Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I don't know how it is now but back when I was in college a new Walmart was going to open in town and thought I should apply there for a summer job.......I laugh every time I think about Walmart.

They want me to remember everything I did since the beginning of time. I show up and the brain-washing begins with this "It's YOUR store" video crap before I even started my first interview. I was told that if I did well after the first interview, they wanted me to come back for two more interviews.....I was like....OMFG...I'm just trying to get a part-part time cashier job for the summer working minimum wage, I'm not applying to be CEO of Walmart. LFMAO.
Lmfao, that's ridiculous. I laughed out loud when I read that. I swear...the things companies make you go through just to get a job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Lmfao, that's ridiculous. I laughed out loud when I read that. I swear...the things companies make you go through just to get a job...
Sadly I don't things will change until we are in a recovered economy. Once that happens then perhaps we'll see a change. I am not a sothsayer so I do not know the answer.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
Good old personality tests with no correct answer. Screw that noise, I just go onto the next employer, I am too old to be playing mindfock games for BS jobs.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I just spent the last 90 minutes applying for a job online.

First I had to answer a bunch of questions if I qualified for the job,
Are you over 18 years old?
Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
Are you legally able to work in this country?
Do you have experience in computers? and so on.

Then they wanted me to list my specific experience that applied to the job posted. I had to pull this information out of my resume and format it into something that made sense.

Then they wanted me to post my resume into a text only box, even after pasting it into notepad and fixing it, it still screwed up the formatting so I had to fix that.

Now I can upload my resume to the system. Not sure what the point of me posting in text for was for, if your just going to have me upload it anyway.

Then it extracts the resume jobs into a list of boxes, that I have to go into each one and confirm it translated correctly, Of course it didn't and I have to fix some and add two jobs missing.

Then it want me to break out my skills and say how much experience I have in each one and when is the last time i used it.

Not they want certifications, the cert number, when I obtained it.

Not it's on to references, I have to add each one.

This it's back to have you ever been convicted of a crime? This is one of the first questions I answered at the beginning of the application. Maybe I should have typed in I haven't been yet, but I might be before I finish this application.

A couple of agree boxes and I'm done. I'm rewarded with a canned email,

"We appreciate your interest in our company. While we would like to contact each applicant directly, due to the number of responses that we receive, we are only able to contact the most qualified candidates based on the criteria for the position..."

After all that, I think they should be down on there hands in front of me begging me to take the job. I never had to go through so much BS to fill out a job application. Complete BS if you ask me. If it wasn't a tight job market, I'd call them and tell them where to shove there online application.

ay yi yi just reading this makes me tired. That is ridiculous that it takes so much just to apply online.

90 minutes? pffffttt

Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
A sensible online system would be something like: Contact Info. Attach Cover Letter and Resume and Other Documents. Quick personnel quiz asking about relevant skills and experience and legal stuff. Thanks and we'll call you.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
ay yi yi just reading this makes me tired. That is ridiculous that it takes so much just to apply online.

90 minutes? pffffttt
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
A sensible online system would be something like: Contact Info. Attach Cover Letter and Resume and Other Documents. Quick personnel quiz asking about relevant skills and experience and legal stuff. Thanks and we'll call you.
Agree with both. For me, it seems like every company I apply for makes you fill out a full profile that takes 90+ minutes. All you really just want to do is apply for 1 job on their site, and they make you go through the type of process people used to only be subjected to after they were given an actual job offer.

Why in the world can't I just submit my resume, have you scan it or do whatever you do with it, and then if you're still interested in me, I'll dedicate those 90 minutes to your invasive process. I'm so sick and tired of dedicating so much of my time to each of these applications and then getting a canned rejection letter (or nothing at all). These hiring managers are soulless. Anything to widdle the number of applicants from 1,000 to 100 to save money on payroll. In the process, they lose some of the best applicants. Yet, these same hiring managers somehow find the time to comb social media outlets like Facebook to see what type of person you are. Then they wonder why they are one of the most despised groups of people outside of the members of Congress.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:31 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
I've been lucky that I haven't had to use those applications in a while. I've been working for non-profits and smaller companies. I feel your pain though. Those applications are tedious to say the least.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 AM

10 posts, read 52,767 times
In my experience, government sites are the worst, especially county applications. I applied for a job with Sacramento County and they asked 25 questions asking for details on my work experience and how it would apply to the position I was applying for. This was after they asked for my resume. Private firms and non-profit organizations are much better. Just cover letter and resume and you're set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search