Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times

Advertisements

16.) What would be a surprisingly positive thing someone could do within the first 90 days on the job?

17.) What challenges would I encounter if I take on this position?

18.) What are the most important opportunities for improvement in the area I hope to join?

19.) How does the Company recognize top performance and by what method will they calibrate results?

20.) How will you measure my leadership qualities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM

21.) How does the company support and promote personal and professional growth?

22.) What do I still need to learn about this company and the department?

23.) What are the success factors that will tell you if the decision to bring me on board was the right one?

24.) What is your background and how did you end up in your current role?

25.) How would you describe your management style and what type of employee you work best with?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 AM

26.) What do you enjoy the most about working here?

27.) What attracted you to this company?

28.) I've heard/read in the news that company XYZ just partnered with ABC on deal QWERTY, what are the implications of this partnership and how will it, in your opinion, expand the company's operations in ZXC?
Sorry for all the posts, but there were so many good questions, I didn't want to leave any of them off!
Everyone, please feel free to use any of these questions during your next interview! I know I will!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
26.) What do you enjoy the most about working here?

27.) What attracted you to this company?

28.) I've heard/read in the news that company XYZ just partnered with ABC on deal QWERTY, what are the implications of this partnership and how will it, in your opinion, expand the company's operations in ZXC?
Sorry for all the posts, but there were so many good questions, I didn't want to leave any of them off!
Everyone, please feel free to use any of these questions during your next interview! I know I will!!!
It's also important to know when TO STOP ASKING QUESTIONS...

Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Did you think that I was going to ask ALL of these questions? Of course not!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Thanks OP. This is a great thread. I've gotten so many ideas for future interviews if the need ever comes up. Most recently I was interviewing for a new boss. This was last year and the year before, and what a PIA that was. A number of my questions involved professional development, but they were pretty general. The questions here are specific. I could have used a few back then!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I have some "defensive" questions to ask as well but I didn't want to list them because they need to be used more delicately. There are certainly "closing" questions you can ask at the end as well -- how-do-you-like-me-so-far ? can-I-have-your-endorsement?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM

340 posts, read 913,981 times
How will my performance be evaluated?

Is this a new position? If not, why did the previous employee leave?

What is a typical day like for this position?

How many hours per week do similiar positions work?

Is there travel involved? If so, how much? (Be sure to get specific... one job may say 20% travel, but it could be that they send you away for 10 weeks in 1 chunk)

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I always ask:

1/ What is the company culture like?
2/ What will be my immediate manager's management style?
3/ How will I be measured in terms of success or failure?
4/ What will be my goals for the first 30, 60 and 90 days?
these are pretty much the ones i ask, plus i ask them to think back to someone who had the role before (if applicable) who did a really great job and tell me what set them apart from merely doing a good enough job. and i ask them what their timeline is for the hiring process if they haven't told me. it's also definitely good to ask specific questions that show you researched the company and processed what they told you in the interview.

i also say "how will my performance be measured" instead of saying "success or failure".

i would not ask them whether they think i'm a good fit or if there's something that makes them hesitant to hire me. that's basically like asking "so, do i have the job or what?" and can be REALLY awkward for an interviewer depending on how they feel about you. it's reassuring if they tell you what they think of you as a candidate, but you have to let them take the initiative to do that. to do otherwise comes across as pushy.

also, in my experience, asking about company culture almost NEVER produces an answer that actually tells you what it will be like to work in a place. a lot of people haven't thought hard about company culture and they're more likely to just say "oh everyone gets along great" or whatever. one woman told me that they have potlucks and i was like "?". but it still sounds good to ask! and every once in a while you come across an interviewer who HAS given it some thought and gives a really good answer.

i think in general, you want to think of a job interview as not just trying to get the job, but also trying to learn if the job is the right one for you. if you think about it that way, the questions come more easily.

Last edited by groar; 04-09-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
6.) May I ask where you are in the hiring process and what the next steps will be?

7.) Do you have a target date for when you would like this person to start?

8.) I'm very interested in this job and I'm wondering where I stand compared to your ideal candidate?

9.) Are there any concerns that you may have about my abilities to complete the duties of the position?

10.) How would you describe the personality of the organization?
Thanks for starting the topic.

Of all the questions posted I like #8 the best.

However most of these make me uncomfortable asking but I think I can get a few more that I will ask.

Just wondering if anyone else has anymore suggestions. This is the worst part of the interviewing process for me. Pretty sure I blew 2 second interviews because my questions were not good enough. I don't understand why that holds so much weight but whatever.

How many questions do you all usually ask? Does anyone else have a favorite from what has been discussed, or perhaps one that has not been listed?

TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search