Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 PM

120 posts, read 193,728 times

Advertisements

The recruiter set me up to interview with a lady on the phone today, which I did. When he sent me an email yesterday confirming the details of our phone interview, he also said he would like me to call him back about how the interview went. What does he want me to say? Do I just say I thought it went well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Pretty standard. Be honest and as complete as possible. A good recruiter wants to hear from both the employer and the candidate what happened -- if you think you answered lots of technical questions with an appropriate response and the employer says different the recruiter will probably want to look for different kinds of openings for you. If you both say tech stuff was good but maybe you think you think you were relaxed and employer thinks you did not seem eager enough MAYBE recruiter can prep you differently. If you sound excited about opportunity and employer did not think you had accurate idea of what the position involves maybe recruiter needs to better find details of situation ahead of time.

It is nice to have a phone interview with HR but most tech type firms have another round or two of telephone screenings or online tech tests and then maybe several in person interviews. It is almost impossible to be "over prepared". Good recruiters will want you to get better every round.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 PM

120 posts, read 193,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pretty standard. Be honest and as complete as possible. A good recruiter wants to hear from both the employer and the candidate what happened -- if you think you answered lots of technical questions with an appropriate response and the employer says different the recruiter will probably want to look for different kinds of openings for you. If you both say tech stuff was good but maybe you think you think you were relaxed and employer thinks you did not seem eager enough MAYBE recruiter can prep you differently. If you sound excited about opportunity and employer did not think you had accurate idea of what the position involves maybe recruiter needs to better find details of situation ahead of time.

It is nice to have a phone interview with HR but most tech type firms have another round or two of telephone screenings or online tech tests and then maybe several in person interviews. It is almost impossible to be "over prepared". Good recruiters will want you to get better every round.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Yep, this is standard with recruiters.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,721 times
He's trying to gauge how much he would start negotiating for you

Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,637 times
It's pretty standard. It's more like a survey they are taking. Just answer the questions thoroughly and stay positive.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
It's pretty standard. It's more like a survey they are taking. Just answer the questions thoroughly and stay positive.

This isn't even close. I just love it when people who have no idea answer things.

Here's a scenario that happened a couple of days ago where I work: Recruiter found a candidate and the person interviewed. After the interview, the recruiter talked to the company. The person who did the interview had a couple of concerns about the candidate. The recruiter discussed those concerns with the candidate and then reached out to the person doing the hiring. The candidate was passed on to the next round because the recruiter was able to alleviate the concerns the candidate was not able to during the interview, because the recruiter has a relationship with the person doing the hiring that the candidate can't even hope to have in a normal situation.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
He's trying to gauge how much he would start negotiating for you
And gauge the twenty other factors that can and will come up...
and long before anyone gets to any negotiation stage

Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,721 times
Oops i didnt know youre just starting out. In the expert level we dont get any babysitting and we get the more colder senior agents... always going for the big score. Then again all of them do

Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
The recruiter set me up to interview with a lady on the phone today, which I did. When he sent me an email yesterday confirming the details of our phone interview, he also said he would like me to call him back about how the interview went. What does he want me to say? Do I just say I thought it went well?
I would consider the recruiter your ally. I would do whatever it takes to make him happy. If he wants feedback, give it to him. I can't think of a reason why he would undermine you. Treat him like you're a defendant and he's your attorney. He's there to help himself by helping you. It's in his interests ($) to get you a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search