help The Work Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Please do some more research before responding next time.

Equifax owns a service they call "The Work Number" that provides independent verification of employment for subscribing companies, banks, lenders, etc. It is complete with salary information, job title, dates of employment, and so forth. I use it on all applicants post phone screen, and have since 2006. More and more employers and payroll services are reporting to this database, which makes it very convenient - I can generally verify 80-90% of employment history in minutes.

Old Tired Man : if you'd like to PM me, I can provide you instructions on how to pull your own report, so you can see what I'm referring to. Believe me, it is FAR more detailed than what you think it is.

I am not with an employer. How do I get access to The Work Number and access to pull my own employment report?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:59 AM

371 posts, read 527,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Social Security compiles total amount contributed to they system per year per employer. I looked at my "print out". You can go to SS administration and see yourself. It is not something that is casually available to anyone anywhere. If I recall correctly there is a special waiver you have to sign. This waiver is separate from the standard boilerplate background check waiver.
where is this print out? can someone provide the link to where I can get mine?

I have had some bad luck related to bad managers. I was told that if companies had your SSN then they could get the entire work history. I have a couple of jobs that I cannot put on my resume as the managers were awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search